The History of TT Games and LEGO

It's Wednesday, which means the day after we play some LEGO videogames, we get to learn about them! In Bits N' Bricks Episode 9, journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent address the elephant in the room of brick gaming: TT Games. Since 2005 they have released at least one title every year until COVID-19 put an end to the streak in 2020, and on BZPower we've certainly capitalized on that with our streams. The gameplay and sense of humor are iconic, and it's great to go behind the curtain and hear from several of the founders of the studio about how it all happened. Go give it a listen and see what you can learn!

View the full article

Yeah, this was definitely my favorite episode of all in this series. Amazing to think this entire genre of video games all started with the simple imagination of what a Jedi with the Force could do if he played with Lego bricks. Since I've memorized every one of these games in chronological order, I was quite delighted as they listed off a vast majority of the games they made, starting with Star Wars and moving on to Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, and Marvel, followed by "experimental" games like Dimensions and Worlds alongside more of the traditional games like Jurassic World, Avengers, and Incredibles, all leading up to the anticipation that Star Wars Skywalker Saga is expected to be so unlike any other Lego game we've previously seen, practically to the point of being seen as the start of a whole new era in Lego games. I'm a little disappointed by the complete absence of certain titles like Lego Movie, Ninjago, and especially Bionicle Heroes (which also being a TT Games release in the early years, you'd expect at least some mention about it, but apparently not). Though I was amused by how City Undercover was brought up as an example of how some ideas are rejected for being too extreme for Lego (in this case, all the civilians turning into zombies for some "bonus level"). And while it's certainly notable that 2020 is the first year since the beginning to not have a new Lego game released, I personally welcomed it as an opportunity to finally get caught up on everything and then be able to take a break from it for a while. As much as I'm looking forward to eventually playing Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga, I'll most likely hold off on it for some time before I feel ready to try it out.

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

It's Wednesday again, which means the next new episode is out. I don't have time to check it out tonight, so I'll wait until tomorrow to post my thoughts (by which point I'm hoping there will be news and a talkback topic about it).

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.