The Inside Story of LEGO Universe

It's Wednesday, which means a new episode of the Bits N' Bricks podcast is here! The subject for this week's chapter is the much-loved LEGO Universe MMO, and there's so much to discuss that this installment is only part one! Listen to journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent talk about the origins of NetDevil, how they came to work on LEGO Universe, and some of the early problems that cropped up during its development. It's a pretty fascinating look behind the scenes at a game that, in some ways, was doomed to fail from the beginning. You can check out Episode 11 - LEGO Universe: Birth of an Idea on your preferred podcast platform or on the LEGO Games YouTube channel. I'm looking forward to next week's episode already!

View the full article

First of all, please correct this piece of news to say Lego Universe, not Lego Dimensions.

Anyway, it was certainly interesting to hear just how much effort went into the initial development for such a massive game that, at first, hardly anybody could say for sure what it would be all about. Quite notable was just how unusual it was that this game had no specific theme or product to directly tie into and was instead its own completely original thing. It was also remarkable how much effort was entirely dedicated just to making the game child-safe. Really, there's so much going on that it's no wonder this subject has been split into a two-part episode. I look forward to next week's episode to find out why exactly Lego Universe was ultimately shut down.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

9 hours ago, Chronicler06 said:

First of all, please correct this piece of news to say Lego Universe, not Lego Dimensions.

Anyway, it was certainly interesting to hear just how much effort went into the initial development for such a massive game that, at first, hardly anybody could say for sure what it would be all about. Quite notable was just how unusual it was that this game had no specific theme or product to directly tie into and was instead its own completely original thing. It was also remarkable how much effort was entirely dedicated just to making the game child-safe. Really, there's so much going on that it's no wonder this subject has been split into a two-part episode. I look forward to next week's episode to find out why exactly Lego Universe was ultimately shut down.

I wish Lego Dimensions can be acknowledged somehow, though. I mean, it’s a good console video game, too. :(

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

• Black Six changed the title to The Inside Story of LEGO Universe