Anatomy questions

thatguy

Pretty certain that the answer to all is yes.

They were designed by the great beings based off of the spherus magus inhabitants, so noses/ears etc would go along with everything else. I'm very certain that multiple characters (Nidhiki, Carapar etc) mentioned smelling their prey.

Plus all the sets always included noses on the Toa/Matoran. 

3x LEGO Bionicle Toa Mata Heads with Brain Stems (Pink, orange and green) |  eBay

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I assume they have all the same main senses humans would have (and maybe then some), but its possible the method of function might be different. Yes they can smell but we don't know if it functions like a biological nose or if its a cybernetic device that translates the smell to their brain. We know Matoran can eat, but its not done often via their mouth but instead absorbing nutrients through their body via coming into contact with food; but we do know they still have the ability to taste and eat via their mouth because we have in the novels mention of Nokama tasting water and orally applying herbal medicine. So this suggests that some bodily functions might have dual methods to them, both oral eating and "hand absorbing eating" both exist and function for Matoran and the same might apply to their other senses. 

I actually wish Lego had given us more details on Matoran anatomy functions, but I imagine going to deep into it would have lead to some questions Lego wasn't ready to answer which is why we only got a superficial understanding of Matoran biology. The closest we ever got to a canon dive into it is some Toa concept art from Mask of Light that showed how the skeleton and armor interacted with muscles.

Humans get access to Bionicle Technology/Biology, materials, and others. |  Page 3 | SpaceBattles Forums

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Like 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Ears are present and implied to be in the same place as a human’s, but I don’t think they have anything resembling ear lobes. Ears are sometimes called “audio receptors”, the two terms are more or less interchangeable. They do seem to have some sort of ear canal, since Lewa complained once about getting water in his ears.

It’s canon that De-Matoran have sensitive hearing, so I like to think other elements have variations in senses as well. Maybe Av-Matoran can see UV and infrared parts of the spectrum, and Bo-Matoran have extremely sensitive senses of smell and taste. Actually the latter is probably true of Po-Matoran as well given that geologists sometimes lick rocks to identify them.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

On 12/22/2020 at 8:22 PM, Xboxtravis said:

I assume they have all the same main senses humans would have (and maybe then some), but its possible the method of function might be different. Yes they can smell but we don't know if it functions like a biological nose or if its a cybernetic device that translates the smell to their brain. We know Matoran can eat, but its not done often via their mouth but instead absorbing nutrients through their body via coming into contact with food; but we do know they still have the ability to taste and eat via their mouth because we have in the novels mention of Nokama tasting water and orally applying herbal medicine. So this suggests that some bodily functions might have dual methods to them, both oral eating and "hand absorbing eating" both exist and function for Matoran and the same might apply to their other senses. 

I believe these were some sort of glands or ducts, if I remember correctly, which would absorb the energy from things to provide energy to the consumer.

Happy chat.

In one of the 2007 books (Downfall, I believe), it says one of the Barraki (I think it was Mantax or Carapar) could smell ozone, which was an indication that Ehlek was charging up his electricity. Additionally, it’s mentioned in Challenge of the Hordika that when the Toa initially capture the tower from the Visorak it smells terrible as a result of so many Visorak being crammed into a limited area.

So not only do they possess a sense of smell, but they also possess BO.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water