The Original LEGO Friends

On this week's episode of Bits N' Bricks, journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent talk to Elena Caton about LEGO Friends. No not the LEGO theme that came out in 2012 and introduced the world to minidolls, the PC game from 1999 that was released around the time of LEGO Scala. I know, I didn't know it existed either! You can listen to Episode 7 - LEGO Friends: A Conversation on YouTube or your favorite podcast platform to learn all about one of The LEGO Group's early forays into games and content targeted more directly at girls. It's definitely an enlightening listen!

View the full article

This was a rather short episode and I had time to spare today, so I won't wait until tomorrow to comment as I've done previous weeks. Anyway, this was certainly quite informative about the efforts Lego made in the late 90s to reach the girls market, not just with physical toys (literally all I had known previously was there was this thing for girls called Scala that didn't last long) but also with the PC game from 1999 (which I had honestly never heard of before). Also interesting was that mention about how when the modern Friends theme was introduced in 2012 that there was controversy about having such a gender-focused theme (I certainly remember hearing about that back then), so the fact that it's still thriving to this day shows that they eventually managed to get some things right regarding the subject matter.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.