The connection between Mata Nui and Matoro

A fellow fan told that the Great Spirit Mata Nui could be Matoro theoretically. That’s because he thinks that Mata Nui developed a personality after Matoro sacrificed his life, in the image where Matoro was looking at a giant leg piece in a poster for the 2009 storyline. 

However, I would disagree with the fan about that. That’s because Mata Nui was created by the Great Beings, and Matoro was just a worker created to help Mata Nui, like every other Matoran Universe resident. Mata Nui was looking over the MU when he was put into a coma. Matoro just sacrificed his life to revive Mata Nui. Plus, in The Legend Reborn, Mata Nui described the Mask of Life as a mask being worn by a Toa warrior, not by himself. So, both of them are two different people. 

Weird, huh? Lol.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Your friend might have confused Mata Nui and the Ignika. The Ignika, while alive before meeting Matoro, took inspiration from his actions and tried to live as he did (even basing his voice on Matoro's). Mata Nui, on the other hand, did not have his personality particularly affected/influenced by Matoro.

Also, the "Matoro" in that promotional image for 2009 was actually a placeholder for Mata Nui - his design just wasn't finished at the time. The giant leg is part of the prototype GSR.

sigbanner.gif

50 minutes ago, TuragaNuva said:

Your friend might have confused Mata Nui and the Ignika. The Ignika, while alive before meeting Matoro, took inspiration from his actions and tried to live as he did (even basing his voice on Matoro's). Mata Nui, on the other hand, did not have his personality particularly affected/influenced by Matoro.

Also, the "Matoro" in that promotional image for 2009 was actually a placeholder for Mata Nui - his design just wasn't finished at the time. The giant leg is part of the prototype GSR.

Yeah. That’s what I’m thinking. Mata Nui and Matoro are two different people. They just used the mask. Matoro is the guy who helped Mata Nui and Mata Nui is Mata Nui. Mata Nui is always himself, and he is aware of what happened since his coma. He knows who Matoro is.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this is the image you were referring to correct? Yes, this image alone was what hyped me up for the glatorian era and wondering what 2009 could bring to the story. I was confused seeing an obvious Matoro silhouette standing next to a giant Vahki leg (cuz that's obviously what it was right?! :P ) but I was certain they would explain it somehow!

image.png.02b17b03eee177257457a9d79a961483.png

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

5 hours ago, TERIDAX941 said:

I believe this is the image you were referring to correct? Yes, this image alone was what hyped me up for the glatorian era and wondering what 2009 could bring to the story. I was confused seeing an obvious Matoro silhouette standing next to a giant Vahki leg (cuz that's obviously what it was right?! :P ) but I was certain they would explain it somehow!

image.png.02b17b03eee177257457a9d79a961483.png

That’s exactly the photo that I was talking about. Lol.