The Life of Legoland Models

Random question: does anyone know what they do with the large brick-built character models from the LEGOLAND parks, when they've finished with them?

I know the models are glued (I may have tried to prise bricks off a few of them as a kid, just out of curiosity, with no success :P), so I doubt they can just take them apart for use in subsequent models; and on top of which, the bricks are probably quite faded after several years in the sun, too. I know some of the models are re-purposed - for example, in the Windsor park, the brick-built Rock Raiders characters from the Rocket Racers attraction queue area were added to the Extreme Team Challenge waterway when Rocket Racers shut down; and the life-size Darth Vader and R2-D2 from 1999 kept showing up in different places around the park for years afterwards - but what about the rest? I have a hard time believing that Lego would melt down their precious bricks, even for reuse, so... do they keep the old models in storage somewhere? Are they sold to collectors? Does anyone know?

I just thought to wonder about it today, and it made me really curious about what had happened to some of my childhood favourites from the park.

And on a non-brick-built note, I do wonder whatever happened to that life-size Onua model, too...

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi
  • Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

We know what happened to one of them.

(I know it's not an official lifesize LEGO model, but it's the first thing I thought of.)

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!