Why does Tuma call the Ignika a "mask"?

Max_Nui

In the Legend Reborn, just before Tuma fights Mata Nui he tells him, "I'm going to enjoy tearing that fancy mask from your face."

Now, I know of many other discrepancies included in the lackluster film, but I was wondering if you guys could come up with a canon reason why Tuma would have said 'mask' instead of 'helmet' like most Bara Magnians would. Did he recognize some semblance of the kanohi from the remains of the Great Beings? Who knows?

Edited by fabSheers
correction

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

He just guessed correctly based design. many glatorian like certavus, ackar vastus, beerus and metus have visible mouths. While others like Skralls, Malum Stronius Gresh and Mata Nui wear masks that covered  the mouth always. And since Mata Nui is considered a gold colored character then Tuma had a reason for calling it fancy.

But he wouldn't have succeeded, after all the Kanohi Ignika has a will of it's own and causes random curses on those who it deems are unworthy and not destined to use it.

It might be the most lackluster explanation, but well its a mask. Its not like the concept of a mask is exclusive to Bionicle since its very much a real world item. So its likely Tuma just recognized it indeed as well, a mask. Even the concept of mask of power isn't unique to Bionicle either, just look at The Mask with Jim Carrey, or the Dragon Priests in Elder Scrolls. 

Now if Tuma had called it a Kanohi, then I'd have plothole questions. Kanohi is a term that well specific to masks of power in the Matoran Universe, and one that I would gather Tuma would have been unlikely very familiar with. 

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

6 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

It might be the most lackluster explanation, but well its a mask. Its not like the concept of a mask is exclusive to Bionicle since its very much a real world item. So its likely Tuma just recognized it indeed as well, a mask. Even the concept of mask of power isn't unique to Bionicle either, just look at The Mask with Jim Carrey, or the Dragon Priests in Elder Scrolls. 

Now if Tuma had called it a Kanohi, then I'd have plothole questions. Kanohi is a term that well specific to masks of power in the Matoran Universe, and one that I would gather Tuma would have been unlikely very familiar with. 

But then again, "kanohi" is allegedly just the Matoran word for "mask." But then we end up back with the "the vahki is the will of Mata Nui" problem.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

All in all, probably has to do with how the Ignika is designed. It's hard to tell in the sets because when worn my Mata Nui it appears to sit atop his head like a helmet. However masks actually attach to the front of the users face, so design wise, the entire back of the head would be exposed (for example Toa Ignika).

The glatorian helmets would follow the approach of sitting atop their heads (easy ways to see this are Berix, Malum, and the Vorox's helmets.

All this to say, it probably looked more like a mask than a helmet to Tuma. :)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

7 hours ago, Bambi said:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the writers just slipped up? :P

Or they decided that actually speaking the words "fancy helmet" didn't quite roll off the tongue as well as "fancy mask," which makes sense. For one thing, the "A" in both words is pronounced more or less the same, and the following "C" and "S," respectively, produce the same sound, where "helmet" shares nothing in common with the sound of "fancy." So you end up with "fAn[S]y mASk" which sounds nicer and is more comfortable to pronounce.
Just try saying "fancy helmet" out loud and let me know how ugly it sounds to you. :P 

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Well, in 2009, the Mask of Life was designed to be a Glatorian helmet kind of mold. It’s quite interesting that Tuma calls it a mask because it is a mask. How did he know? That surprised me, but he would think about this: 

Glatorian helmets that don’t cover their wearers’ mouths are called helmets, and those helmets that do are called masks. Ask Spider-Man and Star-Lord from Marvel about it. 

I believe that that’s why he called Mata Nui’s mask a mask because it covered Mata Nui’s face and mouth. He didn’t know what a Kanohi mask is, but he made an educated guess over there just because he wanted to fight Mata Nui over there. Lol.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)