Do you get anything (change of dialogue, etc) from capturing every single Unova Pokemon in Gen IV? I have a feeling that I'm slightly wasting my time capturing and evolving weak Pokemon.

Catching Unova Pokemon in Gen IV? That's quite a feat. =P (either you meant Sinnoh Pokemon or Gen V)

Assuming you're talking about the Gen V games (Black/White/2), you get a shiny charm for your troubles if you are playing Black2/White2. If you are playing Black/White or earlier, then all you get is a diploma for your troubles, but you do get a star on your Trainer card. As far as dialogue goes, I believe it's only with whoever the professor is congratulating you for completing the dex. 

--==My MOCs==--

Do you get anything (change of dialogue, etc) from capturing every single Unova Pokemon in Gen IV? I have a feeling that I'm slightly wasting my time capturing and evolving weak Pokemon.

No, because capturing Unova Pokemon in gen IV is simply impossible. =P

If you mean gen VI though, you don't get anything for that, but completing the National Dex is really worth it and not only you get the shiny charm you also get bragging rights. it won't be fun but really you aren't wasting your time.

I've gotten both secret misdions, andplayed both versions of the aqua/magma one.

Did the aqua/magma one just trigger randomly or did it happen after a certain number of days you played since you got the demo?

Edited by Takanuinuva

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

No, because capturing Unova Pokemon in gen IV is simply impossible. =P

If you mean gen VI though, you don't get anything for that, but completing the National Dex is really worth it and not only you get the shiny charm you also get bragging rights. it won't be fun but really you aren't wasting your time.

Catching Unova Pokemon in Gen IV? That's quite a feat. =P (either you meant Sinnoh Pokemon or Gen V)

Assuming you're talking about the Gen V games (Black/White/2), you get a shiny charm for your troubles if you are playing Black2/White2. If you are playing Black/White or earlier, then all you get is a diploma for your troubles, but you do get a star on your Trainer card. As far as dialogue goes, I believe it's only with whoever the professor is congratulating you for completing the dex. 

lol my bad. I meant Gen 5.

I keep forgetting what the latest Gen is.

A diploma? Huh. I was expecting something a bit more exciting.

Maybe I should just transfer all of my Pokemon to Y. It's very lonely in my PC box.

Edited by Councilor Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

I've gotten both secret misdions, andplayed both versions of the aqua/magma one.

Did the aqua/magma one just trigger randomly or did it happen after a certain number of days you played since you got the demo?

Aqua/Magma is random after going through the first few missions(And not on the 5/10/15/20 pattern missions, since that's always Elder mission); Nugget mission is roughly 15 days after the first launch of the game. No need for that to be consecutive. xP

I just transferred my Livingdex from X to AS to get the Oval Charm and Shiny Charm (assuming you're still given them here), but Birch won't evaluate my Pokedex. I had him do it via the PC and when I went to claim the reward, he wouldn't evaluate or acknowledge he already evaluated it. I'm up to Petalburg City, do I have to go further in to unlock it?

Been playing through Alpha Sapphire. I'm currently on my way to meteor falls.

One thing so far I give against the game is the rocks connecting Mawville to Fallarbor still respawn. I was hoping once you broke them they would stay broken like the rocks in the Rusturf Tunnel

Edited by Takanuinuva

Yeah, but without the rocks respawning, then there would be no more Stardust, my main source of instant cash (asumming breaking rocks in ORAS gives you rewards like in XY).

Which is why I specified that I meant rocks that obstruct your path. Random rocks to get stuff is fine, but much like Strength rocks (which, you guys know, did change eventually) having to use an hm just to go to a particular area all the time can be pretty annoying.

@Gengar: Dunno, beats me. Why haven't they changed that? It's pretty annoying. Again, just because it's always been that way does not mean it can't be changed.

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

pokemon is remarkable in that its one of the only series that hasn't been substantially dumbed down over the years so let's not start asking for small and petty changes because we aren't happy with ourselves. if we are gonna change pokemon let's not focus on irrelevant HM mechanics that are easily worked around, let's maybe revisit the 'collect 8 badges, fight evil team, become elite 4 champion in that order' formula the games refuse to deviate from.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Well, considering the story ended officially before you become League champion, and the final fight was actually against the people you're hyped up through the story to fight...

Though, how would you suggest it changed?

Yes, you do; I tested that earlier. ^^

And, you can FREAKING SWAP OVER WI-FI WITHOUT NEEDING THE QR CODES!

Since it seems mixing records happens when you connect to the PSS, and then check the BuzzNav. Might be just once per load, though.

i'm sorry are you under the impression i meant the order was the boring part

Well then what else do you want? The reason they have that formula is to make each game feel like a Pokemon game. I also want them to break away from the formula a bit (which is why Black/White are my favorite games; they broke away from the formula by having the main plot actually extend to the end of the game and it worked) but at the level of simplification you broke it down to, removing any one of those elements would remove from what we know as a Pokemon game.

• The Gyms and Pokemon League pretty much give you a standard setup. One needs the other, since the gyms are milestones on a journey to the League, which exists to give you a final goal to strive for: to become the most powerful trainer in the region
  • The evil team gives the game an actual plot. Do you have any idea how dry and boring a Pokemon game would be without that conflict? Imagine removing Team Plasma from Black/White. Would it have been anywhere near as compelling a narrative?

I don't think the error in their ways is the building blocks they use, but how they use them. Before B/W, you could have written out the progression of a game's plot only having played a single game, because they all followed pretty much the exact same formula. There were some changes (RSE was the most compelling besides B/W because the two rival teams was an excellent way to freshen up the franchise) but the story itself still had the same overall flow. The best thing B/W did was interrupt that, and in doing so, improve the way a Pokemon game flows. All other games wrap up before the 8th gym. (My memory could be faulty, but I think the closest exception is R/B, because there the Boss was the 8th gym.) In B/W, however, the story actually carries all the way to the end, with a thrilling climax to the story where it should be: near the end.

That's all a little discombobulated and actually more about how great I think B/W were but basically I think that if you removed one of those three aspects, it wouldn't be as good of a game. They work together to tell a full story. The issue is more in Game Freak not always making sure the story is fresh.

• Upvote 2

you're so boring and you're content with being boring. pokemon is comparable to call of duty in the sense that it's repetitive but call of duty at least has the decently to switch up it's level design. here's a thought i hope you don't think is too blasphemous; what if they came up with new ideas for objectives beyond the same formula they've been using since 1996. they clearly don't need to; they just rearranged the order of the objectives in one game and you wrote a paragraph commending that brilliant decision. it's an unnecessary and rigid rulebook they're following arbitrarily.

you're so boring and you're content with being boring. pokemon is comparable to call of duty in the sense that it's repetitive but call of duty at least has the decently to switch up it's level design. here's a thought i hope you don't think is too blasphemous; what if they came up with new ideas for objectives beyond the same formula they've been using since 1996. they clearly don't need to; they just rearranged the order of the objectives in one game and you wrote a paragraph commending that brilliant decision. it's an unnecessary and rigid rulebook they're following arbitrarily.

no need to be rude

what kind of objectives do you suggest? what system do you suggest beyond battling with Pokemon to grow stronger? I think Pokemon has a pretty solid schtick going, quite honestly, and you have yet to actually suggest anything better for them to do with it.

B/W didn't just switch up the objectives, but quite frankly, you're saying first person shooters, an entire genre of boring, interchangeable games, are less repetitive than Pokemon and that's enough to make me cackle hideously and ignore trying to actually make a case to you.

• Upvote 3

Does anyone know what the names of the alternate music used at the Battle Resort are. I'm talking about the ones you can play by talking to the parasol lady

The ones I recognize are

The default one when you first arrive

Wally's theme

Victory Road

Tutorial from shop owner in Oldale Town

But the last one I know from somewhere but I can't remember what the name of it was. Its the one that sounds like an upbeat but somewhat hardcore theme

no need to be rude i didn't mean it as rudeness. you are being boring, though, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

what kind of objectives do you suggest? what system do you suggest beyond battling with Pokemon to grow stronger? i didn't say battling with pokemon needed to be changed. i respect that battling is the core of gameplay and the part that interests me the most. i play pokemon exclusively for the battling.

I think Pokemon has a pretty solid schtick going, quite honestly, and you have yet to actually suggest anything better for them to do with it. i'm not going to suggest anything better because 1) i'm not a gamefreak developer so it isn't my job and 2) i'm of the opinion that you are set enough in your ways to dismiss my suggestions as bad or worse than the current whether they are good or not. i'm not arguing for a new hypothetical game that i think will be better, i'm arguing that changing the current (and old) formula for the story mode is a good idea and you are arguing that it isn't.

B/W didn't just switch up the objectives, but quite frankly, you're saying first person shooters, an entire genre of boring, interchangeable games, are less repetitive than Pokemon do you genuinely believe that pokemon offers a new experience each time? you've said literally nothing to support this, have never once claimed it. you aren't saying pokemon is always new and exciting, you're saying that the same thing is good enough. yet here, you're saying the same thing isn't the same thing. this is why i believe you are arguing for the sake of arguing or mistaken your opinion with objectivity.

and that's enough to make me cackle hideously and ignore trying to actually make a case to you. this is stupid and an unreasonable comment based on the observation i've made, as well as hypocritical since you accused me earlier of being rude.

not gonna respond anymore.

i didn't mean it as rudeness. you are being boring, though, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

that is a rude thing to say, not to mention a subjective one

do you genuinely believe that pokemon offers a new experience each time?

Yes, I do. As much as I'd like to see more change between generations, they do try to present a new, interesting story each time. Each team's objectives are new and often intriguing, and they've made several changes to the battle system itself over the years that make each game a different experience.

you aren't saying pokemon is always new and exciting, you're saying that the same thing is good enough. yet here, you're saying the same thing isn't the same thing. this is why i believe you are arguing for the sake of arguing or mistaken your opinion with objectivity.

No, I'm saying "new and exciting" isn't a zero-sum game. A game doesn't have to be completely new or completely derivative. Most Pokemon games introduce plenty of new concepts, even though they stick with the same formula. That's what I'm saying. You're mistaken because you're stuck on the idea of a cut-and-dry dichotomy between a completely original game and a game that's an exact clone of another game, and think that if it's not the former, it must be the latter.

i'm not arguing for a new hypothetical game that i think will be better, i'm arguing that changing the current (and old) formula for the story mode is a good idea and you are arguing that it isn't.

How can you argue for change without knowing what changes should be made? It's all well and good to say "oh well they should change the story formula" but if you can't think of a way to do so without ruining the game, how are they supposed to? You're the one with the big ideas here. Why not show you know what you're talking about?

The discussion of the formula is muddled because you seem to think the very basest components of the formula are what's at fault, and I don't think that's the case at all. What I want changes is the more specific formulas, like cutting the storyline off at the 7th gym. I think that the base formula is flexible and can be taken in several different direction, but you seem to think that if a game uses the same concepts throughout the series, it's automatically repetitive and boring. Quite frankly, I think a main series Pokemon game without a Pokemon league would be like Ace Attorney without a courtroom, but hey, you're the one with the big ideas to blow the old formula out of the water with something better. Except, wait, you haven't actually said anything specific that should change, just said "it needs to change because having base concepts that you build a game's story around is a terrible idea".

to be honest call of duty as a game franchise is probably one of the most guilty of constantly reskinning their own game every year (and writing terrible excuses for campaigns, at that). while pokemon does a lot of stuff similarly from game to game, a lot of that is core to the games' identity -- namely: having a team to fight against, having gyms to defeat, having pokemon to catch and level up, having rivals, having a professor/parent (because the character is a ten year old, technically speaking), having a pokemon league and legendaries involved in the story (which are generally the driving point of the plots). and, over the years, they -have- provided unique and different stories while using the same formulas, creating varied and unique characters, stages, gyms, and introducing new types, new evolutions, new features that still allows them to keep their games identifiable as pokemon games.

yeah the basic core of the game will feel the same every time but the basic core of any FPS is the same thing every single time no matter which one you pick up (shooting things).

taking away the teams, or taking away leveling pokemon, or taking away the gyms, the pokemon league, the catching of pokemon, the rivals, the professors, etc... would be like removing guns from call of duty, or the entire military schtick they've been using for countless years.