LEGO Provides Sustainability Initiative Updates

Hapori Tohu

2020-09-15_Sustainability_Announce_tease
Today LEGO is announcing some promising new developments as part of their ongoing sustainability initiatives. Starting next year, LEGO will be introducing recycled paper as a replacement for the single use plastics that are currently used for the parts bags in sets. This will start out as a limited trial, but the goal is to remove all single use plastics and make their packaging completely sustainable by 2025. To read the full press release on these and other steps the company is making on their path to a better planet, as well as some images of the new packaging in use, read on!

View the full article

I will confess that, for almost ten years now, I've had this weird habit where I refused to throw out any packaging from any new Lego sets I got, which included the plastic "disposable" bags. Typically, I would try to cleanly open the bag on one end, then flatten and stack the empty bags and put them back inside the box with the instruction book and empty sticker sheet, which I would also not throw out. Yeah, I know it's weird, but at least in a way one could argue I ended up not contributing any waste because of this.

At least those new paper bags shown in the images look interesting. They may not be transparent like the plastic bags, but I can see why kids would find them easier to open.

Edited by Chronicler06
added something else I wanted to say

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

1 hour ago, Chronicler06 said:

I will confess that, for almost ten years now, I've had this weird habit where I refused to throw out any packaging from any new Lego sets I got, which included the plastic "disposable" bags. Typically, I would try to cleanly open the bag on one end, then flatten and stack the empty bags and put them back inside the box with the instruction book and empty sticker sheet, which I would also not throw out. Yeah, I know it's weird, but at least in a way one could argue I ended up not contributing any waste because of this.

At least those new paper bags shown in the images look interesting. They may not be transparent like the plastic bags, but I can see why kids would find them easier to open.

You're going to confuse future archaeologists so much.

But I get it. I do it a little differently with some sets. For two City sets, I didn't even put on the stickers (they look fine without them) and I just save the stickers, box, and instructions.

Does anyone else remember how, at least with Bionicle sets, the bags would be numbered? They had pretty cool graphic designs on them, too. If I could save any, it would be those.

I've tried opening the bags cleanly, but it's so hard. If I were serious about it I'd use scissors.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!