The Evolution of Darwin

My favorite thing about Wednesdays for the past few months has been new episodes of the Bits N' Bricks podcast. This week journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent go back to the very beginning of digital LEGO bricks: Special Project Unit Darwin. What started out as a small group independently making the first digital LEGO movie became a division within The LEGO Group that housed one of the largest computing centers in Europe for a time. Go listen to Episode 16 on YouTube or your favorite podcast platform to hear the fascinating story! If you'd like to actually see the movie they talk about, I tracked it down on Alex Furer's blog: Animagica - The LEGO Movie. Another great site I came across was Julian Gomez' LEGO Darwin, which recounts his recollection of events.

View the full article

There were certainly some very interesting things to hear about. Amazing to think that it all started with the idea way back in the mid 90s to make digital 3D models of Lego parts and even making the models animated. The whole project itself sure was quite ambitious with what they intended to accomplish, which ultimately proved to be just a little too ahead of its time to be really given the chance it deserved. But what I found most remarkable was that for this episode, they actually managed to interview Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen himself, and he talked about how fascinated he was with what such technology at the time had to offer for the Lego system. Overall, quite some interesting history to learn about.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.