LEGO Games Go From LDD to Unity

Today the latest episode of the Bits N' Bricks podcast was released, adding to the exploration of journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent into the history of LEGO Games. The main focus of Episode 5 was the recent collaboration with the Unity game engine on the LEGO microgame, which we shared last year, but it also went back to look at some of the interaction LEGO has had with fans, from the LDRAW and MLCAD fan projects to LEGO releasing LEGO Digital Designer and creating the LEGO Factory and Design byME programs. We got to hear once again from Tormod Askildsen and get an inside look at things. I was really interested to hear about 'LDD Pro,' which is apparently the latest version of the program which is still under active development. Go listen and learn for yourself!

View the full article

It was nice to hear about how LDD was originally developed, along with mentions of the earlier sandbox games like Lego Creator (quite a shame it never seemed to work on anything besides a Windows 98 computer). Also pleasantly surprised to hear a quick shout-out to current efforts to revive some old classic games like Lego Island and Bionicle Quest for Mata Nui. But I think the part that got me really excited is the possibility that sometime in the next few years, we might see the introduction of something similar to the Lego Ideas concept on physical sets be utilized for video games. I'm already starting to come up with possible suggestions, so if such a thing does become official, you'd better believe I'll be signing up right away.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.