LEGO Celebrates Video Game 25th Anniversary With New Podcast

2020-12-02_LEGO_Video_Games_Anniversary_
Back in December 1995, the very first LEGO video game was released (bonus points if you know what it was offhand). Now, twenty-five years later, LEGO is looking back at a quarter-century of digital collaboration with a new podcast that takes us on the LEGO gaming journey. A teaser episode for Bits N' Bricks, hosted by journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent, launches today on a variety of podcast platforms and looks like it'll be a treat for gaming and brick historians alike. To learn more about the company's forays into the digital realm and about the podcast specifically, read on!

View the full article

Huh, I thought Lego Creator would've been the first, but Lego Island actually predates even that one.

Interesting stuff.  There's a lot of Lego video games out there; I'm curious if they'll eventually delve into some of the online games as well.

:music: 

1 hour ago, xccj said:

Huh, I thought Lego Creator would've been the first, but Lego Island actually predates even that one.

Interesting stuff.  There's a lot of Lego video games out there; I'm curious if they'll eventually delve into some of the online games as well.

:music: 

Yeah, like Mata Nui Online Game. People are into something like this. 

Anyway, I hope they will talk about the Bionicle games. I mean, they are memorable, right?

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Okay, I have to ask. Of the images in that article, what games are these two from?

1. Batlord and Royal King fighting outside the former's castle
  2. Johnny Thunder standing in front of the wall panel depicting Horus

I thought I knew of every Lego game from the pre-TT era, but those two are completely unfamiliar to me, which leaves me very puzzled! xD

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 12/4/2020 at 1:05 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Okay, I have to ask. Of the images in that article, what games are these two from?

1. Batlord and Royal King fighting outside the former's castle
  2. Johnny Thunder standing in front of the wall panel depicting Horus

I thought I knew of every Lego game from the pre-TT era, but those two are completely unfamiliar to me, which leaves me very puzzled! xD

Those images were sent to us in a folder titled, "EP-10_DARWIN," which I assume refers to episode 10 of the podcast (although that doesn't quite line up with the episode names). The press release says this about Darwin:

"The company's video games development team started life as 'Project Darwin', a small team led by artist Dent-de-Lion Du Midi who travelled to the LEGO Group's headquarters in the mid-1990s to convince then CEO, Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, to let the team experiment with digitizing the brick. The team showed Kjeld what some have described as the first ever LEGO Movie - a short film they had spent a year producing in the run up to the meeting."

So the Castle and Adventurers images might have been from that short film they mention or other internal things that never saw the light of day - until now!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 10:17 PM, Bambi said:

I do miss the days where every Lego game was a different experience, instead of a different theme and the same gameplay over and over. But they're also not aimed at me, so I guess it's okay lol.

Same boat here. I prefer the old "Lego Media" era (Island/Racers/Alpha Team/Rock Raiders), but that puts me firmly in curmudgeon territory.

Definitely curious about this Darwin thing (I couldn't place those screenshots either). Excited to get one more glimpse of all of those early creative ventures.

• Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6