• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

Set Review: 6203 Black Phantom

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 934 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 05:00 PM

border="0">
It's been a little bit since our last 2012 Hero Factory review, but fear not! We have not forgotten about you guys. Today Sisen takes a look at the big set from the first wave - Black Phantom. Will this villain mastermind his escape or will he end up back in jail on the toy stores' shelves?

View the full article

#2 Offline Prodigal

Prodigal
  • Members
  • Bionicle Writer of the Month

• 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 08:16 PM

Eh, It looks pretty good, but I just don't feel like spendnig 20 bucks on a set with so many peices I have.
1669_sig.jpg

#3 Offline ignika527

ignika527
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 34 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 08:23 PM

Eh, It looks pretty good, but I just don't feel like spendnig 20 bucks on a set with so many peices I have.

You do have a point, but the new/ recolored pieces may be worth somewhat close value of the whole set. An added bonus is if you do get it, more pieces to make the combo model if you have rocka

#4 Offline Mesonak

Mesonak
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Flying Force Defeated

• 3,768 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 08:44 PM

Got the set a while back, it's very well made. Every negative problem from Fire is fixed, from the jumbled color scheme, to the awkward arm supports, to the gappy and under-armored legs, it's all fixed. It's an excellent set IMO.I agree, however, with the flaws listed. After Witch Doctor, BP is (understandably) underwhelming to a degree, being nothing more than a perfected Fire Lord design. I also find fault with the fact that his extra appendages and the tubes attached to them are a different color than his Zamor sphere, blade, and eyes, ruining what could have been a perfectly balanced color scheme. But I suppose it's not that much of a problem.Oh, and the Arachnix Drone is <3-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak, Jan 21 2012 - 08:51 PM.

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

#5 Offline Makuta_of_Oz

Makuta_of_Oz
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,492 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 09:53 PM

My question is this: Is Black Phantom's helmet all one piece, or are those blade things on each side separate pieces?

wearewaiting.gif
Credit goes to JrMasterModelBuilder for the banner.

The Bring Back Bionicle Club is back! PM me or leave a message in my blog if you want in.

Baterra are awesome. They enforce weapon laws. Please support their cause on CUUSOO.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig.

#6 Offline dotcom

dotcom
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Shattered

• 4,754 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 10:09 PM

My question is this: Is Black Phantom's helmet all one piece, or are those blade things on each side separate pieces?

His helmet is formed by four pieces, a size two cross axle(?), the helmet piece and two horns.I got this set a while back. It's pretty cool, though I agree that the mace staff is clumbersome. And actually, I never got FL or Rocka xl, so for me it was kind of a new design.I'm also not fond of the torso top left bare by the new armor. Still, not a major problem.

Edited by dotcom, Jan 21 2012 - 10:10 PM.

wwwwweeeeee.jpg

#7 Offline Silver the Hedgehog

Silver the Hedgehog
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 732 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 10:18 PM

I am looking for this set as well as Furno. I was looking for Breeze and Thornaxx, but sadly they do not come out until summer in the U.S.A. :(
Silver is my favorite Sonic character. Deal with it,
Go ahead clicky.

Posted Image

#8 Offline Nathan Evo

Nathan Evo
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,345 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 10:51 PM

Oh, hey, you didn't mention the head is in a new color.Not like I'm surprised, anyway. And yes, I will keep pestering you until you acknowledge it. http://www.bzpower.c...tyle_emoticons/default/mad.gif
"I'm on Toxic Reapa's home planet, and I've found a cocoon full of what I assume are younger versions of Toxic Reapa's deadly species.
My instincts say I should trash it!"

#9 Offline GeluNumber1

GeluNumber1
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 914 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 11:12 PM

I got this set a while for Christmas. He's pretty cool; if it had been my own money spent to get it, I would've done it.
Posted Image
Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

#10 Offline Makuta_of_Oz

Makuta_of_Oz
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,492 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 11:46 PM

His helmet is formed by four pieces, a size two cross axle(?), the helmet piece and two horns.

Awesome. I guess it's worth getting after all!That's right, I WANT TO BUY AN HF SET!

wearewaiting.gif

The Bring Back Bionicle Club is back! PM me or leave a message in my blog if you want in.

Baterra are awesome. They enforce weapon laws. Please support their cause on CUUSOO.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig.

#11 Offline dotcom

dotcom
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Shattered

• 4,754 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 21 2012 - 11:52 PM

His helmet is formed by four pieces, a size two cross axle(?), the helmet piece and two horns.

Awesome. I guess it's worth getting after all!That's right, I WANT TO BUY AN HF SET!

Is it bad that 4 or so months ago when we first saw the official images, my first thought upon seeing Black Phantom was "Oh hey another set MoZ is going to buy because of black helmet Skrall shenanigans." ?

Edited by dotcom, Jan 21 2012 - 11:52 PM.

wwwwweeeeee.jpg

#12 Offline ~Shockwave~

~Shockwave~
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 1,025 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 12:02 AM

I am looking for this set as well as Furno. I was looking for Breeze and Thornaxx, but sadly they do not come out until summer in the U.S.A. :(

How do you figure that? I've seen breez.They are winter sets.on a differant note, that spider thing is adorable

smilie_autobot.gifWe do what we must. Because we can.smilie_bumblebee.gif these smileys created by Click

fs_overall.png

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me on any of these.

#13 Offline unknown_user2596

unknown_user2596
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 334 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 12:22 AM

This looks like a cool set, but I don't like how the FL build is (re)used here. It seems so unoriginal in doing so. I hope later titan-sized sets would go away from this type of build...

#14 Offline Makuta_of_Oz

Makuta_of_Oz
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,492 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 12:25 AM

Is it bad that 4 or so months ago when we first saw the official images, my first thought upon seeing Black Phantom was "Oh hey another set MoZ is going to buy because of black helmet Skrall shenanigans." ?

O_OMaybe... afaik that fact wasn't that well-known.In this case it's not just the helmet though: That mace would make a great Skrall weapon, and all the other black pieces can be used to make unique Skrall of all kinds too.

wearewaiting.gif

-- Greg Farshtey

#15 Offline dotcom

dotcom
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Shattered

• 4,754 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 12:28 AM

O_OMaybe... afaik that fact wasn't that well-known.In this case it's not just the helmet though: That mace would make a great Skrall weapon, and all the other black pieces can be used to make unique Skrall of all kinds too.

My memory when it comes to remembering random facts about people in BZP is surprisingly amazing.Also creepy.Anyway, I agree about this set being good fodder for Skrall sets. quite a lot of usable parts.

wwwwweeeeee.jpg

#16 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 10,836 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 08:32 AM

How do you figure that? I've seen breez.They are winter sets.on a differant note, that spider thing is adorable

Have you seen them in the US? So far, I am pretty sure they have only been released in Europe.By the way, the reason why there is no piece count on the box is because that is how packaging is outside American countries.Thanks for the review! :) I take it you are going to review Breez?~Gata. ;)

Posted Image

Please don't use my avatar without permission, thanks ^_^

#17 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 08:47 AM

It looks like a neat set, definitely on my list after Thornraxx. Sad thing is, the only sets I really want are the ones they haven't released in the US yet...

1395440177m_SPLASH.jpg

#18 Offline ToaGreshWave

ToaGreshWave
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 20 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 09:54 AM

Nice to see a review of my fav HF set :biggrin: . Seriously, throw Fire lord in the trash and buy you a Black Phantom.
Posted Image

#19 Offline Smitty

Smitty
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,348 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 11:13 AM

No they come out at the end of the month.

It's the bears that enforce the law in LEGO CITY.

#20 Offline DOTM Shockwave

DOTM Shockwave
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 594 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 11:36 AM

I have this set, he is way better than Fire Lord. Black Phantom, compare to Fire Lord, has a better color scheme, no arm support system, and has gaps covered-up. I hated the mace, so I took it off, flipped his weapon around, and turned his weapon into a lance
Formerly known as ROTF Devastator
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 Offline Goose

Goose
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Return to Metru Nui

• 7,506 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 12:18 PM

It's been a little bit since our last 2012 Hero Factory review, but fear now!

If you say so. I'M FEARING NOW! AAAGH! :lol:Anyhow, I've had Black Phantom for a while now (a little over a week), and I've had the same problems with the big staff. At first, I took it apart and just used the blade. I keep the Arachnix seperate, instead of using it as a gun.I found it strange that there was no mention of the fact that there are a few different shades of trans-green inside the set, I didn't like that much personally.However, if he ends up the only Breakout set I get, he's definitely worth it.

"We're not like them... we're something more... something better..."

marked.png

"I never asked for this. I never asked to be a god."

"I want you to know the pain I've endured before you call me a villain."

Marked: Chapter 12 (Coming Soon)

Review Topic

"If they say that I'm a god, that's what I am."

BZPRPG 2013

#22 Offline Mesonak

Mesonak
  • Premier Member
  • Flying Force Defeated

• 3,768 posts

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 12:39 PM

Different people who have supposedly received word from Lego say different things about what they were told. Some say January 31st, some say their release has been pushed back to the summer wave, where they will join the sets being released there. I, myself, was told that they would be released on January 1st by a Lego Customer Service represenative, and look how well that went.I suppose there's nothing to do but wait and see. Anyways, one thing I forgot to mention in my last post regarding Black Phantom was that, apparently, a secondary "function" to the set is that you're able to remove the blade from the end of his mace, detach the Arachnix Drone and let it walk free, and stick the blade in his left hand to give him two melee weapons. I tried it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It definitely removes some awkwardness from the set, but the mace feels kind of... empty wihout it. Meh.-Mesonak

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

#23 Offline Goose

Goose
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Return to Metru Nui

• 7,506 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 01:35 PM

Different people who have supposedly received word from Lego say different things about what they were told. Some say January 31st, some say their release has been pushed back to the summer wave, where they will join the sets being released there. I, myself, was told that they would be released on January 1st by a Lego Customer Service represenative, and look how well that went.I suppose there's nothing to do but wait and see.Anyways, one thing I forgot to mention in my last post regarding Black Phantom was that, apparently, a secondary "function" to the set is that you're able to remove the blade from the end of his mace, detach the Arachnix Drone and let it walk free, and stick the blade in his left hand to give him two melee weapons. I tried it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It definitely removes some awkwardness from the set, but the mace feels kind of... empty wihout it. Meh.-Mesonak

I found it was best if you took the suggestion, but took the mace out completely, and had the blade as BP's only weapon.

"We're not like them... we're something more... something better..."

marked.png

"I never asked for this. I never asked to be a god."

"I want you to know the pain I've endured before you call me a villain."

Marked: Chapter 12 (Coming Soon)

Review Topic

"If they say that I'm a god, that's what I am."

BZPRPG 2013

#24 Offline Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Smoke Monster
  • Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 4,647 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 01:46 PM

The little crab guy kind of reminds me of Click. :blink:Anyway, this set looks really cool. Definitely one of the best HF sets I've seen, IMO. Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being a bad guy in someone else's story.

#25 Offline Akuna Toa of Sonics

Akuna Toa of Sonics
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 04:42 PM

Even though Black Phantom is a Fire Lord and Rocka XL build, I think he looks really cool. Seeing him in action in the review made me want him even more.

webmaster.png

#26 Offline christo1096

christo1096
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,816 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 23 2012 - 05:16 PM

Some pictures are dark, but the review is great, I like the mask, and the new trans-green pieces, re use of thornaxx head is great.

#27 Offline Silver the Hedgehog

Silver the Hedgehog
  • Members

• 732 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 23 2012 - 05:52 PM

I heared they changed it to summer. If this case is true, then. :biggrin: Lego should have used that crab back in 2009 on the big mata Nui set as click.

Edited by ~Cravix Toa of Balance~, Jan 23 2012 - 05:56 PM.

Go ahead clicky.

Posted Image

#28 Offline Bambi

Bambi
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,062 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 24 2012 - 11:03 AM

Looks like a cool set, I'm tempted to pick him up.

#29 Offline DoomIgnika

DoomIgnika
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 12 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 24 2012 - 06:53 PM

Like with Rocka, I believe it is noteworthy to say that his Glatorian skull is trans-dark green (my word for the color) instead of the usual trans-lime/yellow.
~ DoomIgnika ~ (too lazy to make an actual sig)

#30 Offline ~Shockwave~

~Shockwave~
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 1,025 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 24 2012 - 11:04 PM

Have you seen them in the US? So far, I am pretty sure they have only been released in Europe.By the way, the reason why there is no piece count on the box is because that is how packaging is outside American countries.Thanks for the review! :) I take it you are going to review Breez?~Gata. ;)

I could've sworn I saw a breez...Why are the others shipping than?

smilie_autobot.gifWe do what we must. Because we can.smilie_bumblebee.gif these smileys created by Click

fs_overall.png

#31 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,006 posts

Posted Jan 24 2012 - 11:38 PM

Man, I had planned on getting so many 2012 Hero Factory sets, but I haven't gotten a single one yet. I really should go out and buy some, but Ninjago has become a bit of a higher priority for me (Hero Factory and LEGO City are probably second).
--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#32 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 10,836 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Jan 25 2012 - 10:33 AM

I could've sworn I saw a breez...Why are the others shipping than?

Noone knows why Breez and Thornraxx are held back, and why they are only held back in the US. I think that if they don´t arrive in early February, we can expect them to be released in summer.~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui, Jan 25 2012 - 10:35 AM.

Posted Image

Please don't use my avatar without permission, thanks ^_^

#33 Offline ~Shockwave~

~Shockwave~
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 1,025 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 25 2012 - 05:39 PM

How... strange...I've heard of some weird stuff but...I guess that's just one of those mysteries of life that.we may never know.Like why omega supremes other components appear out of nowhere on the planet he's on.Analysis:inconclusive.

fs_overall.png

#34 Offline Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!

Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!
  • Members
  • Toa

• 113 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 27 2012 - 01:28 PM

Yay! BP! But seriously, the build is such a cheap reuse. Seeing what they could do with Doctor Bones (My name for Witch Doctor) it is a disappointment. Let's look forward to greater developments in Hero Factory. I like HF almost half as much as Bionicle now. That mace doesn't seem too bad to me, but I don't have the set yet so I can't judge these guys. Oh, and Arachnix is sooooooo cute! :)

Edited by Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!, Jan 27 2012 - 01:29 PM.

-L- to the -K-

HERO FACTORY WILL BECOME MILDLY COOL.

BIONICLE WILL REMAIN EPICLY AWESOME.

I WILL INVENT THE PANCAKE.

Why yes, I DO also like Sonic The Hedgehog!

#35 Offline Mesonak

Mesonak
  • Premier Member
  • Flying Force Defeated

• 3,768 posts

Posted Jan 27 2012 - 01:57 PM

Yay! BP! But seriously, the build is such a cheap reuse. Seeing what they could do with Doctor Bones (My name for Witch Doctor) it is a disappointment. Let's look forward to greater developments in Hero Factory. I like HF almost half as much as Bionicle now. That mace doesn't seem too bad to me, but I don't have the set yet so I can't judge these guys. Oh, and Arachnix is sooooooo cute! :)

Not a cheap reuse; more like perfecting a flawed concept. Lego knows people were displeased by Rocka XL and Fire Lord (the only sets which used that build, an entirely new titan design, mind you), so they took fan feedback and decided to perfect it and release a great set using it. Hopefully titans from here on out have new designs, but I wouldn't mind more sets build like this now that Lego's got a handle on how to use it effectively. :)-Mesonak

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

#36 Offline Silver the Hedgehog

Silver the Hedgehog
  • Members

• 732 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 27 2012 - 05:38 PM

I think Lego should use the bionicle build still as well.

Go ahead clicky.

Posted Image

#37 Offline Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 27 2012 - 06:08 PM

There is no "the BIONICLE build", at least not with titan sets. There's BIONICLE's more Technic-based building system, if that's what you're referring to, but really the only way to use this in a Hero Factory model would be to use older BIONICLE and Technic parts instead of Hero Factory parts, and I don't think that'd fit Hero Factory's aesthetic at all.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#38 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,278 posts

Posted Jan 27 2012 - 06:11 PM

Haven't seen it anywhere. They seem to have dropped it. Maybe it just isn't working out for them, or it is too associated with Bionicle for them to try it again.

#39 Offline Silver the Hedgehog

Silver the Hedgehog
  • Members

• 732 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 27 2012 - 11:01 PM

Maybe it is, but they could return it. I mean, there are ways to combine both builds, and there are are many ideas from the old build that Lego has not used.
Go ahead clicky.

Posted Image

#40 Offline Damaracx The Mad Scientist

Damaracx The Mad Scientist
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,837 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 30 2012 - 01:39 PM

This guy is big really it is full with new peices he most certainly looks like he is worth my money.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users