The Next Generation Of Kids

Protohuman

:kaukau: Wrack'n'Ruin is right. If you look hard you'll find Plato complaining about it. My mother had to research some guy from the Medieval Age who was complaining about the next generation. You keep on looking and you'll keep on finding people from any given year in history complaining about the next generation. If all the complaints were any indication of our actualy reality, then mankind would be finished.I've said it earlier, too, that things just change. Social demographics, the economy, world power, and especially technology are all changing. The kids of this generation are used to cell phones with more computing power than the computers that landed man on the moon when I had an old bulky computer from 1990 that could only run a few programs. I was introduced to Wikipedia when I was a teenager, my children will always have it. Kindles are actually becoming popular. Social networking sites are huge now and people keep on talking about something called Twitter. A child born today is not going to have the same experience as a youth as we, our parents, and our parents' parents did when we were all youth, whether that be for good or ill (and it can really go either direction, depending on the individual). I'm sure that 18 year from now some young adult born in 2012 will still have some very fond and touching memories of their childhood that are just as meaningful as a childhood experience in the 1990's.I've also said earlier that I started out in a school full of bullies and I myself was a bully, yet somehow we all grew up and became very decent people.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh Edited by Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

No, this is a great point. I don't feel that society as a whole is going downhill, but I do feel that there are some disturbing trends now. I think we are encountering a new way of communicating and there are unfortunately rough spots along the way. I feel that the new media, more than anything has the potential to take time away from parents that the could be spending with their kids. My mother sure spends a lot of time on her iPad (probably not as much time as I spend on my computer, but a lot), but fortunately my brother and I are both at the age where we no longer need supervision.

I'd like to point out yet again that the amount of time parents spend with children has been increasing, there may be a tiny dip here or there in your experience or others' due to iPads or computer games, but there really is an overall trend toward more family togetherness (even including the extremely busy schedules of many modern parents).But anyway, I totally agree with all of the taste stuff.Oh, and one more thing, ADHD is currently diagnosed a lot, bordering on over-diagnosis, and it's not exactly a good idea to try to assign a disorder to someone whom one hardly knows.~ BioGio
I think we talked about this in my Education in America class. In the old days, children were basically given the freedom to run around and get dirty, and learn the hard way as long as they don't get sent to jail. Now, there is a huge emphasis on education and enrichment and supervision. It's an interesting trend, and I'm not sure if it's good or bad. It's probably a bit of both. Edited by Yukiko

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

bLSFh.gif ylbon.gif KqsNO.gif zHdXI.gif CIPdo.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

People have been complaining about the next generation since the stone age. Things always work out, but they also change.

That really depends on your definition of "work out", and what you are referring to by "things"...~QMark
"Things" - anything that is or may become an object of thought, in this instance referring to issues pertaining to the state of society."Work out" - basically meaning that no, it really isn't all that likely that the current crop of children are going to make society die screaming because they text or play X-Box or whatever.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

People have been complaining about the next generation since the stone age. Things always work out, but they also change.

Without a goal to aspire towards (for example, proving adults that we aren't all mindless video game zombies :P), today's generation won't get better. The challenge children live to meet is as important a part of growing up as their education and social interactions. Obviously, we don't want children thinking their generation is the dumbest, but we should want them at least being aware of former living standards so they know what they're being judged against.

Today, I had to give up FOOD to some brat. I was tempted to do something, but my mom was standing there. Luckily, there was extra food for me. But not only did that &*%$# forget to thank me, but I am STILL downright furious!

You poor person. You gave your food away and now you are a malnourished scurvy-afflicted child. WE MUST END HUNGER FOR IN MIDDLE CLASS FIRST WORLD NATIONSAlso, big deal.

Without a goal to aspire towards (for example, proving adults that we aren't all mindless video game zombies :P), today's generation won't get better. The challenge children live to meet is as important a part of growing up as their education and social interactions. Obviously, we don't want children thinking their generation is the dumbest, but we should want them at least being aware of former living standards so they know what they're being judged against.
I don't remember having any generational goal to work towards when I was a kid. Everyone's got their own individual goals, stop being a worry-wart.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

"Things" - anything that is or may become an object of thought, in this instance referring to issues pertaining to the state of society."Work out" - basically meaning that no, it really isn't all that likely that the current crop of children are going to make society die screaming because they text or play X-Box or whatever.

That's quite a specific meaning to be derived from such vague wording. It's almost as if you're not the same person who wrote that...

Obviously, we don't want children thinking their generation is the dumbest, but we should want them at least being aware of former living standards so they know what they're being judged against.

I don't really get that, actually. Far more important would be helping them to comprehend the world around them in the present -- understanding life in the now. Not only would that fit them to face up to today's standards, that would put them in the position of being able to use their understanding to question those standards at their leisure (well, when they're older maybe). And teaching them about the past can be a useful tool to achieve those ends (as another contrasting facet of life), but I don't see there being any past standards that kids really need to be judged against. Kids should be taught to form their own standards as individuals.

What's wrong with looking at memes all day?

Becoming the sort of person who uses memes all day.

You poor person. You gave your food away and now you are a malnourished scurvy-afflicted child. WE MUST END HUNGER FOR IN MIDDLE CLASS FIRST WORLD NATIONS

Excessive much? I'm not even sure if there was a point in there somewhere. ~QMark Edited by QuestionMark

le-koro_concert.png

Talking Over an Ocean - Hahli and Amaya are best friends.

Today, I had to give up FOOD to some brat. I was tempted to do something, but my mom was standing there. Luckily, there was extra food for me. But not only did that &*%$# forget to thank me, but I am STILL downright furious!

You poor person. You gave your food away and now you are a malnourished scurvy-afflicted child. WE MUST END HUNGER FOR IN MIDDLE CLASS FIRST WORLD NATIONSAlso, big deal.
you're saying you wouldn't be mad if some little kid came up and demanded that you give him some of the food that you payed for to feed yourself?
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

you're saying you wouldn't be mad if some little kid came up and demanded that you give him some of the food that you payed for to feed yourself?
You're assuming that's what happened. With the amount of information provided by the original poster, we really can't assume anything.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

WE MUST END HUNGER FOR IN MIDDLE CLASS FIRST WORLD NATIONS

Mate, not all of us live the American dream or the equivalent of. Some of our families just barely manage to pay the bills. So I'm rather offended by your 'middle class first world' comment; first world nation =/= everyone's got lots of money. The poor are everywhere, regardless of how good the infrastructure is.And it's even more hilarious, considering a lot of first world nations still have problems with feeding everyone.Depending on the situation I'd either be agreeing with your sentiment of so what, or I'd be the exact opposite. If it was just some random twerp who wanted the guy's rightfully bought food, it'd be pretty bad. If it was some starving skinny kid, not so much. Regardless, food is food, and more importantly, food is money you spent. So if the kid really needed it, I'd agree that he should just suck it up. If the kid was some middle class first world citizen as you put it and was being annoying, it'd be pretty annoying yeah.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Bro, you're sixteen. You don't even know what you are going to do with your life. Don't try to separate yourself from others, you're all part of the same throng.

Tumblr: Where facts and logic go to die.

I don't remember having any generational goal to work towards when I was a kid. Everyone's got their own individual goals, stop being a worry-wart.

I don't understand how talking about generational goals counts as being a "worry-wart". Individual goals end up balanced out across the rest of the population, though -- not everyone can become an artist because there aren't enough open jobs in that field, so some will have to switch professions. By a "goal", I mean something simple as parents saying, "We had to live a different way. Some people don't know if the modern way is as good."Maybe it's just me, but without challenges, there's no fun in life.Excuse me if I don't harbor a very positive outlook on modern society. :P

I don't really get that, actually. Far more important would be helping them to comprehend the world around them in the present -- understanding life in the now. Not only would that fit them to face up to today's standards, that would put them in the position of being able to use their understanding to question those standards at their leisure (well, when they're older maybe). And teaching them about the past can be a useful tool to achieve those ends (as another contrasting facet of life), but I don't see there being any past standards that kids really need to be judged against. Kids should be taught to form their own standards as individuals.

Erm, I never defined relative importance. Of course kids should know modern living standards -- I never said they shouldn't -- but knowing how your parents and grandparents grew up can be enlightening. Explanations about how living standards changed would be another good idea if the kid is old enough to understand.

Bro, you're sixteen. You don't even know what you are going to do with your life. Don't try to separate yourself from others, you're all part of the same throng.

There's a difference between knowing what you want to do with your life and what other people want you to do. You need to figure out the difference, don't you?Also, please don't make assumptions, because I actually do have a set plan for the next four years. I'm currently taking a pre-calculus math course at a community college in preparation for majoring in computer science; once I earn an Associate's Degree, I'll transfer to a university, perhaps NJIT; when I earn my Bachelor's, I plan to enter either a video game- or computer programming fields. Meanwhile I'll continue writing, composing music, drawing, graphic designing, and acting and hope that someday I'll get a big break in one of those hobbies.If that doesn't count as having an idea of what I want to do with my life, I don't know what will.One last thing: How am I separating myself from others?P.S. The misunderstanding is happening again. D:

Yeah, I have to agree with LL on this, I've got my future pretty set from here. I'm looking at a masters of mechanical engineering; it's something I'm good at, it's something I like, and it's something I have experience with. For some reason I just don't think I'm cut out to be liberal arts major, so to say sixteen year olds have no sense of where their life is going go is, well, um, odd. I mean, sixteen is typically your junior year of highschool; that's when colleges start to pay real attention to you, and when you have to start making decisions on where to go in your life.Something I don't agree with you, LL, is the shooting the laptop thing. First of all, I have an avoidance to guns to begin with so I might be biased because of that -avoidance; not saying I despise guns, simply that I don't like being around one-, and I'm afraid I haven't gotten around to watching the video, but if the girl was anywhere near the laptop I'd cry foul right there. Guns, in the hands of an untrained person, or even in the hands of a trained person, can guess what, miss their target. Not only that, bullets have been known to ricochet; the man, if shot at the right angle -and these things happen all the time with i--sorry, forgot BZP blocks that word, derps with guns-, the man could of easily put a bullet in his daughter. At which point he wouldn't be the hero of half the internet, he'd probably be tried for reckless behavior if he isn't already. Then if it was indoors, the sound of the bullet itself can cause permanent hearing damage.Yeah, I should probably watch the video before continuing. But seriously, I can just imagine a dozen ways that could of gone wrong, not to mention property damage, or the extreme measures taken. Seriously, if your daughter badmouths you, yell at her, ground her, but don't put a bullet in her computer. That's just... blah. And I thought parents who forced hot sauce down their kid's throats were extreme.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

When I was sixteen, I didn't know exactly what I was doing. Sure I had a vague idea of what I liked, but I didn't know exactly what direction my life was going to take. Now I have a pretty good idea that I'm going to major in International Studies, but I'm not sure. Part of me admires people who have the focus to decide their life when they're sixteen, but part of me wonders: if your so sure, couldn't you miss out on something you love. And at sixteen, who's goals are you really fulfililng?

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And at sixteen, who's goals are you really fulfililng?

If you're suggesting sixteen year olds are just following their parents and/or friend's wishes, I doubt that happens all that often. Most of the men in my family have gone into the military; I have no great love of the military and only plan on going into it if I can't find a job after college. Most of my friends will be doing something like mathematics or language arts or somesuch. I simply like engineering, I'm good at it, and I'm experienced at it, or at least as much as I can be at this age. I just honestly do not see how I might be missing out on something I love by doing something I love.

voidstars.png

'Just' a pistol? A nine millimeter probably won't kill you but it sure doesn't feel good getting shot by one. The dude could of gotten a bullet to a knee -no meme intended- for his trouble. Point blank is even worse for ricochets.Question; was the laptop something he bought for her, or did she buy it with her own money? As if the latter, that's destruction of private property, regardless of whether or not he's her parent.Also, laptops tend to be northward of five hundred dollars. If it was a nice one, north of 1000 dollars. If he bought it, congrats dude, you just lasted anywhere between 500 to 200 thousand dollars. If she bought it, congrats dude, you're a major derp.Of course, this is coming from the guy who'd faint if he ever got five hundred dollars so I'm probably biased.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

I know a pistol can kill you -- I said "just a pistol" in response to your comment about deafening sound. The man had bought the laptop with his own money, so he could do whatever he wanted with it. He does work with computers (I forget -- did he say he was a software engineer?), so I don't think he's dirt-poor, but I do agree that five hundred dollars is no small amount. He also says in the video that his daughter won't get a laptop again until she has enough money to pay him back and buy a laptop herself.

Granted, guns typically aren't as loud as they sound in movies, but a nine millimeter will still give you a good ringing in the ears and some hearing damage. Let's hope he was wearing hearing damage.Me, I just see this as arrogant overkill. Take the laptop away. He works with computers, so just lock it down until she gets her act straight. Don't bloody shoot an extremely valuable piece of equipment. A laptop is typically an investment, with money saved up over several months to buy. Shooting it destroys all that money; it'd be like taking your pay check and firing at it, effectively.

voidstars.png

Now, I haven't watched the video, but on the topic of the laptop-thingie, I think this was both intelligent, and derp-y.Intelligent: He was punishing his daughter in a way that shows he was serious, and what she did was not acceptable. Derp-y: The Laptop's cost. He could have simply tooken away the laptop, deleted her stuff, and took it as his own / sold it. Would have been the same punishment, basicly.

pNNgXax.jpg

If he wants to teach her daughter a lesson by shooting her laptop then that's great for him.I am a little worried that everyone responded to that video with praise. Now everyone thinks that if your child mouths off just put a bullet in one of their prized possessions and you're parent of the year. O_o

Edited by DYLAN the SINKING STAR

^Like.No, that's fine. I'm glad that you know what you love. But I wouldn't advocate a system were we're forced to choose our careers at sixteen. I would have been left at the curb. Call it selfish reasons.

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Heres what I think based on research I did for a school essay lately.Standardized testing (believe it or not) causes stress in children. This unpleaseant experience causes children to dislike learning. They also see many characters on TV who dislike school and learning. Through that similarity, the TV star becomes a role model, and that bad influence causes negative and impulsive behaviors in children.

aouROFb.png

Heres what I think based on [things other people said that looked credible enough for me to cite them].Standardized testing (believe it or not) causes stress in children. This unpleaseant experience causes children to dislike learning. They also see many characters on TV who dislike school and learning. Through that similarity, the TV star becomes a role model, and that bad influence causes negative and impulsive behaviors in children.

Sourcing fixed. There's a difference between looking things up for a school essay and real research. The second one implies that you did the work yourself, while the first is much closer to what students who haven't hit college yet are actually instructed to do.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Before I go on, I will admit that I actually do not know the answer to this question. However, I do not believe that the media is manipulating the kids, I don't think violent video games are to blame and I don't think Bieber or GaGa are to blame. Just think about it: Do you believe everything and anything you see and hear? If I tell you that the Earth is flat, will you believe me just like that? Of course you won't, human beings are critical and skeptic. And children are very skeptical. Haven't you ever seen a kid that asks too many questions? Morals don't come from television or video games, it's naturally inborn. Of course, the outside world affects you and helps you make your mind up, but the human mind isn't a sponge. In other words, it doesn't absorb everything it's exposed to. I think children are brilliant, many of them promising.

Edited by The Change

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

There's a difference between knowing what you want to do with your life and what other people want you to do. You need to figure out the difference, don't you?Also, please don't make assumptions, because I actually do have a set plan for the next four years. I'm currently taking a pre-calculus math course at a community college in preparation for majoring in computer science; once I earn an Associate's Degree, I'll transfer to a university, perhaps NJIT; when I earn my Bachelor's, I plan to enter either a video game- or computer programming fields. Meanwhile I'll continue writing, composing music, drawing, graphic designing, and acting and hope that someday I'll get a big break in one of those hobbies.If that doesn't count as having an idea of what I want to do with my life, I don't know what will.One last thing: How am I separating myself from others?P.S. The misunderstanding is happening again. D:
1. You have to know yourself to know what to say to others. That's the basic foundation of living.2. I'm sure you have it all figured out, til the moment you get into a class you find that you aren't interested in, or you mess something up, or there's an economic recession that ruins the market, or you accidentally get a girl pregnant, or your interests change between here and graduation. Which is very likely indeed, because teenagers are very fast-changing individuals. Who you are, what you want, and what you will become in your mind can be very different in one year's time. And even if you do stick to your dreams, it might be that you simply don't have the ability required. The gaming industry is very fast-growing, but there is a huge deferral rate from a lot of related university courses, simply because it gets past the level that casual people can take. Having hobbies is fine, but as your workload increases towards your educational climax, you're going to start dropping them in favour of study and preparation. Not to mention socializing will start to matter more to you, and your priorities will change again.3. However, I'm not saying don't plan. It's always a good idea to reach for things to do and make plans for the road ahead. But you should always be aware that what you reach for may be surprisingly prickly or too far out of your reach. Trust me, I know. My mother aimed for art in college, ended up doing journalism and becoming a magazine editor. My first goal was history and biological science back in highschool, now I'm doing anthropology and writing in university. A guy I knew back in high school was polished by his parents into a mathematics and science prodigy for college. He is now a crossdressing waitress at a bar in Brisbane. One of my friends who used to be scouted for Basketball teams? He's a mechanic now. 4. My point is that teenagers in general, which you are one, are at a very turbulent and ever-changing point in their development. You may think you are in a position of solidity, safety, and with a clear plan for the future, however that can all change easily in a heartbeat. You will continue to grow and shift as a person, just like everyone else! So don't assume you know the best for others, when your foundation could be totally upheaved in the blink of an eye.

Tumblr: Where facts and logic go to die.

Now, I haven't watched the video, but on the topic of the laptop-thingie, I think this was both intelligent, and derp-y.Intelligent: He was punishing his daughter in a way that shows he was serious, and what she did was not acceptable. Derp-y: The Laptop's cost. He could have simply tooken away the laptop, deleted her stuff, and took it as his own / sold it. Would have been the same punishment, basicly.

you're looking at this as a teenager with no money, i'm assuming.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

In life, the only constant is change.

He is now a crossdressing waitress at a bar in Brisbane.

That sounds epic.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Am I Poplar Yet?: I already know things can change; I've had that fact drummed into my mind enough by my parents. I only said I have a set plan. The execution of that plan is still in question, naturally.Believe me, I also know what it means to change interests: When I was young, I wanted to be an astronomer; a little later and I wanted to be professional baseball player; a little later and I wanted to become an author; and today, I have a different set of interests that I listed above.As you said, just because life is always changing doesn't mean you shouldn't plan. That's my point: There's nothing wrong with having a goal in mind. In fact, that helps you gain more solidity in living, even if the solidity is temporary.I don't see anything wrong in trying to figure out what might be best for others when it's just idle discussion like now. It's not like I'm the president of the U.S. talking about reforming the entire education system; I'm just a teen with some ideas.

Just think about it: Do you believe everything and anything you see and hear? If I tell you that the Earth is flat, will you believe me just like that? Of course you won't, human beings are critical and skeptic. And children are very skeptical. Haven't you ever seen a kid that asks too many questions?

Are they skeptical? There's a difference between being inquisitive and skeptical, after all. I haven't been around many kids in my life, so I don't know how skeptical they usually are. It would strike me as odd if they were, seeing as they're still in a phase where they need to learn from the people around them, and since skepticism seems to require a prior reality bias to judge things against, which a child wouldn't have fully developed yet.Skepticism seems like a learned trait/skill rather than something inherent in everybody... you don't need to be skeptical to not be gullible enough to think the Earth is flat, for example. But I think plenty of people would take a stated fact at face value, if they didn't have prior knowledge and if the stated fact was within a certain degree of ridiculousness. That's how urban myths and pseudo-science facts get around, isn't it?

Of course, the outside world affects you and helps you make your mind up, but the human mind isn't a sponge. In other words, it doesn't absorb everything it's exposed to.

Interestingly, I would say that's exactly what the human mind does, but in a different sense. Of course, we don't go through life agreeing with everything we are taught or believing everything we are told. But even if you don't agree with it, that information still goes into your mind somewhere. Everything is an influence -- it's not like your mind can be on constant surveillance against every tiny influence or tidbit of information either -- but not everything is influential. Drawing the line between the two is where the controversy lies. But to say that the outside world (as opposed to the inside world, I guess??) "affects" you is an understatement to say the least.

I don't see anything wrong in trying to figure out what might be best for others when it's just idle discussion like now. It's not like I'm the president of the U.S. talking about reforming the entire education system; I'm just a teen with some ideas.

That's one of the really nice things about being teenage. ^_^~QMark Edited by QuestionMark

le-koro_concert.png

If he wants to teach her daughter a lesson by shooting her laptop then that's great for him. I am a little worried that everyone responded to that video with praise. Now everyone thinks that if your child mouths off just put a bullet in one of their prized possessions and you're parent of the year. O_o

It was not the first time she did something along that, and she tried to hide it from them. As well as that, he warned her the last time she did it.She complained about how much she had to do, when in comparison to what the dad went through, as well as he said what she actually did, it was almost nothing and covered mosstly messes she made. It was more than "mouthing off", really.And the only lesson wasn't only the shot up laptop.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

One of my problems with that video is that her dad makes a big deal out of how tough he had it, yet what should that matter? How is it up to comparison how hard she has it? That seems unfair to me. If she thinks she has to do too much, isn't that something he ought to have taught her about instead of making what amount to excuses, and furthermore talking down to her about what must seem to be very real issues in her mind? And if she's acting so badly, she's obviously had it too easy -- he himself appears to admit to this -- so whose fault is that? If he knew what it was like to have to do and take more as a kid, why didn't he apply those lessons to her better? And does he mean to imply that he didn't put up a fuss as a kid himself with all the extra stuff he had to deal with?What irks me is that he treated this as a time to punish and ridicule instead of chastise and instruct her. From what I got out of that letter, she seemed more frustrated than just disrespectful for the heck of it -- suffering from ignorance rather than stupidity alone. I find it difficult to believe that her worldview could be so disparate from his if he had actually related to her on a meaningful level, or if she was only bothered by chores. There's a serious disconnection going on between the two of them. This is all basically conjecture, due to the fact that I can't directly know the context of the situation; but it's supported by the fact that he went for putting on a show and making a public spectacle (humiliating her in the process, which I don't approve of in any case) instead of facing her head on. That's a cowardly approach.It's just that I'm a bit skeptical of the "bratty teen" stereotype (that a large number of people commenting elsewhere on the video seem to readily call to attention) wherein the parents (who as part of another stereotype are innocent but overwhelmed) are the only ones capable of rationality and the teen is disruptive and unreasonable just because it's in their nature. Who would want to be that angry or hateful about anything? Although I never acted up much with my parents (none of us did, except when we were just really annoyed about something, but that wasn't usually directed back at them), I know what it's like to feel the constraints of your own worldview closing in on you. Everything seems much bigger than it actually is, and sometimes you try to cope with it in bad ways -- the parent, as a sentinel of the outside world, is the natural and instinctive target. But it's the parents' job to monitor the development and healthiness of that worldview and of their child. The dad failed at that. That's my opinion on it, ill-informed as it is.(God help me if I ever become a father...)~QMark

Edited by QuestionMark

le-koro_concert.png

@QuestionMark I find that you are very intelligent. Apart from your already advanced language, you seem to be very able to reflect and ask different questions from different angle. Along with that, you also seem to be able to articulate what you want to say extremely well. Well articulated, philosophical and intelligent? Date me, Mr. QuestionMark! Anyways, I just wanted to get that out of the way. I really wish I could follow up with some incredible insight, but you see, this is one of the few times in my life when I've entered a discussion without being really stubborn in regards to what I think or the way I feel about the issue at hand. In fact, I'm in here only to watch and learn from you guys. A lot of you only know me as "the troll" or an incredibly mean and argumentative person, but right now, I just want to sit and watch as all the different perspectives come up (and QuestionMark really has some good points *wink*). From what I'm thinking, I think that most kids will grow up. I know I had some ridiculous stances on a lot of things as a kid (but certainly not as many as most other people do and still have), but as of right now, most of those stances have been reconsidered and fleshed out or changed. It's part of growing up. Life is all about learning and passing on that knowledge. Growing up is all about what your priorities are. If you manage to successfully combine those two, you are one heck of a strong and intellectual human being.

Edited by The Change

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

@The ChangeThank you very much! I appreciate you saying that, as looking at different perspectives is something that concerns me when participating in these types of discussions. It's nice to know I'm actually getting a point across when I do that. On the other hand, if you heard me speak in real life you would find that I am one of the most clumsily worded people you could ever meet -- it helps being able to choose your words as carefully as you wish to, heheh. But thank you. ^_^I agree with you that most kids grow up. I too had some wonky ideas when I was younger, and I was stubborn about it as well. Getting older and working on putting things into perspective has certainly mellowed me out compared to the days when I would take an idea, no matter where I got it from, and run with it without actually getting anywhere. Although, the excitement of finding and incorporating a new concept is still there, and maybe (hopefully) always will be, since like you said we're always learning. I think, as I'm sure others have, that the quality of receiving everything like it's brand new is something else that defines the experience of childhood. Even though we mature and have much to gain by that process, we can never really have a fresh start again; so it's something to cherish, and treat seriously if you're a parent or teacher.~QMark

Edited by QuestionMark

le-koro_concert.png