• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Last Book You Read

Literature Prose

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#321 Offline (Daedalus)

(Daedalus)
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 06-August 08
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 03 2014 - 06:34 PM

The last full novel that I read was The Scarlet Letter, which was for my American Literature class. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, as despite knowing it is a classic, most people I know despise it.

Currently reading Black by Ted Dekker, and I'm beginning to remember why I liked him so much. I was a huge fan in junior high and high school, but the more I read of his works, the less I liked him. He is excellent at writing thrillers--he tends to start things off with a bang (sometimes literally)--and he has some great twists. The problem is, his books are almost like romance novels; they have a certain formula, even for characters, and they don't deviate much. Again, what he does write is excellent, but after reading several of his novels in a row, it feels like the same story told in a slightly different way and in a different place. I especially dislike his so-obsessed-with-someone-or-something-that-he-cannot-think-properly-and-does-stupid-things main characters. Once I discovered this, I stopped reading his stuff for a long time (the only exception being The Priest's Graveyard, which, despite being dark and a little twisted, is quite different from his other works, and it resonates with me in a strange way).

However, I got the itch to read The Circle Trilogy, of which Black is the first part, and I'm not regretting it. I can see that same old formula popping up, but since I haven't been exposed to it in a long time, it works. I can't wait to read the other two.

"I thought that I could do evil to achieve good. I thought that I could handle it, that the ends justified the means. But when you have no predilection for evil, when good is what your soul desires, and you try to do evil... that is to fool the soul, and in the end, the soul will not be fooled." -- Kalarn

BZPRPG Profiles

Trauer and Faora

#322 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 22-October 11
  • 1,167 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 04 2014 - 10:41 AM

The last full novel that I read was The Scarlet Letter, which was for my American Literature class. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, as despite knowing it is a classic, most people I know despise it.

I'm one of those people. :/

There aren't many books that I flat-out dislike, but that's one of them.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

May both Mata Nui and Ekimu be with you, traveler, and let not Makuta shed shadow on your way.

#323 Offline (Daedalus)

(Daedalus)
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 06-August 08
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 04 2014 - 01:58 PM

Really? Is there any particular reason? I suppose part of the reason I liked it was the context in which I read it, but I'm still curious why so many people dislike it.

"I thought that I could do evil to achieve good. I thought that I could handle it, that the ends justified the means. But when you have no predilection for evil, when good is what your soul desires, and you try to do evil... that is to fool the soul, and in the end, the soul will not be fooled." -- Kalarn

BZPRPG Profiles

Trauer and Faora

#324 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 22-October 11
  • 1,167 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 04 2014 - 02:08 PM

Really? Is there any particular reason? I suppose part of the reason I liked it was the context in which I read it, but I'm still curious why so many people dislike it.
Honestly, I don't find it very well written (not in the way you might think I mean; I do typically love books written in an older, 17-1800's style, I think it isn't written well by the same standards you would judge pretty much any book, such as rambling sentence-paragraphs (ironic that this is becoming one), fairly boring characters, etc., as well as a quite boring plot that doesn't... really... go anywhere, that I remember.
(Keep in mind that I read this two or so years ago.)

Edited by Kopekemaster, Dec 04 2014 - 05:48 PM.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

May both Mata Nui and Ekimu be with you, traveler, and let not Makuta shed shadow on your way.

#325 Offline (Daedalus)

(Daedalus)
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 06-August 08
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 04 2014 - 02:45 PM

Honestly, I don't find it very well written (not in the way you might think I mean; I do typically love book written in an older, 17-1800's style, I think it isn't written well by the same standards you would judge pretty much any book, such as rambling sentence-paragraphs (ironic that this is becoming one), fairly boring characters, etc., as well as a quite boring plot that doesn't... really... go anywhere, that I remember.

(Keep in mind that I read this two or so years ago.)

Now that you mention it, all those things are true, but none of them really bothered me. Again, though, I think my liking the book had to do with the context in which I read it. It was for an American literature class, and we had previously read stuff by William Bradford, John Winthrop, and the like. It was interesting to see how Hawthorne incorporated their beliefs and then kind of turned them on their heads. A lot of that had to do with the ambiguities present within The Scarlet Letter. But I can definitely see why someone wouldn't like it.

EDIT: Finished the Circle Trilogy. It was... well, it was incredible. I had forgotten how effective a writer he is. The story resonated with me in a way it didn't the first time I read it. To be honest, I'm a sucker for a well-written story of redemption and love, and that's basically what the Circle Trilogy is all about.

Edited by (Daedalus), Dec 15 2014 - 01:03 PM.

BZPRPG Profiles

Trauer and Faora

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users