I just beat the League a few hours ago. Wally and May made me tear up. ;_; I got the Shiny Charm for transferring my Livingdex from X and went off to mirage spots. Found a spot with Virizion and a spot with Mesprit but I soft resetted after finding out which Pokemon they are because I didn't bring preparations. I found an Unown mirage spot and I've been spending the last couple hours trying to get all 28. Only 2 left (S and ?), and I got a shiny K!

So I tasked myself with nicknaming each and every single Pokemon caught in OR. I think I understood why I went nameless in other games..... I nicknamed a Shroomish "Buffshroom", and a Zubat "Batmon". Yeeeeeeaaaaaah, I'm not terribly creative, am I? =P

Also prepare for SELF ADVERTISIIIIIING! I'm writing a bunch of logs on my playthrough in the style of a story back in my blog. They're alright, I guess, but I spend quite some time writing each one, and provide EVERY Pokemon caught with a profile. So I'm definitely putting in some sort of effort into these. 

And if you do bother to read them, a comment is cool but not necessary!

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Yeah, I think Virizion and Mesprit are the first ones to show up. Then after the Delta episode(I think) you get a "message" saying that more mirage spots show up.

I got Azelf first and haven't gotten Virizion at all. So I don't think the first legendary Pokémon you find at Mirage Spots are set in stone.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Uxie and Cobalion came first for me. I got the others in the order they appear in the pokedex. I have all the available legendaries that can be caught in alpha sapphire save for cresselia. Once I have caught her. I'll  be wonder trading all the legendaries i caught since I already have them in my pokebank from past games.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

I should've come in here ages ago but better late than never I guess! I'm a collector so I love pokemon, started playing when the first game came out, had a bunch of the cards (my dad was a headteacher so confiscated a lot of things!) and stuck with the whole series, even through D/P + B/W which I felt were pretty weak entries.

My all time favourite game was R/S/E though and I've known about it's re-release for a while now. I can't decide whether I should risk trying it out though as I got all ecited over /Y and pre-ordered it then proceeded to HATE every second of it with a passion... Lent out my 3DS, put away the game and never went back. The pokemon are awful (and practically none of them are new) there are 3 different pokedexes which really does NOT work for me and the way I store my pokes. And Mega evolutions? Well I won't get into it because that's the sort of thing that starts flame wars but let's just say me no likey...

So now they're remaking (rebooting?) R/S with the new graphics, something which IS pretty cool but was appalingly utilised in x/y. Yay it's a new flagship 3DS game! With virtually no actual 3D... But it has those hideous Mega Evolutions again (because I guess that's what kids what these days?) and I don't know if they're going to ruin it further by porting in the terrible pokes from later gen titles in the main story of the game. Frankly it would be a shame even AFTER the story ends to bring in fairy types. Eugh...

So what's the sitch with these games? Are people getting excited about them or what? I know I'm pretty much in the minority over what I think x/Y got wrong but I also know I'm not alone so I imagine there MUST be others out there worrying about the new R/S. Hopefully some people in here are educated enough in both sides of the debate to help me decide whether or not to bug santa for a new pokemon game :P

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Honestly, I was gonna say to get it if you disliked X/Y, since it fixes pretty much all the issues from that; but if you hate later gen Pokemon and Gen 6 stuff THAT much, you're better off just putting away Pokemon for good, as Megas are here to stay, and the mix of Generations in one way or another too. Especially since the later gen Pokemon are exclusively post-game(or rather, post-a certain event).

Also, Fairy types are always in, from start to finish. Ralts and Marill to name a couple.

But honestly; I don't get the complaint. Megas are just a fancy and temporary way to give Pokemon a new evolution; which is exactly what everyone wants, and what everyone wanted from gen 5. Mega rayquaza is freaking powerful, but we both know that if Gamefreak was determined enough, they would've given it a forme change; which is also technically another equivalent of Mega Evolution, and probably closer to that for Mega Ray.

And Fairy types is a much needed overhaul to the type chart; and a lot of things were made better for it.

Basically, I'd recommend giving OR/AS a try because they are just plain awesome, but I fear that the changes that make them better than RSE are exactly the ones you'll hate.

Pretty sure if Fairy types weren't added in, Dragon types would have steadily became even bigger monsters and threats to the metagame, which is why Game Freak was actually throwing fans a bone by making Dragon types less spammable and omnipresent. I'd consider not looking at things from a 'they changed it now it sucks' perspective right away, and analyze what exactly the additions mean for the game. And to me, the Fairy types have brought in many positives that outweigh whatever negatives that aren't preference-based. The top offensive types, Dragon, Fighting, and Dark received a new threat, while the underutilized Steel and Poison types now have a whole new level of viability. It's a rebalancing of the type chart, and one that, while Game Freak technically didn't have to implement, is actually appreciable because it shows they listen to the fans.

Also, what do you find terrible/weak about the post Gen III games? To me, the fact that there's a Special-Physical split by default makes those games less archaic. Each generation has done nothing but expand and make the core gameplay deeper, and more streamlined. But clearly you disagree, and I'd like to hear why.

The Pokemon, I don't get complaints about. Sure, there may be the bad design here and there, but every game has them. I personally dislike the Electrode line MORE than the Vanilluxe one. At least with Vanilluxe, it's a cute concept to see living ice cream. Voltorb/Electrode are literally just.... Balls with the color of a Pokeball. That reverse upon evolution. The only praise I can give THOSE designs is that they're easy to draw, due to literally being circles.

I can also name two Pokemon from IV-VI that I can safely say a large enough portion of the fanbase likes their design to call them 'popular'. IV has Garchomp and Lucario, V has Haxorus and Krookodile, and VI has Aegislash and Yveltal. You can disagree with those, but it's clear with those examples that the idea that every new Pokemon sucks is not in fact, commonly held.

Megas also don't take anything away from Pokemon. Again, I can see many more positives for their inclusion than negatives. Previously underwhelming Pokemon with Megas can now be used to devastating effect, Mega Kangaskhan is considered better than some LEGENDARIES due to just how powerful it can be, and Pinsir has come closer to its 'glory days' in earlier Gens than ever before. Good Pokemon can be made even better, like Tyranitar. And some Pokemon just get a new way of playing in general, like Heracross or Garchomp. And if you still hate them, guess what? You don't have to use em. The normal Pokemon haven't been replaced by Megas, since the transformation is specifically limited to battle, and only one Pokemon can even Mega per battle. So no, there will NOT be teams made up of stoopid newbs Mega Evolving all of their Pokemon. Assuming the games would be of higher quality if they appealed exactly to your tastes is highly unreasonable. There is indeed a sector of the fanbase that enjoys Megas who are NOT five to ten years old. Like, my friend Blade who responded to you. Or me, who may have started in IV, but has been a dedicated fan since then and immersed myself rather deeply within the games.

ORAS haw been an amazing game so far, and the only thing I don't like is how the HMs are emphasized. But they were like that in the original RSE, so that shouldn't be something that'd stop the games from being a buy. And I do implore you to give the new mechanics and Pokemon a chance, and toss away any preconceptions or assumptions on how things 'should' be. You'll have a lot more fun that way, I'd think.

I'll admit at first I was a bit wary on how Fairies and Megas would impact the game, but now I enjoy their inclusion. And all I had to do was judge them by their own merits, not how they clash with my idea of a 'perfect' game.

Edited by Phoenix Zero

it sounds like everything you hated about XY is everything they kept for ORAS. Which is fine by me; while I'm still not the biggest fan of Mega Evolution, I don't outright reject it, Fairy type at least helps balance Dragon types (even though it only worsened the worthlessness of bug type) and I honestly liked most of the new Pokemon designs.

What I hated about X and Y was its boring story that failed to innovate in the same way B/W did, especially since B/W's biggest change (carrying the story over to the end) was the best change to ever happen to the story formula.

Your complaints sound like the same complaints I hear about any new game: "this game is bad because it isn't the game I had when I was least cynical and nostalgia-ridden".

• Upvote 2

I just finished the Delta Episode and running the Elite Four again.

It was fantastic. My favorite story in a Pokemon game by far, opens up a lot of opportunities (and potentially making all the games and maybe even the anime and manga canon as alternate universes) and some beautiful cutscenes. Deoxys being in the meteor seemed a little like a big lipped alligator moment but unlike traditional BLAMs, it actually made sense and it's a free EVENT legendary. I ain't gonna complain. xD I fainted it purposely, though, to be able to catch it at the Sky Pillar (though it requires beating the E4 again) with a Synchronize Ralts of the nature I want (probably gonna choose Timid) and soft reset for it to be shiny (since the Eon duo and Mirage Spot Pokemon are no longer shiny locked, although it may well be shiny locked too I'm still gonna SR a bit). As for the E4, I found them really challenging the second time around. The only one that never fainted anyone on my team was Sidney (although Phoebe fainted one of mine because I made a stupid move whilst doing something else). Their teams are much better now and their use of megas also helps a lot.

As for the above argument,

There's a big mix of old Pokemon at the beginning of XY to balance out with the new ones and give variety and tap a little into nostalgia. This tends to be the least of the complaints of people who fervently hate anything new brought to the table. The 3 Pokedexes are also to put out lots of variety and allow new players to collect lots of Pokemon from all generations, plus it has the side benefit of allowing lots of variety in the online VGC battles where only regional Pokemon are allowed.

Mega Evolution is a pretty cool concept (though storywise they kinda mucked it up with making it confusing when matching it to the timeline or game mechanics) in that you can make a mediocre Pokemon from a previous region that you don't like much stronger (like Mawile who went from NU to OU) or give a new alternative to an already powerful Pokemon (like allowing Scizor to act as a really good sweeper rather than just bulky support), without making it a permanent evolution and by handicapping said Pokemon to only being able to hold its Mega Stone (except Mega Rayquaza, imagine Mega Mawile @ Choice Band or Life Orb *shudders*) and only being allowed one Mega per team (with the exception of Hoenn's Primal duo). Gameplay-wise it has the added benefit of not making the Pokemon's former final majorly overpowered by having Eviolite work on it (like how Chansey @ Eviolite almost overshadows Blissey @ Leftovers in its sheer special walling capabilities), and being able to improve lackluster Legendaries without breaking tradition (although this possibility has only been applied to Diancie so far, since non-Mega Mewtwo and Rayquaza (who doesn't even suffer the biggest drawback from Megas!) and non-Primal Groudon and Kyogre (who also don't suffer one of the drawbacks from Megas). That's not to say Megas can't go too far, namely Blaziken (although normal Blaziken was already Ubers), Salamence, Kangaskhan and Gengar whose mega forms have been banished to the land of Ubers, and Groudon and Kyogre undoing the Gen 6 weather nerf (albeit thankfully only for them, and consequently only in Ubers), but when looking at Pokemon like Mawile, Sableye, Altaria, Swampert, Lopunny, Charizard, Blastoise, Diancie, Metagross and more, you can see that it does more good than harm to the metagame.

Fairy works just the same way as Steel and Dark did back in Gen 2, only more Pokemon have their typing retconned since it's been longer. Just like Steel and Dark nerfed Psychic and buffed Fighting back in Gen 2, Fairy is here to balance out the Dragon, Fighting and Dark types that ran amok in Gen 4 and 5 metagames and buff Steel and Poison. Like with Steel and Dark, it had some adverse side effects such as giving less offensive presence to Bug and buffing Fire defensively (should've been the opposite, imo) but there's always room to help Bug types in the future, which I'm sure will happen given the marvelous Volcarona and actually pretty good Vivillon (it's quite good in Doubles) and while I don't really ever expect Fire to get shafted, it's not exactly top priority right now.

I'd give ORAS a go, since (if I remember correctly) the only retconned non-Mega Hoenn Fairy is Azurill and only a couple Pokemon from later gens were added to the regional Pokedex (mainly Gen 4 evolutions like Dusknoir and Froslass). However, Megas are still pretty important (albeit less so than in XY),

with May/Brendan, Archie/Maxie, Wally, Steven and the entire Elite Four having Megas (although the Elite Four only get Megas postgame and everyone (but Archie/Maxie) gets their Megas near the ending (or in May/Brendan's case, the very ending)

Still, it's a fresh take on Hoenn with beautiful 3D environments and cutscenes, spectacular music, great new features and the return of old features, an expanded plot (with some FANTASTIC postgame story), access to every non-Event Pokemon that wasn't available one way or another in XY as well as some character development for characters who lacked it in RSE like your rival, the Aqua/Magma admins and leaders and even Steven (who, while I always liked, felt a bit like a canon sue to me).

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey
  • Upvote 1

I should've come in here ages ago but better late than never I guess! I'm a collector so I love pokemon, started playing when the first game came out, had a bunch of the cards (my dad was a headteacher so confiscated a lot of things!) and stuck with the whole series, even through D/P + B/W which I felt were pretty weak entries.

My all time favourite game was R/S/E though and I've known about it's re-release for a while now. I can't decide whether I should risk trying it out though as I got all ecited over /Y and pre-ordered it then proceeded to HATE every second of it with a passion... Lent out my 3DS, put away the game and never went back. The pokemon are awful (and practically none of them are new) there are 3 different pokedexes which really does NOT work for me and the way I store my pokes. And Mega evolutions? Well I won't get into it because that's the sort of thing that starts flame wars but let's just say me no likey...

So now they're remaking (rebooting?) R/S with the new graphics, something which IS pretty cool but was appalingly utilised in x/y. Yay it's a new flagship 3DS game! With virtually no actual 3D... But it has those hideous Mega Evolutions again (because I guess that's what kids what these days?) and I don't know if they're going to ruin it further by porting in the terrible pokes from later gen titles in the main story of the game. Frankly it would be a shame even AFTER the story ends to bring in fairy types. Eugh...

So what's the sitch with these games? Are people getting excited about them or what? I know I'm pretty much in the minority over what I think x/Y got wrong but I also know I'm not alone so I imagine there MUST be others out there worrying about the new R/S. Hopefully some people in here are educated enough in both sides of the debate to help me decide whether or not to bug santa for a new pokemon game :P

ugh you're negative

anyways i picked up alpha sapphire yesterday and i'm really enjoying it. it's making me depressed, though, since i chose sapphire for the legendaries exclusive to it i couldn't use my best friend shiftry to beat the game ;-;

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Not sure if some of you knew, but you can have both bikes at once if you talk to a few NPCs while riding a certain bike. For the Mach Bike,talk to a Hex Maniac in the Route 111 Desert. For the Acro Bike, talk to a Bird Keeper in the Acro Bike area of Route 119 but you need Surf & Waterfall. And with any bike talk to a Triathlete in the Battle Resort.

I randomly tossed together something at the first base the game hands you.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/JiMing/Stuff/hni_0089.jpg

Feel free to go nuts and pilfer my flag.

Also, I just evolved my Kirlia into Gardevoir. A male one. Because I wanted a good special attacker on my team and wasn't gonna wait until the game threw me a Dawn Stone to evolve him into Gallade. =P

Edited by Phoenix Zero

No I was soft resetting to see if it wasn't shiny locked (since Mirage Spots aren't shiny locked and thus shiny Zekrom and shiny Reshiram are now legal) but the one I caught wasn't. I have reason to believe it's not shiny locked, because I've seen shiny Deoxys with the gen 6 pentagram on the GTS.

Ah, okay. I believe the current consensus is that Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, and Deoxys are all shiny locked, as nobody has been able to find a shiny through soft-resetting and no pictures have been shown of the battle if one of them were to be shiny. The problem with just seeing a summary screen, even with the pentagon, is that powersaves exists; people can just add on the pentagon to a shinified mon.

Speaking of legendaries and shinies, do you think the Mirage Spot legendaries have a higher shiny encounter rate than usual? I managed to catch a shiny Zekrom within a day. Last time I tried SRing for a shiny legendary (which was admittedly back in gen V) I spent days and never got anything to show for it.

(Then I learned RNG abuse and now any shiny legendary in that game is in my grasp, but that's besides the point.)

(oh, and to clarify, no, the gen V pokemon wasn't Zekrom, Reshiram, or Victini. It was Kyurem.)

Edited by Wally

I know there's been a lot of reported shinies from Mirage Spots (both normal Pokemon and legendaries), so I'd go on a limb and say they're probably a bit up (even factoring the gen 6 bump), like Friend Safaris in XY. Also, I thought powersaved Pokemon got glitchy when put on the GTS? If not then those shiny Deoxys there are probably powersaved. I was thinking the story legendaries (the weather trio, the eon duo and Deoxys) would be shiny locked but then proof came up that the eon duo wasn't shiny locked so I figured I'd give Deoxys a shot.

@Alyska, I'm not sure. You can put it on the GTS now so if I had to guess, I'd say yes.

The new EXP Share is really good for people like me who didn't particularly enjoy slowly grinding each and every single member of my team in previous games, but I'm starting to get a little TOO powerful.

The solution? Raise an entirely new team of Pokemon to use and then at the end make a team that has members from each! Or at least, that's the plan so far. Right now I'm still in the training phase, which is proceeding nicely for only having started last night. Thanks to the EXP Share. =P

Just scanned a bunch of Secret Base QR codes. Now I'll be spending a bit of time each day collecting flags and searching the mirage spots for Cresselia. Eventually I'll work on contests to get the decorations specific to them. Also need to collect a ton of soot to get the glass chair and table.

I want my secret base to be as good as the one I had in emerald.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

I've been hearing a lot about how much easier ORAS is than RSE (and I actually do remember Ruby being a little harder) so I decided to take a second crack at Ruby after all this time. I was paying close attention to how fast my Pokemon leveled, the levels of opposing Pokemon and overall how long battles took or whether I ever got in any pinches. I saw my Pokemon growing pretty much like in Alpha Sapphire, comparing levels of trainers from ORAS in Serebii to their original RS counterparts, they were mostly the same (and some even had a Pokemon a level or 2 lower in the originals). Still, battles took longer and I wasn't sure why. I picked the same starter (Mudkip), I used the same moves as in Alpha Sapphire and they were growing at pretty much the same rate, but still my moves felt less powerful. Then I noticed why: the physical/special split. Since in the first 3 generations the damage type was determined by the move's type, Swampert only got the bigger boost by using Ground moves, rather than being able to use both Water and Ground moves so long as they were both physical. That's why when I hit with Waterfall in Ruby I dealt less than in Alpha Sapphire.

In other news, found Cresselia thanks to Streetpass (or PSSpass?) today, took a looooong time to catch her but I got her in the nature I wanted.

That's... actually a good point, now that you mention it.

We haven't gone through Hoenn since the split, and we're too used to the EXP Share now helping with grinding our teams, that we think the EXP share is the reason it's 'easy' now... But actually, it might be the more logical move usage stuff. ._.

did anyone else think that steven was really lame this time around? he's always going 'hmm' like he's so thoughtful but he never says anything cool and he whines a lot. i really hate how the writers weren't aware of it at all, either, like they just assumed they'd make him cool like he was in RSE. the lady in delta episode refers to him as a 'silver haired dreamboat'. what's dreamy about him? he's just the awful written cliche anime character the writers are trying to push way too hard and it really made me anger face.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

It's usually a problem when they sneak the champion in like that that they don't always have much important to say.

For what it's worth, though, it pretty much seemed like his role in R/S. By the end it seemed like they were trying to set up a bit of lack of self-confidence and certainty he has, giving him a reason for abandoning his post as Hoenn Champion (theoretically, of course.)

Also I'm pretty sure the dreamboat comments have far more to do with physical appearances than personality.

Taking a little respite from Omega Ruby right now. Left off after beating the Elite Four and ready to start Episode Delta.

One of the things I'm considering doing once I start up again is transferring everything from Y to OR to get the Shiny Charm... and soft reset for shinies in the Mirage Spots. Which is actually something I've never soft reset for before.

Anyone who's done it with Legendaries before, think it's worth it? I already find it enough of a hassle to try for natures (granted I usually don't bring a Synchronize Pokémon along), but a shiny... Yikes. That's intimidating. I've got a few dozen now because of just how easy it was made in X/Y, but I haven't bred any either because of the effort involved.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."