Question About Epic

Let's Henshin!

A while back yself and a group of four other writers decided to create an Epic together, with one of us posting a chapter, then switching off to another writer who writes the next chapter. We have spent extensive time together planning, and coming up with, the plot, characters, locations and more. However just before we were going to start the Epic, we noticed the Round Robin Rule. This brings me to my question.Would this story be considered a Round Robin, or just a regular coauthored piece, albeit with more coauthors than normal?

Edited by Toa Onarax

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

If the four of you are collaborating and working from a shared plot outline, rather than each independently adding to the story as you go along, I would imagine it would fall under the category of just being a coauthored fic, not a Round Robin fic. The way I read the rules, it seems the issue with Round Robin fics is that far too often they wind up spinning off in too many directions and/or fall victim to author infighting over the plot, resulting in an incoherent mess - but if you're all working from one outline and simply swapping the writer from chapter to chapter, that shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

If the four of you are collaborating and working from a shared plot outline, rather than each independently adding to the story as you go along, I would imagine it would fall under the category of just being a coauthored fic, not a Round Robin fic. The way I read the rules, it seems the issue with Round Robin fics is that far too often they wind up spinning off in too many directions and/or fall victim to author infighting over the plot, resulting in an incoherent mess - but if you're all working from one outline and simply swapping the writer from chapter to chapter, that shouldn't be an issue.

I am 97% sure you are correct, GSR.I'm not the Forum Leader in Epics, but I think we can assume that what you are describing would be allowed by the following:"1) Only the author(s) of the story is (are) allowed to post in the story topic."And by this post (warning - archive link). The Epics rules have remained more or less static over the years, so this still holds true.If you want a definite definite answer, though, consider sending Hahli Husky a PM.Question answered, topic closed.