LEGO Clarifies Information on LEGO Friends

LEGO has put out a press release clarifying their girl-friendly initiatives. LEGO Friends got a bit maligned a while back, but naturally, it isn't the only offering for girls. Additionally, the sets do require constructing, and are presented just like "traditional" sets. Read the full statement <a href='http://aboutus.lego.com/en-US/PressRoom/CorporateNews/article/393912.aspx' target='offsite'>here</a>.

View the full article

I read this a while back. It's pitiful, really, how much trouble people have been giving them. If they want to make more realistic minifigs and a more character-based story, let them, and if you don't like it, don't buy it. I have to say, TLG has done great presenting the sets for what they are.Does anyone remember if they got similar complaints with Bellville or Scala or anything?

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

I think the Bellville minifigs were similar to the Jack Stone ones. My memory isn't that good though. :P

The Belville figs were closer to full-scale dolls in a lot of ways, at a much larger scale than minifigures or even the "midi" figures of Jack Stone and similar themes, and with much more articulation than either. I don't remember any such controversy over Belville, but then again, that theme was introduced at a time when TLG was doing somewhat poorly, and thus they weren't such a huge player in the toy business at the time. So they might have dodged that controversy at that time.On one hand, the controversy over Friends makes sense. "Gendered" design and marketing in toys is a controversial issue in and of itself. But on the other hand, there's no reason this theme should be seen as a threat to girls' enjoyment of LEGO and healthy development when this theme has the same level of creativity and complexity as other LEGO products for the same age range, and when other LEGO themes are still available to girls who want them.In fact, while many critics of girl-oriented themes suggest TLG should just make their regular products more "gender-neutral", they have in fact done just that in some ways this year. The LEGO City theme has a more balanced gender ratio in its minifigures in 2012, with many of the sets having male and female figs equally represented. It seems to me that TLG is intent on reaching out to girls in more ways than one.It's a bit of a messy issue, but I think TLG is handling things well so far. The Friends theme has apparently been very successful so far, and I hope that it will continue to prove more successful than other girl-oriented themes of the past. I long for the day when LEGO is seen as a universal hobby and not just for boys or for girls with so-called "boyish" interests.

I'm taking this from the PR stand point of 'There's no such thing as bad press'. As folks upthread pointed out, Lego got no flak when it released the Belleville line. And those sets were largely ignored when they came out and languish in the discount corner at the two Lego Stores I frequent. 'Friends' on the other hand won't be ignored because of this. And the objects seem very soft. The main complaint is that Lego is marketing to girls. The doesn't really scream evil. Especially when you've got Barbie and My Little Pony doing the same thing unprotrested.As others repeatedly point out, any customer that really objects can buy another Lego set or another toy entirely. My personal anecdote is my 5 year old daughter who loves playing with my Bionicle/Hero Factory, but plays with them as dolls. It's her imagination and play time, she's welcome to it. Which reminds me, I've got to put some of those Toa back together again.

"Honor those the dragons heed, in thought and favor, word and deed"

"Worlds are lost and worlds are saved, from those dangers dragons brave"

qs3174.jpg

LEGO shouldn't have to apologize for marketing decisions that are, I understand it (hearing thing from people walking through toy stores), creating sets that sell pretty well.However, this is some nice insight on their process to make the line. They know what they are doing.I hope the internet calms down eventually.-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

I can see why Lego would feel the need to do something like this, but I think the execution could have been a little better. To me, most of the "clarifications" seemed a bit state-the-obvious, and it didn't really touch on some of the more interesting points that could be made in defense of Friends.I guess it was somewhat hindered by the fact that the article was representing a company, not the opinions of an individual person, which is why it feels a bit watered down and tame. It doesn't really confront many of the big issues raised by the critics, either. One of the main concerns I kept seeing was that the line was perpetuating outdated gender stereotypes. Now, if I was writing that article, I think it would be important to address the fact that the five characters all have different personalities and interests, which aims to send a message that there is no one, "right" way to be a girl. While some of the girls like traditionally feminine things such as fashion and cooking, others are into stuff like engineering and helping the environment. All of those interests are equally valid.Another complaint I often saw was that the figures were "Bratz-ified" and sexualized. Now, that is just ridiculous. If anything, Friends provides a wholesome alternative to Bratz and other dolls with impossible figures, provocative clothing, and an unhealthy obsession with their appearance. The Friends dolls are still cute and feminine, without going in that direction at all. Also unlike Bratz, Friends encourages building, creativity and original thought, making it a vastly superior alternative. Another thing Lego needs to do, in addition to saying "Oh, but girls can still play with regular Lego if they want to!" is to claim they are taking a multi-pronged approach to getting more girls interested in Lego, and that Friends is but the first step. They need to acknowledge the fact that girls are just as diverse as boys, and like toys in a wide range of different styles and themes. They should say that they are still open to feedback and suggestions from girls and parents, and that they are working towards having multiple lines with different approaches to appeal to girls. (I don't know for sure if that last part is true, but it is something I would expect of any other toy company, and Lego should be aiming to have multiple strategies in place for appealing to girls, either in the short or long term. If Friends is the only new thing they're willing to try, I will be seriously disappointed.)Anyway, my opinion on friends isn't 100% positive, but I think a lot of the criticism aimed at it isn't valid, and that Lego should be doing more to address it. (Incidentally, I do actually feel that the stereotyping criticism is somewhat valid, but that's something I'll need to look more at the story material in order to form a concrete opinion on it.) I hope Lego becomes inspired by this line to try new strategies for appealing to girls.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I really don't get what the big deal was. it's not like LEGO thought that girls sould only by these sets from now on. Come on people! you have the freedom to choose what you do and do not play with. If like lEGO's effort, by all means by them. If you don't, no one is forcing you.

Exactly what I think. Look, many girls on this site have been complaining that Lego does not appeal enough to their gender. When Lego finally listens to their plea, people start saying that Lego is now sexist. I'll try to avoid all feminist political discussion.Last I checked, it isn't a crime to be a girly girl. It is not a crime to like dresses and wear skirts, and like pink and purple. It isn't a crime to not want to get dirty or like a guy. Girls can be feminine. It's okay. The world won't end.If you don't like Friends, there are MANY other less 'girly' Lego lines you can get and use to satisfy your craving for action. Heck, you can combine Friends with Star Wars and make your own awesome line. BIf Lego wants to make a line for girls, so be it. Also, if we're going to use the stereotype logic, then Lego is sexist to guys as well, apparently.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

• 2 weeks later...