Your Bionicle-related expectations in 2021

Lenny7092

Hi, guys! Well, this year has been interesting because we got some updates about Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui Rebuilt (watch LiteStone Studios’ YouTube vidoes about it). Plus, there’s that fan game called Bionicle: Quest for Mata Nui, which is based on the 2001 storyline, and it’s something that 2001 should’ve had. Christian Faber does want Bionicle to come back, and he is doing this “Biovival” campaign to try to make it happen. He also showed us some concept art. We also got to see what Helryx and Artakha look like through canonization contests. There’s no Bionicle or Hero Factory, though. 

Anyway, here are my hopes for 2021: 

1. Bionicle having its 20th anniversary celebrated somehow. Here are my ideas: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/29539-are-there-any-plans-for-bionicle’s-20th-anniversary/ . 

2. Bionicle having its G1 story concluded: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/29403-how-would-g1-be-re-continued-and-ended/ . Same with Hero Factory: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/29475-how-would-hero-factory-be-re-continued-and-ended/ . Plus, a fact that both themes share the same universe (ignore the votes in that links because they don’t mean anything as long as there are more positive comments than negative ones. People have been unimaginative lately. No offense.): http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/29439-anyone-want-bionicle-and-hero-factory-to-share-the-same-universe/ . 

3. Remakes of Bionicle sets in the summer would be nice. 

4. Bionicle and Hero Factory being acknowledged. 

5. Constraction coming back in full force. 

6. More canonization contests: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/29876-canonization-contests-that-you-want-to-happen/ . 

7. A remastered remake of Bionicle Heroes without glitches would be nice. Plus, a TT Lego video game with Bionicle and Hero Factory if done right would be nice. 

8. Quest for Mata Nui. 

9. The Legend of Mata Nui Rebuilt being completed by having the Makuta fight. 

10. Faber accomplishing his goal. 

So, there. I pray for these things, but I don’t want to get my hopes too high. What about you guys?

• Like 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Out of this list, the ones I believe could happen are 1, 4 and 9. Unfortunately, constraction probably isn't coming back due to LEGO throwing out the old molds. As for 10, I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but Faber said he believes that 2021 is the big Biovival year, even if he doesn't get support from LEGO (probably just means he's going the 3d printing route, as he put out a post asking for 3d print designers in the community). Also, while I'm not big on Hero Factory and Bionicle sharing the same universe, I'm not gonna be actively mad if that happened (even if I don't think I will). As for more canon contests, the current ones definitely won't be finished by year's end, so technically that one already came true! ;) 

Edited by Toa Silio

12 minutes ago, Toa Silio said:

Out of this list, the ones I believe could happen are 1, 4 and 9. Unfortunately, constraction probably isn't coming back due to LEGO throwing out the old molds. As for 10, I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but Faber said he believes that 2021 is the big Biovival year, even if he doesn't get support from LEGO (probably just means he's going the 3d printing route, as he put out a post asking for 3d print designers in the community). Also, while I'm not big on Hero Factory and Bionicle sharing the same universe, I'm not gonna be actively mad if that happened (even if I don't think I will). As for more canon contests, the current ones definitely won't be finished by year's end, so technically that one already came true! ;) 

Well, two things: 

1. Well, Legends of Chima became a part of Ninjago in 2015 just in case you don’t know, so that’s why I think Bionicle G1 and Hero Factory sharing the same universe could be reasonable (same would go with Indiana Jones and Star Wars with similar situations (both are made by Lucasfilm, after all), like pictures of two Star Wars droids in a Indy movie). It’s called implying. I’m being logical. If you say Star Wars and E.T. Extra-Terrestrial, so that’s not true. People are into shared universes these days, like the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That’s what I see. 
2. I would hope for canonization contests, like a look for Phantom and Triglax. I always wonder what do certain characters like these and objects look like. It would have been nice if we had more graphic novels in 2001-2008, too. Helryx and Artakha look good, too. 
3. Why not make new molds? Maybe with Mixels-equse building system (not with short limbs. Just act like constraction)? 

Just saying.

1. Looking at your suggestion, I wouldn't mind them being in the same universe but on different planets (even if I disagree with Hero Factory taking place on earth). One of the major problems with this is Bionicle G1, and how LEGO doesn't want to come back to that story. G1's popularity declined because kids couldn't get into the over complicated story, so I'm not sure if LEGO would come back to that story. As for Greg, I'm not sure if he'd do it. If you look at his track record of defining what's canon, he has a very "me first!" mentality, making decisions that contradict previous things before he was story lead, and straight up decanonizing entire books by other writers. Since he already stated that HF and Bionicle are separate, I'm not sure if he'd go back on his decision.

2. I also want more canonization contests. I'm just saying the current ones over on TTV are probably not going to be ending this year. And as for Phantom, I don't want a canonization contest for Phantom. If you look up Phantom on TTV, the actual creator of Phantom has resurfaced with evidence that they actually won the OG Dark Hunter contest for Phantom, but there was a problem with sending the pictures. So now they're trying to write a letter to Greg about it and see if they can get him canonized like it was supposed to be. The reason I think Greg could agree to this unlike in the point above is that Greg actually based Phantom's description on the photos.

3. I'm not sure how receptive the Bionicle community would be to it. If you look at the system Bionicle sets that existed, they didn't really like them. They also didn't really like CCBS (an amazing system they really missed out on). I'm all for new building systems for Bionicle, but I'm not sure if it will be popular among the community.

Well, anything with the Lego themes can happen. It’s just that Lego and Greg seem to not do anything with Bionicle or Hero Factory (but I hope they would come up with something this summer for constraction’s sake, and I bet Lego and Greg would just do re-continuations for Bionicle G1, Hero Factory, and a crossover that looks back at some stuff for nostalgia, like how Samurai Jack’s Season 5 in 2017 was referencing the other 4 seasons and Hey Arnold’s Jungle Movie in 2017 did the same thing when it was looking back at the TV show as a well (well, they could pretend these memories were just flashbacks that were never episodes, but they are really episodes, so no fan was complaining. It’s probably a compromise in terms of long stories). Both went well, and these franchises are popular, so that’s why people demanded re-continuations and real endings). Bionicle is popular, so that could happen for the themes’ sakes. Many Bionicle fans want them back, you know. 

About Phantom, I see that he was going to be in the Dark Hunter contest. That could be hard, but it could be a good idea to give it another try.

Bionicle G2 didn't sell well. Retailers will be hesitant to buy any more Bionicle sets because of how badly G2 did. This means that the only way that Bionicle would get a continuation is in written form. But LEGO is a toy company, and the main reason they even do books and shows is to sell their toys. If they can't do that, what would be the point to making books? It's just extra resources they could be using on a theme that is actually still being sold. I'm not saying Bionicle will never return, I'm just saying it's probably not going to return in the near future. Like, LEGO had the perfect opportunity to celebrate Bionicle's 20th anniversary with the LEGO Ideas project, and they rejected it for a typewriter, a sitcom set, and the Home Alone house. 

In the end though, I hope I'm wrong about LEGO refusing to do anything for Bionicle's 20th. I saw someone on Reddit calculate that LEGO normally reveals sets ~2 months away from release, so we have until mid-April for anything to be announced. Even if nothing is, I'd be ok with that. Because with the sheer amount of Bionicle fan projects out there, the fans are keeping Bionicle alive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No offense but most of your bucket list seems like a pipe dream. Only 1, 6, 8 and 10 are realistic. 1 may seem difficult but there are plenty of avenues to make it happen *cough (Lego Ideas projects) plus Lego doing something out of the goodness of their corporate heart. 6 is guaranteed, TTV hasn't specified as far as I'm aware when things are going to start up again but that will be a nice ongoing thing to provide stimulus for the community. 8 Is a project, a project with lots of hype and one that seems to have a team who will get it done. 10 I'm not sure but Faber has put off "the project" for a while now, but surely a years time will be enough to release what it is. Also 4 overlaps with 1 so it could happen.

The rest however...how? Why would Greg start the serials up again? Why does Lego have to make a wave of Bionicle and Hero factory sets? Why would they remake some games? Why would Lego in their right mind bring back constraction? I love constraction but I can understand that Lego might want it to rest awhile seeing as it has been anything but popular.

I think the best hope is an Ideas set weather that be from the polls or someone's homebrewed one ;) plus more contests, more fan game updates and maybe a big reveal from Faber.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, Toa Silio said:

Because with the sheer amount of Bionicle fan projects out there, the fans are keeping Bionicle alive.

Idk what the rules are on doubling posting but felt I might as well emphasize this. At the end of the day we don't need Lego. We can always make our own content and own projects :smilematoro:

• Like 2

There was that Lego Ideas vote for Lego’s 90th anniversary, so I hope you guys voted and made good reasons before the vote was closed. The Lego Ideas project will be revealed in 2022, I heard, and I dearly hope that if the project is based on Bionicle and does well, perhaps it could make my wishes in the topic post come true. I hope for all of that, and I kept emailing Lego about it. You guys thinking Bionicle could win?