Pokemon Black: I love it and hate it.

I love it since it was such a great and innovative game when it was released. The Pokemon are great, the story is fun, and the post-game is chock-full of stuff. However, it's easy to hate since its main feature is its Wi-Fi connections. And the day after I got Black, Nintendo Wi-Fi support was removed so the Entralink and all that is forever barred to me.

i never touched the entralink once and don't feel as though i'm missing out

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Pokemon Black: I love it and hate it.

I love it since it was such a great and innovative game when it was released. The Pokemon are great, the story is fun, and the post-game is chock-full of stuff. However, it's easy to hate since its main feature is its Wi-Fi connections. And the day after I got Black, Nintendo Wi-Fi support was removed so the Entralink and all that is forever barred to me.

i never touched the entralink once and don't feel as though i'm missing out

I don't exactly feel like I'm "missing out", persay, but imagine if you got Pokemon X and Y and couldn't use character customization or Pokemon Amie. You wouldn't feel too bad about it, as it is fairly minor, but you'd still be disappointed that you're missing the game's headliner extra.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

You aren't missing out on the Entralink. The Dream World, yes, but the Entralink was always local wireless only otherwise. And the Dream World was discontinued before even Wi-Fi in general. =/

Oh, well that's good. It looked a bit overblown as it is.

Also, something I noticed concerning Grunts: they always have the same stupid Pokemon.
Grunt: "Hey boss, I caught a Gyrados, can I use it?"

Giovanni: "No! You will use Rattata and you will LIKE IT!"

• Upvote 1

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

My opinion on the villainous teams.

Rocket is a bunch of criminals, Magma & Aqua are bio-terrorists, Galactic actually succeeded in their plans, but I feel that Plasma were the best to me, they can come off as preachy, but they raise a fair point on why we shouldn't fight with pokemon. Unfortunately, Flare comes off as a bunch of fashion models wearing suits.

Edited by Arnold Schwarzenegger

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

plasma was the best overall. N and Ghetsis were god-tier leaders, they had the best motives and they had the most challenging (lol) fights out of any of the team. flare was cool functionally, but so cheesily written that i'm not sure if they were bad on purpose or not. rocket was written alright, they were just a gang, but that was cool. it's better to not try and not fail than to try and fail miserably. aqua and magma were too goofy and nonsensical to be even considered as good villains. 

• Upvote 1

My opinion on the villainous teams.

Rocket is a bunch of criminals, Magma & Aqua are bio-terrorists, Galactic actually succeeded in their plans, but I feel that Plasma were the best to me, they can come off as preachy, but they raise a fair point on why we shouldn't fight with pokemon. Unfortunately, Flare comes off as a bunch of fashion models wearing suits.

Galactic succeed?

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

• 2 months later...

Also, something I noticed concerning Grunts: they always have the same stupid ###### Pokemon.

Grunt: "Hey boss, I caught a Gyrados, can I use it?"

Giovanni: "No! You will use Rattata and you will LIKE IT!"

Maybe they're just clones of the same Pokemon.

"Sir, we have the budget for either a cloning lab or a shipment of Pokeballs."

"What would we need a cloning lab for?"

"Every criminal organization needs a cloning lab."

"Really?"

"Team Galactic has one."

"YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT BLUE-HAIRED MANIAC ACROSS THE POND IS OUTDOING ME IN NEFARIOUSNESS?"

"...yes, sir..."

"GET OUT OF MY OFFICE, GET ME A CLONING LAB, AND DON'T SHOW YOUR FACE TO ME UNTIL YOU DO!  Or I'm throwing you with that Meowth on your next mission!"

"Y-yes sir Mr. Giovanni sir!"

"So you're saying it was cheaper to clone a single Rattata for all of us than it was to buy us Pokeballs?"

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say the current generation. Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are great games for beginners but Pokemon Omega Ruby and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire are also a good jumping on point. The only differences between the games are the Pokemon you can catch in them and (in XY's case very tiny, in ORAS' case much larger but ultimately rather unimportant) story differences.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

I'd say the current generation. Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are great games for beginners but Pokemon Omega Ruby and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire are also a good jumping on point. The only differences between the games are the Pokemon you can catch in them and (in XY's case very tiny, in ORAS' case much larger but ultimately rather unimportant) story differences.

Thanks!

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

nah man start at red its coming to the eshop

Bad idea. The original Pokémon games may have been great for their time, but for someone who is used to modern, well-polished games, I think they cast the series in a pretty bad light. They'd be great for someone who has already played modern Pokémon games to play for some retro historical context, but for someone just getting into the series the modern games provide a much more compelling reason to invest yourself in the series.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Bad idea. The original Pokémon games may have been great for their time, but for someone who is used to modern, well-polished games, I think they cast the series in a pretty bad light. They'd be great for someone who has already played modern Pokémon games to play for some retro historical context, but for someone just getting into the series the modern games provide a much more compelling reason to invest yourself in the series.

honestly, if someone were to recommend an old generation, gold/silver/crystal would be the better option

at least they aren't buggy, broken messes that are hailed as "so much better than any of the other games!!11!!1!" like gen 1 is.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

honestly, if someone were to recommend an old generation, gold/silver/crystal would be the better option

at least they aren't buggy, broken messes that are hailed as "so much better than any of the other games!!11!!1!" like gen 1 is.

Agreed there.

I like RGBY as much as the next person... But they have not aged gracefully. When you can utterly break the game just by saving and doing innocent things, it's pretty obvious that it's a -bit- too broken.

Play them only after X/Y/OR/AS. =P

That said, even GSC had its big glitches, but they were... a lot harder to do, and typically needed RGBY to have an entry point. Probably one reason why they broke off contact with Gen 3... "Okay, can we stop allowing players to send up things that can break the game?"

Nine languages, actually. ^^

Also, it's a very good possibility, since back when Complete Zygarde was announced, they made certain to specify it was still Dragon/Ground. It's possible it's like Gen 2, and perhaps has a focus on Zygarde in the postgame...

Much like Delta Episode.

Also, it's a very good possibility, since back when Complete Zygarde was announced, they made certain to specify it was still Dragon/Ground. It's possible it's like Gen 2, and perhaps has a focus on Zygarde in the postgame...

Much like Delta Episode.

Yeah that seems about right, probably wont be in the main game since he'd overshadow the cover legendaries.

It also seems that we can transfer the pokemon we get from the RBY re-release to pokemon Sun and Moon via Pokemon Bank. This implies either no guard fissure Machamp could be a thing in the future, moves are deleted from RBY pokemon, or that a third thing is planned.

its not a remake bruv they aren't changing a dang thing. the stupid mechanics just added to the games charm. rby are probably my favourite of the pokemon games but only because they're so outlandishly different from the rest of them. going back and nuzlocking a 1st gen game is a great experience and i've definitely replayed them more than any other game, despite starting at pearl. 

Regarding the potential game-breaking move/ability combos that would supposedly be possible by giving RBY Pokémon modern abilities, part of me wonders whether the idea that RBY imported Pokémon would get updated to modern standards when imported might itself be a flawed assumption.

What if Pokémon imported from those games have "special properties" that differentiate them from Pokémon caught in modern games? For instance, potentially not having abilities or even genders at all? Obviously their stats might still have to be updated to a certain extent just to make them competitive, but otherwise I don't know if anything would be broken by just importing them as-is. Without abilities, the slightly broken movepools of those games would be tempered significantly, and if they lacked genders as well they could even be prevented from chain breeding those moves to modern Pokémon. Those differences could even be represented visually—what if imported Pokémon even kept their monochrome Game Boy color schemes?

It's just an idea, and I don't know how appealing or even practical it would be. But it certainly would be an interesting way to avert the issues created by maintaining the Pokémon's original movesets but updating everything else.

Regarding the potential game-breaking move/ability combos that would supposedly be possible by giving RBY Pokémon modern abilities, part of me wonders whether the idea that RBY imported Pokémon would get updated to modern standards when imported might itself be a flawed assumption.

What if Pokémon imported from those games have "special properties" that differentiate them from Pokémon caught in modern games? For instance, potentially not having abilities or even genders at all? Obviously their stats might still have to be updated to a certain extent just to make them competitive, but otherwise I don't know if anything would be broken by just importing them as-is. Without abilities, the slightly broken movepools of those games would be tempered significantly, and if they lacked genders as well they could even be prevented from chain breeding those moves to modern Pokémon. Those differences could even be represented visually—what if imported Pokémon even kept their monochrome Game Boy color schemes?

It's just an idea, and I don't know how appealing or even practical it would be. But it certainly would be an interesting way to avert the issues created by maintaining the Pokémon's original movesets but updating everything else.

It's certainly an interesting idea. Considering that (to my knowledge) Machamp is the only one who could be game breaking, the best solution would be to make no guard and OHKO moves incompatible or leave him as is. Depends on if Game Freak thinks it's broken really.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

• 2 months later...

Sun and Moon Hype!

What version are you getting and what's your starter

I'm going moon version. The blue lunar bat is more appealing than the mostly white sun lion.
My starter will be either Rowlet or Popplio. Litten just doesn't interest me. Though when there evolutions are shown I might change my opinion.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

I'll almost certainly will be starting with Rowlet, which is adorable, has a fairly rare type combination, and will presumably be able to learn Fly once it's fully evolved, if not sooner.

But I can't choose a version this early. The box legendary is fairly low on my list of criteria when I choose that sort of thing (since I rarely actually use a Legendary in my team), and we hardly know anything else about the version differences at this point (exclusive Pokémon, story differences, region differences, etc.). So I probably won't make a final decision about that until much later.

• 1 month later...

It's kinda interesting, but I'm a bit cautious about it admittedly. ^^' It could be a nice take on things, and the stuff at E3 sounded kinda cool, though I don't really have a smartphone that can take advantage of it yet; though that may change by the time it releases, hopefully ^^'

The only thing I'm worried about, is how the microtransactions they've mentioned will factor in; I hope it's not too invasive, since I really like how the main games are such a complete package. The evolution method is also a bit of a throwing off thing(and might have been able to be changed up if there had've been Pokemon in the wild battles, maybe?), but it does sound interesting.

Really, I'm kinda optimistic in a way, though I hope they don't take too long to release the other generations of Pokemon into Go, since a lot of my favourites are from the later ones... But it sounds like they have a plan for it. ^^

Is anyone else interested/excited in Pokemon Go? From what I've read and seen, it looks like it could be a cool new take on the franchise. Initially it's only going to feature the original 151 Pokemon, so that piques my interest from a nostalgia perspective too.

I'm mildly interested. I'm excited to have a game that will allow me to take greater advantage of the walks I like to go on (and am hoping that my local vicinity will offer some unique Pokémon, what with the mix of urban, rural, and undeveloped areas as well as an abundance of historical sites). But whether I can make the most of the social features of the game will depend partly on my small circle of local friends and whether they get hooked on the game. And based on the simple mechanics I've heard about so far, the emphasis on repetition, and the apparent lack of any sort of non-emergent story, I don't know whether it'll appeal to me in the same way as the main series games, which allow me to form a sort of personal connection to the unique Pokémon I make a part of my team.

The only thing im worried about Pokemon Go is the Pokemon locations and the availability of the game where i live but i shouldn't worry of the first one as much because im almost 16. But seriously i really hope the game is available for cheap Android Phones.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

I'm cautiously excited for GO, but at the same time...ehh

Granted, the main reason i wouldn't get it is because that means going outside to use it. And when you live in a place where the heat index regularly goes over 110, it's...not a good idea to go outside a lot.

In other news, more new pokemon revealed today! Putting it in a spoiler (along with my thoughts), since, well, spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTt65qAkR84

So, to start with, we have Tapu Koko. Wow. I really dig it. Electric/fairy isn't a new typing (Gen 6's pikachu clone had it) but it's still cool to see more fairy types regardless. I dig the design, it's INCREDIBLY fitting for the region. Love it. Wonder how it'll play into the story, since according to the e3 demo it's a "guardian" of the starting island...

Next up, Charjabug and Vikavolt. Oh my god I love Vikavolt. So much. Railgun bug? Yes please. Electric/Bug is a cool typing, too. Probably an evolution of Grubbin, which makes me happy. Will probably put on my team, actually! At least for a bit.

Then there's Drampa. It looks so silly...in a good way. It's some kind of dopey Loch Ness monster. Dragon/Normal is new, too.

Then there's Bruxish, which looks...scary. Very scary. It certainly looks like a tropical fish in terms of colors, and reminds me a lot of a parrot fish. It just unnerves me. I wonder if it'll be always female, or if the male version will look different...or if it'll look exactly the same as male/female!

Cutiefly. Well, they're being obvious about that name. It's meant to be cute. And it is. It looks just like an actual bug, but I can't remember the actual name of the bug...

Togedemaru (AKA Gen 7 Pikaclone) is interesting. Steel/electric porcupine. Yes. I quite like it.

So basically none of the gen 7 pokemon I really dislike, except the fish...but the fish is scary. I have a feeling it's supposed to be.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian