Happy 10th anniversary, Lego Universe!

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. Since yesterday was the day where Lego Universe’s, an online game, 10th anniversary was celebrated by showing the soundtrack, let’s celebrate the game’s anniversary because it is a good game and it’s a game that everyone wanted to play. The game came out on 2011. It’s basically where you customize a mini-figure character and then fight evil. Ninjago got involved when it was released on 2011, too. I must say, I really wanted to play the game, despite me having not done it when it came out. I was busy with stuff, and it’s a pity that it lasted for a year. Pitiful. :( 

It did have a legacy, where Legends of Chima had its own multi-player online game in 2013-2014. 

Boy, if Bionicle and Hero Factory get this treatment, that would be cool. It would be called “Bionicle Universe”, where it involves action figures. :) 

Anyway, happy anniversary, game! :D

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Old LU. I had quite a connection to that game. I was a beta tester and still have my pre order copy to this day. I played it nearly everyday throughout 2011. It was fantastic for what it was. In 2010 the main online game offerings for kids consisted of flash games like club penguin and bin weevils. Whilst these games were fun in their own way, they never allowed for those deep role playing elements that so many other MMOs at the time did. Mind you, those MMOs usually weren't meant for children and thus most kids of the 2000s were stuck with flash games. Lego Universe did something truly unique by taking that more complex style of gameplay and aiming it at kids. The game provided a much softer version of the RPG elements missing from other games on the market at the time. The game however suffered from issues of repetitiveness and a lack of story. New worlds came out at too slow a pace to provide enough content. However I stuck around for the combat. The combat system was really fun. You had a multitude of weapons to choose from and special moves that came with your faction kit. It was a blast having all these creative ways to kill enemies. Too bad Lego never learned from this and incorporated it into their modern games. 

However I can't help but feel like the game would have died anyway for the simple reason that it was kinda dated by the time it came out. Let me explain what I mean by that. The game got its full launch in October of 2010 and was made due to the MMO craze of the 2000s. Everyone had one. Even Lego's biggest rival, mega bloks, had flash MMOs on their website. Lego just had to get into the scene. The game was originally slated for 2008 but got delayed by two whole years. By the time it released the MMO craze was in its very last days which gave them very little time to make a profit out of it. Couple that with the fact that it came out just months before smartphones and social media became mainstream which in turn killed the MMO craze. If Lego had choosen to continue it beyond 2012 it would probably have died by 2014. Not only was it dated in terms of the demands of the market but it also suffered from a problem that many pre-2010s games suffered from. That was large amounts of incompatibility on PCs. PC games in the 90s and 2000s were often very sensitive to what parts and OS you had on your computer. It's not like today where you can have a GTX 970 and run just about anything. If the box said (intel pentium core 3) you had to have that component or a very limited number of other components which were equivalent. Lego universe did not run well on consumer grade PCs from 2008 (and this was a game released in 2010). Simply put it was just too much of a product of the 2000s to have lasted all that long.

But overall I had a lot of fun on that game and I hope one of those private servers releases soon so I can play it again.

It's time to move on.

I had a good bit of fun with this game back in the day, but even as someone who was into MMOs, I was already old enough at 13 that it was competing with World of Warcraft for a money and time subscription from me. And well, WoW usually won out. Plus there was little enough content that I didn't feel like I was missing much by only playing for one month every few. I liked what was there, but there just wasn't enough to hold my interest for long.