Jump to content
Zidonaro

Why is Keetongu considered a Rahi?

Recommended Posts

Really, why? He has a humanoid shape, walks on two legs, super intelligent, able to speak his own language, can use tools, can communicate with Matoran if there's a translator availabe, and even uses Tahtorak as steeds. He's as smart as a Skakdi or a Vortixx.

Edited by Zidonaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically, Matoran are kinda speciesist? 

According to canon, the word rahi literally translates to "not us" in the Matoran language. So it can be applied to absolutely any other creature or species. 


___________________________________________________

Legends Don't Last Forever

___________________________________________________

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Keetongu's species were created by the Makuta out of viruses and liquid protodermis. That's probably the most objective definiton of Rahi we'll get, even if some (like Crystal Serpents and Protodax) do not fit that description.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget our big orange boi made the cover of a dark hunters book

  • Like 1

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Master Inika said:

I wonder if Keetongu's species were created by the Makuta out of viruses and liquid protodermis. That's probably the most objective definiton of Rahi we'll get, even if some (like Crystal Serpents and Protodax) do not fit that description.

That is my thoughts too, some Makuta created Keetongu perhaps as a purposeful anti-dote to the Visorak. Then when the Makuta turned evil they hunted down his species.

  • Like 1

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gecko Greavesy said:

Basically, Matoran are kinda speciesist? 

According to canon, the word rahi literally translates to "not us" in the Matoran language. So it can be applied to absolutely any other creature or species. 

Would Krana, Kraata and Makuta count as Rahi too then?

Edited by Sir Kohran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

That is my thoughts too, some Makuta created Keetongu perhaps as a purposeful anti-dote to the Visorak. Then when the Makuta turned evil they hunted down his species.

That's a really cool headcanon. This does presume that Keetongu's species were created after or alongside the Visorak. For some reason I assumed his species would have been older.

4 hours ago, Sir Kohran said:

Would Krana, Kraata and Makuta count as Rahi too then?

According to BS01, Matoran consider Krana and Kraata (and even Shadow Leeches) to be Rahi, "even though they are not", but not Makuta. It raises some really interesting questions about epistemology--how can Matoran identify something as a Rahi and be wrong? Since the definition is already so subjective, isn't anything Matoran consider Rahi technically one?

  • Like 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 6:37 AM, TuragaNuva said:

Well, technically that was Triglax.

"oops" -Lego

But yeah, it is kind of a weird subject. Matoran definitely see krana as rahi, which I can see in their mind, and especially since the queens are rahi. Kraata is a weird though because I always veiwed them as 'extensions' of Makuta...I wouldn't necessarily call that a rahi, but I honestly don't know what I would classify it. Kind of like Makuta now has his own 'species', for lack of a better term. 

12 hours ago, Master Inika said:

epistemology--how can Matoran identify something as a Rahi and be wrong? Since the definition is already so subjective, isn't anything Matoran consider Rahi technically one?

Good point though, I guess it depends on who is defining things and the matter of perspective. Especially since the games were from the matorans' perspective


:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Humble_Matoran said:

"oops" -Lego

But yeah, it is kind of a weird subject. Matoran definitely see krana as rahi, which I can see in their mind, and especially since the queens are rahi. Kraata is a weird though because I always veiwed them as 'extensions' of Makuta...I wouldn't necessarily call that a rahi, but I honestly don't know what I would classify it. Kind of like Makuta now has his own 'species', for lack of a better term. 

Good point though, I guess it depends on who is defining things and the matter of perspective. Especially since the games were from the matorans' perspective

According to BS01, even the Bahrag are in that not-Rahi-but-considered-Rahi-by-Matoran category.

Rahi are, to us, a type of fauna in a fictional LEGO franchise. For us to disagree with the characters in the fictional franchise about what is a Rahi creates a weird objective definition for something that we know it's real. Imagine if Pikachu wasn't really a Pokémon--Ash Ketchum and Professor Oak just erroneously thought he was.


"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering about that, too. Don’t forget Krahka the shape-shifting Rahi and the Tahtorak the giant green lizard Rahi. They are intelligent, too.


I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

I am wondering about that, too. Don’t forget Krahka the shape-shifting Rahi and the Tahtorak the giant green lizard Rahi. They are intelligent, too.

Tahtorak has more of a beast/dragon shape and can barely speak Matoran, so I can understand why he is considered a Rahi. But yes, I wouldn't consider Krahka a Rahi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you watch Godzilla vs. Kong? Kong walks on two legs, uses tools, intelligently strategizes and even communicates through sign language. But at the end of the day, he's still a giant ape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Disciple said:

Did you watch Godzilla vs. Kong? Kong walks on two legs, uses tools, intelligently strategizes and even communicates through sign language. But at the end of the day, he's still a giant ape. 

He can't speak. Keetongu even has his own complex language. I think we would have to see if his species had an advanced civilization built with cities and the likes, but since all his members were wiped out, we can't.

Edited by Zidonaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...