Last Book You Read

Queen of Liars

Mostly philosophy books.Halo and PhilosophyVillains and PhilosophyRiddles of ExistenceThe Conscious Mind (not finished yet)Existentialism and Human Emotions (almost finished)The Portable Nietzsche (so far bits and pieces but I just started the whole thing).

Edited by Proud Stigma

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

'Fault in Our Stars' by John Green, probably one of my favorite books, which is saying a lot.'Stolen' by Lucy Christopher, which was awesome, but not as awesome as the aforementioned title *points up ^^*

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. it was a very good read, and connected to me a bit more because it was a book written mainly about gamers, so yay. Im now reading "The Infernal City" by Greg Keyes. It's an Elder scrolls book, and it's very good so far

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

Well, I finished The Dark Knight Returns TP (if that counts).I enjoyed it for the most part, I found it very re-readable, but it did have it's flaws.Also, why

did they change the part in the original fight with Superman, where the sun rose, and Bruce lost? I don't like the change where Bruce gives his speech about "remember who beat you". It reminds me too much of Frank Miller's later work *coughDK2cough*.

The last book I read was Different Seasons, a collection of four short stories by Stephen King: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption​, Apt Pupil, The Body and The Breathing Method. Each story climaxes during a season of the year, Spring through Winter respectively.The first one was Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, which tells the story of an inmate, Andy Dufresne, told from the point of few of an old inmate named Red. I don't really have much to say about the story. Honestly, my opinion is completely clouded by the amazing movie version that I saw first. I did like it. I think King's knack for storytelling is much stronger when he's not trying to rely on shock and horror.Apt Pupil - The novella is about a boy, Todd, who seeks out an ex Nazi living in his hometown. He visits the old man everyday, forcing him to recount memories of what he experienced while working in the concentration camps. Eventually the two get locked in a cat-and-mouse game. Todd doesn't want people to know he's been visiting the ex-Nazi, and the ex-Nazi doesn't want people to find out that he is one. I heavily disliked this one. As a work of horror, it isn't scary or even disturbing. As a work of fiction, it's overlong and confusing. For starters, King gives us no reason to understand why telling these stories has the effect on the characters that it does. I think King believes heavily that a story has the power to influence a person (the novel opens with a quote: "It's the tale, not he who tells it"), but I need a better explanation than that in order to believe the premise of the story; that a story can drive a person to madness.Second, the supposed cat and mouse game should have been over by about two-thirds into the book. But King proceeded to explain to the reader, through Todd, that the game would never be up until the old man was dead. The explanation, which I will not give here in order to avoid a long summary of the story, was unfounded and, quite frankly, senseless. And the story proceeds for another 100 pages or so only to give the reader a ridiculous ending that only exists for shock value. Honestly, this is probably the worst King story I've read so far. Not recommendedThe Body - Most of us know this as the movie Stand By Me. This is, in my opinion, the best novella in the book, and one of the best stories King has ever written. For those not familiar, it's about four childhood friends who go in search of the body of a boy killed by a train. It's not supernatural fiction, nor is a horror story. Just an honest, and perfectly captured, peek into the innocence of childhood. Like with Rita Hayworth, King doesn't have to rely on shock value here in order to tell his story, which is exactly why it excels as a piece of storytelling. The relationship between the boys and their journey is what compelled me to keep reading. Highly recommended.The Breathing Method - The final story, and the shortest one, is also a supernatural horror story. It's about a man who joins a mysterious story telling club, and the narrative is a retelling of one of the stories told at that club. The story-within-a-story (also the main story... if that makes sense) is about a doctor who takes on a pregnant patient, and helps prepare her for delivery day by training her for the Breathing Method, employed during childbirth to make things easier on the mother. Without spoilers, this story-within-a-story ends on a rather creepy note. What I love about this novella is that it reads more like Lovecraft than typical King (I would not be surprised if he was the inspiration). Instead of shock and gore, the novella reads more like a traditional ghost story, with slow tension and build up. The frame story also plays out like a traditional haunted house novel. There's something not right and disturbing about the club's meeting place, but the reader is never given an explanation. The fact that it's left up to the reader's imagination just makes it all the more creepy. Recommended.tl;dr:Different Seasons is a decent collection of four novellas. The Body, The Breathing Method, and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption are all exceptional stories. Apt Pupil is awful. So while I recommend the collection...just skip over that last one.Other stories I've read prior to this are Fahrenheit 451, and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. Both are highly recommended. I'm currently in the middle of Life of Pi, and plan to follow it up with Brave New World and A Game of Thrones.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Since my last post I've read The Two Minute Rule, by Robert Crais; Gideon's War, by Howard Gordon; The Black Echo, by Michael Connelly; The Black Ice, by Michael Connelly; The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien; and Skin, by Ted Dekker. I could've sworn there was another or two, but maybe not. All of those books were great, with the exception of The Two Minute Rule which was enjoyable but not the best. Currently reading The Children of Húrin, by J.R.R. Tolkien.newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

• 3 weeks later...

Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian by Eoin Colfer. Not my favorite book in the series but it's pretty darn close, and a fantastic way to finish off an epic series.

Though it's interesting to note that Artemis knew what the raised fist sign means, militarily, in The Lost Colony, he forgot it in The Last Guardian. For someone of his intelligence, he should have remembered.Also Myles and Beckett are great characters. Beckett's *ahem* gift to Juliet had me in stitches.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Just finished reading The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak (click for review). Since my latest post, however, I have finished reading The Children of Húrin, by J.R.R. Tolkien, as well as all seven Harry Potter books for the first time (ranting/review to come soon, probably, in my blog). All were quite fantastic and definitely recommended. newso1.png

Edited by Velox

Yesterday I finally read the first four Bionicle books (Tale of the Toa, Beware the Bohrok, Makuta's Revenge, Tales of the Masks). Being roughly a hundred pages each, with huge, spaced out text (so really make them 50 pages or less in normal-book-size), they were very easy reading. I enjoyed them, however, for what they were. I felt the first three were particularly rushed, but the fourth was better as it went back and explained some things. Making my way through Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin, now. Very, very good, but very dense -- if you have a lot of time to enjoy it, then it'll be very enjoyable. But if you want to just read it quickly, it might not be for you. newso1.png

• 3 weeks later...

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald on my own time before school could ruin it with its analytical questions.The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, because school made me. But its okay because I liked it, but not the work that went along with it =/

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)

Coincidentally (as I'm posting it on BZP) the last book I read was Bionicle Adventures 2: Trial by Fire. Awesome book, really fleshed out that montage from LOMN. Cool action to boot, I can see the stuff in my head as I read. Best part is, it was in the school library and it boosted my grades to read it.Acquired in the same way, and in the process of reading, the LOMN novelization. Unfortunately, couldn't find any other Bionicle books at all.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

The Dresden Files: Changes - The twelfth book in The Dresden Files. I mostly reread it because I was bored and wanted to take a book to my cross country meet yesterday. However, this reading has led me to being very confused with Uriel's seven words as he gives Harry to sets of seven words - one in Changes and one in Ghost Story. I probably won't reread Ghost Story mostly because I felt that it wasn't very interesting and just seemed to crawl.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Pale Fire by Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov: It's one of very few genuinely meaningful books (i.e., having a purpose other than comedy) to actually make me laugh out loud, which puts it in the ranks occupied by Candide and some of Jonathan Swift's essays. Moreover, the whole structure and multiple narratives are brilliant. I'll have to reread the book some time with more of an emphasis on determining whether Charles Kinbote is a real person; this time, I mostly read it as a satire of academia and the idea of the "death of the author."

Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. A brilliant dystopian novel that actually manages to be a little scary when compared with modern world events. Definitely a book that keeps you thinking long after you've finished. Trust me, it's a book that is most certainly worth reading, even if it seems like a "school book."

I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire. This was soon after I started watching Game of Thrones. :P I haven't gotten too far, but it's been fun so far. I like how each chapter focuses on different characters so you're not bombarded with a hundred different personalities at once lol. Makes it easier to get to know the character.

Some books I've read recently include the Bible and the Dialogues of Plato. For college, not entertainment. :P

Edited by Mr. Fluffy

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

Well, I just read about 50 pages each from Constitutional and Administrative Law by Alex Carroll and English Legal System by Elliott & Quinn tonight. Yup, studying law is just as fun as it sounds.In terms of reading for enjoyment, I'm currently re-reading Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange. Fantastic book.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 4 weeks later...

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain. Sadly school made me read it, so I didn't enjoy it very much, I rushed through it and had to do the study guide etc. etc.And then, I just finished Of Mice and Men, by Steinbeck. Goodness, I can't remember the last time a book made me cry. The ideas in the book were horrible things, but the book, the writing, the execution, it was all so brilliant. Its a novella I definitely want my own copy of.

Dangit, I forgot about this...let's see, since my last post I have finished:A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin. A fantastic book, but definitely not a "page-turner". If you have the time, and take the time, to enjoy it, it will be incredibly enjoyable. The Concrete Blonde, by Michael Connelly -- another great book. Definitely one of my favorites; it was awesome having court scenes throughout the novel, as Detective Harry Bosch was on trial while working a case. The Last Coyote, by Michael Connelly -- again, a good book. The Concrete Blonde was slightly better, but I loved this one as well -- Harry Bosch solves the case of his mother's murder. I also read the three novellas A Brewing Storm, A Raging Storm, and A Bloody Storm, by Richard Castle, after becoming addicted to the TV show Castle (thanks to Aderia and Ezorov). They weren't the best (A Brewing Storm being the best of the three), but they were still fairly enjoyable.Currently reading Trunk Music, by Michael Connelly. newso1.png

Edited by Velox

Just finished up A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, and I don't exaggerate when I say it might well be the best non-fiction memoir I have ever read.-Teezy

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Just finished Reflex, the sequel to Steven Gould's Jumper. Wasn't quite as compelling as the first, mostly because it just begs itself to be adapted as a movie, with half-baked plot contrivances. Also recently finished Nick Hornby's High Fidelity, which was amusingly realistic.Been reading various philosophical texts for school as well, but nothing particularly interesting. Also some books on policing, again for school: Cop in the Hood by Peter Moskos and Breaking Rank by Norm Stamper. Interesting enough, I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird, for the first time, and it was brilliant. I also reread Graceling by Kristin Cashore, which isn't exactly as well known, but I also love it.

Re-read A Separate Peace for the third time a few weeks ago. I love the characters in the story, and I love how the plot progresses, but despite this being the third read-through I'm still trying to figure out what it's about. Not on a superficial level, I mean what it's about- what the themes of the book are. Maybe I'm just dense. I guess I'll have to read it again.I'm currently in the middle of Bridge to Terabithia (third time around) and Cloud Atlas (first time around). It goes without saying that the former is a classic. I'm about half way through the latter, but feel like I'm missing a key part of the story. I can't really figure out how these stories relate to each other in any way, with the exception of one or two references between them. Of course the book has an entire half left to flesh the connections out, and I'm hoping it does so.

BZPRPG

• 4 weeks later...

A Streetcar Named Desire, the script version, which I wasn't wild about mostly just because of the theme of the play.

I started and finished City of Bones, by Michael Connelly yesterday. Great book, as expected. Currently reading Lost Light, also by Michael Connelly, as I slowly make my way through his Harry Bosch series.

Since my latest post I have also read (in order of oldest-read to most-recently read): A Monster Calls, by Patrick Ness (for the second time); Angel's Flight, by Michael Connelly; Transfer of Power, by Vince Flynn (for the second time); The Third Option, by Vince Flynn (also for the second time); A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole (review); The Last Man, by Vince Flynn (an amazing book); The Four Loves, by C. S. Lewis (another amazing, amazing book -- highly recommended); Cold Days, by Jim Butcher (extremely enjoyable book); and A Darkness More than Night, by Michael Connelly (also extremely good).

newso1.png