Is Bionicle Universe legit?

Hahli87

BionicleUniverse has lots of cool stuff, but whenever anyone asks where he got something, he ignores them. The yellow Huna, the prototype metal Krana-Kal (that no one even knew existed til he posted it, supposedly 17 years after it was made)... If they were genuine, would he have a problem telling us their origin? When people ask him other types of questions on reddit, he answers, but if people ask where he gets these things, he completely ignores them. It makes me question if he is just good at making bootlegs.I do NOT mean to call him out or accuse him, I don't mean this in a mean way, I am just genuinely curious, I want to know if all these rare things are genuine. The super rare things he posts, and also all the rare misprints and stuff he sells.

Edit: He has clarified on Facebook about getting them from LEGO employees and why he doesn't say more and it all sounds legit, so I think he and his rare items are legit!

Edited by Hahli87

It might be worth considering he has a good reason for keeping it under wraps. If it wasn't officially through Lego he obtained these and instead through a friend who used to work at Lego, for example, that friend might be put into deep water if he's named. I don't know him or the stuff in question very well so maybe it is or isn't genuine, but not citing where the source is from could be to cover himself or others, which is reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Toa_Kralich said:

It might be worth considering he has a good reason for keeping it under wraps. If it wasn't officially through Lego he obtained these and instead through a friend who used to work at Lego, for example, that friend might be put into deep water if he's named. I don't know him or the stuff in question very well so maybe it is or isn't genuine, but not citing where the source is from could be to cover himself or others, which is reasonable. 

Agreed. Plus they might have sources that have multiple collectors items. So maybe they also dont want anyone to contact his connections directly and get items before them.

Ultimately, if we question the things on bionicle universe's site though, I think we need to question whether everything is a fake. All their masks for instance look legit to me, so how do we know if every misprint or promo mask ever is fake? I think it's up to the person buying to decide. If you think it's legit, buy it. If you dont think it's legit, dont buy it. I know if they advertised the last items on my bionicle bucketlist, I'd be racing to get them.

13 hours ago, ToaDume said:

Agreed. Plus they might have sources that have multiple collectors items. So maybe they also dont want anyone to contact his connections directly and get items before them.

Ultimately, if we question the things on bionicle universe's site though, I think we need to question whether everything is a fake. All their masks for instance look legit to me, so how do we know if every misprint or promo mask ever is fake? I think it's up to the person buying to decide. If you think it's legit, buy it. If you dont think it's legit, dont buy it. I know if they advertised the last items on my bionicle bucketlist, I'd be racing to get them.

I guess this is the part that matters. People pay upwards of $50 on Shapeways for 3D Printed Bionicle masks. They pay tens of dollars for homebrew masks by resin moulders and painters and kitbashers. None of that stuff is legitimate, right? But people like it for the fact of having something that looks cool. I guess it's also worth factoring in collector's items and legitimacy, but every obscure misprint could just as easily have been invented, and Lego is never going to officially come out and say "this is a comprehensive list of every misprint or prototype that left the company's storerooms." Follow how you feel and what interests you. 

5 hours ago, bohrokmaster said:

Hey guys. I couldn't help but wonder if I am going overboard with a Bionicle fan site I was building. Is there something wrong?:o

No, there is a facebook user / bricklink store who goes by bionicle universe. They have many many extremely rare prototypes and misprints. misprinta. Talking about them, not talking about you

• Like 1

I would advise caution while the people above me are right its also worth briefly considering if he got them under less than legal conditions. I never heard of this seller before so I cant say for certain but I wouldn't buy from them but thats just me. If you feel comfortable with this seller get things from him. if you don't then don't buy things from him. 

6 hours ago, Gzstg said:

I would advise caution while the people above me are right its also worth briefly considering if he got them under less than legal conditions. I never heard of this seller before so I cant say for certain but I wouldn't buy from them but thats just me. If you feel comfortable with this seller get things from him. if you don't then don't buy things from him. 

They're actually pretty big I think. On bricklink, they have 818 positive sales of mostly bionicle displays from stores closing and rare merchandise.  Their site is here

https://store.bricklink.com/collectors?p=collectors#/shop

While 818 positive sales might not seem like alot, but then they exclusively deal with rare merchandise, (no common individual pieces), I would say that's a lot of positive feedback given the context of no common pieces.

Edited by ToaDume

• 2 months later...

For what its worth, I've bought a couple sets from him and everything was accounted for and packaged well (and he even threw in some trading cards for free which is nice:D). They were not expensive items, but are pretty old (2001-02) and came in great condition. 

His prototypes do look pretty legit, compared with others who have similar prototypes. Haven't (obviously) held any of his so can't say for sure, but does seem real. Just my 2 cents

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me