Matoran left behind on Metru Nui prior to the Great Cataclysm?

In its heyday, Metru Nui was known to have its shady Matoran who had to be dealt with by Vahki. When Teridax, disguised as Dume, called every Matoran to the Coliseum to be stuffed into Matoran Spheres, could there have been some such Matoran who refused, and then somehow escaped the Vahki (most of whom were too busy marshalling Matoran in the centre of the city) and gone into hiding?

If so, how do you think they would have managed over the 1,000 years thereafter?

Odds are slim that any would've survived, especially after the island's invasion by Visorak, but until then I could've seen them becoming looters, claiming whatever was left behind for their own, under the delusion they could live freely and prosperously without being pressured by Vahki or Toa. Even during and after the Visorak invasion, some may have adapted and learned to survive in hiding, possibly in an abandoned section of the Archives.

What do you think?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

1 hour ago, Makuta_of_Oz said:

Odds are slim that any would've survived, especially after the island's invasion by Visorak, but until then I could've seen them becoming looters, claiming whatever was left behind for their own, under the delusion they could live freely and prosperously without being pressured by Vahki or Toa. Even during and after the Visorak invasion, some may have adapted and learned to survive in hiding, possibly in an abandoned section of the Archives.

I agree that the Visorak would be harder to survive than the doompods (Dume-pods?) and the subsequent Cataclysm. However, given the totality of desolation of Metru Nui, especially after the Toa Metru took the rest of the population to the island above, I'm not sure a life of crime in the ruined city would be viable. Because, 1) who's left to brand you a criminal? (counterpoint, leftover Vahki, possibly). What crime would there be left to perpetrate if society itself is taken out of the equation? Very little, if any, I'd think. 2) if Dume, the real Dume, the Rahaga, and Keetongu were out and about, I think they'd eventually bring any recalcitrant, leftover Matoran back into the fold, so to speak. If not total rehabilitation (alignment with the three virtues, for sake of the hypothetical), then at least a mutual understanding that working to rebuild the ruined city is in everybody's best interest. 

As for the question of physiological survival, I'd guess they'd have to resort to hunting/gathering? Unless they could get the power back up to run the Matoran feeding point? 

Were I one of these theoretical Matoran, I would have either tried to stow away on the airships to Mata Nui, or tried to emigrate, one way or another, to other lands. Probably the Northern or Southern Continent. 

Really great hypothetical! 

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

• 1 month later...

It could be possible. I bet they would have fled the city, though, and started new lives in the Northern or Southern Continents. Then again, Greg confirmed that every Matoran on Metru Nui (besides Ahkmou) was rescued.

f3e4ec1d8a[1].png

Edited by Lorentz

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:11 PM, Alexander123 said:

On a similar note did any Vahki survive the Visorak invasion? I think it would be interesting to see some schizophrenic Vahki trying to enforce order in a deserted, abandoned, and overgrown city.

Probably. I bet the Toa Mahri took out the last of them during the 2008 storyline.

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, Makuta_of_Oz said:

In its heyday, Metru Nui was known to have its shady Matoran who had to be dealt with by Vahki. When Teridax, disguised as Dume, called every Matoran to the Coliseum to be stuffed into Matoran Spheres, could there have been some such Matoran who refused, and then somehow escaped the Vahki (most of whom were too busy marshalling Matoran in the centre of the city) and gone into hiding?

If so, how do you think they would have managed over the 1,000 years thereafter?

What do you think?

There was Mavrah.

He died.

And if there were any others like him, they probably starved to death or some Rahi killed them.

The one key thing that would have helped if they could survive the Visorak is eventually the real Dume, the six Rahaga and Keetongu all stayed in the city. So if any stragglers were left behind likely Dume et. al. found them and lead them. Its a hard survival, but if Dume's crew could survive 1000 years in the city its likely they could have preserved any Matoran that were also left behind. Another possibility is the trader caravans and travelers who might not have been in Metru-Nui during the Cataclysm, but made their way there after the Great Spirit fell asleep. There certainly seems to be the possibility that some Turaga in one of the continents down "south" would have arranged an expedition of Toa and Matoran explorers to travel to Metru-Nui and determine what happened to it after the cataclysm had occurred, seeing that Metru-Nui was such a major trade center. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

21 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

Another possibility is the trader caravans and travelers who might not have been in Metru-Nui during the Cataclysm, but made their way there after the Great Spirit fell asleep.

Doubtful. Makuta sealed off most of the exits and entrances to Metru Nui shortly after impersonating Dume, and he probably recalled any traders first.