Bits N' Bricks Heads to the Top

It's Wednesday, which means a new episode of the Bits N' Bricks podcast has released. There's not a lot of specific videogame discussion, but that's okay because journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent got to sit down (virtually) with Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen and Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, two names in LEGO history that hopefully need no introduction. It was great to hear how Kjeld's background as a hobbyist programmer influenced the company's early forays into technology, and Jorgen was amazingly transparent about mistakes made around LEGO Universe and other decisions during his tenure as CEO. Here's hoping that experience leads to a future of more awesome LEGO games! Go listen to Episode 18 - A Fabled History on the LEGO Games YouTube channel or your preferred podcast platform today! Word is that next week they'll be discussing the future of the show, which I look forward to learning about!

View the full article

It was indeed very interesting to listen to the perspectives of those two big names in Lego regarding the development of digital play over the years and decades. I learned quite a few interesting things, like how the Lego Movie probably became successful in part perhaps because the Lego Company had learned from the mistakes of getting too deeply involved in the development of Lego Universe. I also found it quite fascinating that not only was Kjeld so passionate about programing since the 1970s, but also that he continues to build Lego sets (including some of the really big ones) to this day. I have to say, this was definitely one of my favorite episodes of this entire series, thus far.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.