Psionics Revisited

Aderia

Psionics Revisited 

(disclaimer: this is like 85% pure conjecture, but aiming to be canonically plausible, least.) 

I know Psionics has been the topic of much discussion and contention since it came out. It’s a huge, ill-defined power set, and many people think it shouldn’t be its own element. I don’t entirely disagree, but as G1 is passed and Psionics was never recalled, I’ve tried to come up with a few different indices on which elemental and non-elemental psionics could operate, and lay out possible examples or applications of that family of psionic ability. 

Sources of psionic powers:
-Ce-Matoran, Ce-Toa, Ce-Turaga
-Makuta
-Kraata: Fear, Anger, Rahi/Insect control, etc. 
-Krana: telepathy, strategy
-Rhotuka: Sidorak’s command spinner, possibly Varian’s sleep spinner, etc. 
-Kanohi: Suletu, Matatu, Komau, Olisi
-Vahki staffs
-Skakdi powers. Avak’s prison creation and Reidak’s adaptability could be construed examples of non-elemental dynamic powers. 

General limitation: I think it’s reasonable that elemental and non-elemental psionics cannot affect unconscious regulations in brain – ie, homeostasis, breathing, blinking. Also cannot alter already-encoded memory, nor motor skills (that would be way too much power, although everything is up for debate).

Indices 

Static vs. Dynamic – the big criticism of Psionics as an element is that so many other beings in the MU have psionics powers. To deal with this, I think it makes sense that non-elemental Psionics powers (those granted by Kanohi or Vahki staffs or wielded by Rahkshi or some Rahi) are static. They have a concrete set of limitations and abilities. Kanohi include Suletu, Matatu, Komau, Olisi, Rahi Control, probably others. Rahkshi powers like fear, anger, insect control, etc. are also included. The mind-barrier that Ce-Matoran and Order of Mata Nui operatives have combat most static psionic powers, although it’s questionable whether a basic mind-barrier by a non-elemental psionics wielder could withstand a concentrated Suletu attack by an advanced user, or a high-level fear-Rahkshi attack, for example. Elemental Psionics – wielded by Toa of Psionics and Makuta, is a dynamic power set, able to be customized and honed to the individual’s own strengths, weaknesses, station in life, etc. Can shift and adapt, scaling to level of power required for whatever task is at hand.

Thought vs. Feeling – Again, a psionics-user would have an inclination or proclivity toward affecting one over another, but both can be learned, like learning a second language. This is a lesser index, not really mentioned below, but I think it’s a good distinction to make. Knowing when to influence conscious thoughts versus subtly nudge or suppress someone’s emotions shouldn’t be underestimated. 

These next three are the more concrete distinctions in power manifestation and development, and formed the best distinctions for classifying abilities. 

Self vs.Others – I like to think this would be like right hand versus left hand dominance, a psionics-wielder has a natural bent toward one over the other. Certain abilities/powers don’t work on self, and certain ones don’t work on others. 

Input/Output – pretty straightforward, input is perceptions, output is projections. Receiving vs broadcasting. Basic mind-reading and thought-projection, both of which Ce-Matoran (therefore Order agents) are immune to, for better or worse. 

Enhance/Alter/Block – Three main ways cognition/thought can be affected by psionic power. 

Categories
Not meant to be hard and fast, impassable barriers, but more of a framework to help think about the huge scope of abilities mind-messing can include. 

Enhance input (self) – briefly enhance one’s senses, but makes oneself more vulnerable to distractions, thus disrupting the enhancement. Simplest to enhance one sense at a time, disciplined users can enhance more than one. Another aspect is being able to read minds more clearly, from a farther distance, with less restriction. ‘Scrying’ is another possibility of how this power can be manifested or developed. Reading minds falls into this category. On that note, could a super-enhanced mind-reading ability work through dimensional barriers? Would a Toa of Psionics with a Kanohi Mohtrek be able to link up with their duplicated counterparts across space-time? 
Alter input (self) – greater capacity for self-delusion. Can’t think of a great practical use for this. Kind of a mish-mashed, less potent version of what the Mask of Alternate Futures and Mask of Creation can do – help visualize possibilities. Creating illusions for oneself. 
Block input (self) – Could be useful for dampening own senses. If a dynamic psionics user had a Suletu, which is reportedly always on at a low level, you could ‘turn it off’, essentially. 

Enhance input (others) – enhance sense of others, can be helpful or distracting, potentially overwhelming. If target is already a psionics-user and can read minds (ex: Suletu user, another Toa of Psionics, possibly a Makuta), can enhance their psionic range. Can also read through mind-barriers, like what Helyrx would have. Strength of barrier versus strength of enhanced mind-read come into play, and it becomes a battle of will.  Mind control would fall into this category. 
Alter input (others) – like what we saw Makuta do to Vakama in Time Trap, trapping him in a complex illusion, and that would be a highly advanced example. This is different than how an Olisi would work, because Makuta could control and adapt how the vision played out based on Vakama’s actions. Making target think they were hearing voices, another example. It was theorized somewhere that a Kualsi-user could quick-travel to a location shown to them in their minds by a psionics-user, which would be super risky, but theoretically possible. That would fall under this family of abilities. Power of suggestion. 
Block input (others) – obvious example, trap them in essentially an isolated void. Also useful for shielding allies from psionic attacks. 

Enhance output (self) – can project thoughts with more clarity, farther, through mind-barriers. Telekinesis probably falls into this category, but could also be its own thing. That being said, I think it needs reasonable limitation(s) – whatever you’re moving can’t be alive (can’t telekinete a Matoran, but you could telekinete his armor?), can’t shift weight more than yourself (can counter this by anchoring self physically against something?), have to be able to see what you’re moving (similar to how a Mask of Quick-Travel is limited). Hypnosis and illusion creation. 
Alter output (self) – This one was more difficult, and could definitely use more fleshing out. Could fool a static psionics user – like, if a Suletu user was nearby, they’d be able to sense the void you leave if you totally block your output, but if you alter it, they’ll only pick up that you’re thinking of Ussal crabs, for example, instead of picking up that you know they’re trying to mind-read you. Requires awareness that you’re trying to be mind-read, though. 
Block output (self) – Mind-readers can’t read you. 

Enhance output (others) – Can project someone else’s thoughts, can boost others’ psionic abilities, whether it be static or dynamic. 
Alter output (others) – requires awareness that another is outputting psionic power. Could intercept or hijack a Suletu-mediated conversation. Essentially, using psionics to fight psionics.  
Block output (others) – nullify other psionic powers at the source. Instead of expending a lot of energy and concentration shielding your team from an anger Rahkshi, block the Kraata’s ability to output. 

More canon or theoretical examples welcome!!

Jury’s out on these:  
•    Dream powers – I’m not sure if dreams count as input or output, but dream-alteration, blocking, and enhancement (realization, like the Golden Skinned being’s powers) are pretty cool ideas, I just couldn’t figure out a neat category. The output is internal? The content is self-inputting? No idea. 
•    Telekinesis – see ‘enhance output (self)’ Do powers like disintegration or fragmentation fall inot this category? or how Toa of physical elements, like earth and stone are seen levitating large quantities of their element? 
•    Invisibility – is it a physiological change or an alteration of a perception to viewers? 
•    Kakama – enhanced mental processing is probably needed to be able to function and react while moving that fast. Perhaps some permutation of sensory aptitude 
•    Other abilities that may or may not have a psionic component – Reidak’s adaptability, Axonn’s insanity-heal, Mask of Charisma, Mask of Psychometry, Avak’s prison-creation, Kanohi Rode, Kanohi Elda, Kanohi Iden, Kanohi Mahiki, Mask of Possibilities (related to dream-realization, mask of creation, etc), Kanohi Zatth
•    Anonna and Tren Krom – if anyone wants to take a crack at these two, they’re in a zone of their own. 
•    ‘Mental blast’ – described as a power that Toa of Psionics are capable of, as well as Hakann. Probably tailored to the attacker’s preference. Also, what would a Psionics Nova Blast do? Leave everyone brain-dead? Drive everyone insane?
•    Do psionic powers work on Spherus Magna residents? (there may be a topic on this, I’m not sure, I feel like I’ve seen the question asked before). I’d lean toward ‘no’, because I think I read in one of the Greg q&a sessions that he pictures the Matoran Languge to be some kind of coding language, so psionics would flow from that, and probably not work on organic beings. So would psionics be technopathy, then? 

In summation: Psionics is a cool power, and I think it has the potential to be hugely overpowered. I think a good analogy is this: Psionics as a whole is a library. A Matatu user uses the quick-refence function or asks a librarian, and shortcuts straight to the telekinesis section, but as long as the telekinesis book is checked out, they can’t use any other books in the libarary (ie, they have no other psionic powers of their own). A Toa of Psionics has access to the whole library, and because they’re an exclusive member, they can check out as many books as they want (choose to hone as many powers as they want), but its up to them to put in the work to become a master. 

Thoughts, disagreements, discussion welcome!! 

• Like 2

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

As long as Earth and Stone are different elements, nothing will ever make sense about Elemental Powers.

In one of the Legends books, Dalu uses her weapons to exponentially increase Gali's sense of sight, allowing her to see visually through the fabric of reality and driving her insane. Would this be a Psionic power? This is why most franchises use a simple formula of "telekinesis and mind control" as what their psychic-power people can do.

Edited by Master Inika
  • Like 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Yes, Earth/Stone is puzzling. But some systems make it work, like rock type opposed to ground type in Pokemon. Then also you have the people who are in the camp that 'dirt is made of decomposed organic matter, so Toa of Earth are Toa of Death'. However personally appealing I find that, I understand how it wouldn't have been cool for the kiddos. 

About Dalu's weapons - yeah, BS01 mentions how a Toa of Psionics can use their powers to affect (specifically, in context of creation sensory illusions) all five senses. Enhancing senses seems simpler than that, so I don't see why not. I'd categorize Dalu's weapons as non-elemental, probably static, though, and their effects able to be overridden by a Toa of Psionics (or Axonn). Good example! I've actually been wondering if maybe Psionics isn't a permutation of Sonics, based on how tools like Vahki staffs and your Dalu example can have psionic-like effects. This is kind of a tangent (totally completely far out there, but I'm not a complete nutjob, promise), but I read an article about how people who have their Alexa (smart hockey-puck by Amazon thing) linked up to their home security system are vulnerable to a new sort of robbery. Whoever wants to break in can aim a laser at Alexa's microphone and program the laser to pulse in a way that somehow duplicates the voice command for Alexa to unlock the house and let the burglar in. I didn't believe it when I heard about it, but I googled 'Alexa laser hack', (youtube video where they explain it and test it out) and it's nuts. So, based on how MU inhabitants are 85% super smart machine and the rest organic, I'd totally buy that they can hack each other with lasers-mimicking-sound-wave commands and call it psionics. 

About the mind-control thing - the one stipulation that seems consistent, whether it be a Komau or theoretically a Toa of Psionics, is that they can't make the controllee do something directly against their (the controllee's, presumably) morals. It can't be that hard to find someone with no morals to control, right? That seems like a pretty exploitable loophole. 

Edited by Aderia
took out term 'AI', because that's way too out of my depth, also added link

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic