What does this mean for Bionicle’s 20th anniversary (or future)?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. These guys talked to Greg about things that involve Bionicle’s 20th anniversary: https://bionifigs.fr/interview-with-greg-farshtey-author-of-the-bionicle-novels/ .

After I read his answers, he seems to be not doing anything, and I wonder what does this mean for Bionicle’s 20th anniversary next year (or future)? That also goes with Bionicle G1’s unfinished story, Hero Factory’s unfinished story and the theories where Bionicle G1 and HF share the same universe implyingly (also the soundtracks for Bionicle: The Legend Reborn, Hero Factory TV show, and Bionicle G2 stuff, and HF’s 11th anniversary next year). I mean, if Bionicle is inactive, these things aren’t continuing. They have been achieved closed and cold without being used for 10 years. That sounds sad. Sodoka’s project in Lego Ideas being denied is one thing, but this is another. I mean, is there any hope for Bionicle (and constraction in general)? I’m scared and anxious, even for next year. :( Anyone would like to share your thoughts? It kind of feels like Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers Endgame when Thanos disintegrated loved ones.

Edited by Lenny7092
Grammar issues.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Ultimately, Greg is not the license holder he doesn't own the property; so really he has no say in the future of the franchise. It also sounds very much like Greg has not worked with Lego in the last few years, so really he has no clue what their plans are or lack of them.

So far to my knowledge only a few Lego themes have actually gotten any anniversary recognition:

• 50th Anniversary of the Lego Brick celebrated in 2005-2006 (Toa Iruni was part of that "golden anniversary" effort actually)
  • 60th Anniversary of the Lego Brick (2018) 
  • 40th Anniversary of Lego Trains (2020) 
  • 10th Anniversary of Lego Star Wars (2009)
  • 40th Technic Anniversary (2017)
  • 20th Anniversary of Lego Star Wars (2019)

It is worth noting though all the classic themes that don't have anniversary sets. Classic Space, Pirates, Castle all lack anniversary tributes, Town/City sort of got celebrated with the Lego Brick's 50th Anniversary sets but never been celebrated on its own. Train and Technic both took 40 years to get their recognition. Star Wars is the only "modern" theme to get that same recognition, but it has to be noted that due to Star Wars's massive pop culture presence it will always demand that recognition since Star Wars fans celebrate the anniversary of almost every single film release.

Expecting Lego to make a massive effort to mark Bionicle's anniversary is expecting to much. Yes it was iconic, but unlike any of the other anniversary themes it is not a currently ongoing product line at Lego. If there was any official anniversary recognition at best we could expect a small promo set like the Lego Trains one from earlier this year, but with the caveat that it would be a System or Technic focused build with almost no CCBS or classic Bionicle parts. I think more likely though if Lego were to recognize the theme on its 20th birthday it will be a brief social media post on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram that says something like "On this day in 2001 Lego launched Bionicle. Share your memories in the comments."  

The important thing to note is that Lego is keeping Bionicle under their watch still, you can see it in the Voya-Nui flight in the recent City airplane set, or the stickers in the various Hidden Side sets referencing Bionicle; or Mata-Nui and the Mask of Creation both showing up in the Ninjago City docks. Lego keeps the Bionicle trademark active and registered, and it is usually listed at the end of their "legalese" on their official websites. But Lego's nostalgia shouldn't be confused with them actively planning something. More likely, I think in a few more years we will see Bionicle obtain the same reverence that Classic Space, Pirates and Castle have and we might get the occasional Bionicle throwback set from time to time (albeit using Technic and System builds with very little classic Bionicle molds) much like how Classic Space has the occasional spaceman popping up in Creator, promo or Lego Movie sets. But... Lego's target audience is children, and children have very little reason to be nostalgic about a 20+ year old toy. I'd love to see a G3 as much as anyone (and would buy a ton of it, if it happened), but pragmatically speaking I think its in Lego's best interests to use their original IP slots to not repeatedly try and revive the memory of Bionicle (or any classic theme for that matter) and instead focus on creating new original themes for new generations to enjoy. Imagine in 2001 if instead of getting Bionicle Lego instead produced "15th Anniversary Blacktron sets" because a bunch of nostalgic adults on the internet told them that is what they wanted? In effect, I wouldn't want our nostalgia to rob children of today from having their own chance to experience their own stories. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!