LEGO Masters Season 2 Premiers Tonight

Just watched the new episode recently. I won't reveal who excelled and who struggled, but I will say that I've already got a few favorites among the teams, and I certainly liked the build challenge featured in this episode.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

So last week's episode was about building a parade float, and this week's episode was about creating a scene for an action hero style dramatic explosion. Many of the builds were impressive, while some failed to deliver, and one team became the first one to be eliminated.

Edited by Chronicler06

This week's episode is probably my favorite of the season so far, as it featured the challenge of building a tall tower to see how long it can resist collapsing on an earthquake table. Quite a lot of interesting techniques were used in these builds, some of which ended up with rather surprising results.

For this week's episode, the teams had to build a wearable hat as part of a fashion show. Hardly something that would normally interest me, though many of the builds were certainly quite interesting. Overall, this challenge ended with some surprise winners and some surprise losers.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's episode featured a rather interesting build challenge where the base of the build is a single Technic beam suspended by a wire, with the teams free to build anything they wanted from that rather unconventional starting point. Quite a lot of interesting "floating" creations. (I also really like when some of the presentations of completed builds are enhanced with stop-motion animations, to make the portrayed stories more dynamic and amusing.)

Also, for those of you who prefer to watch these episodes later rather than live, I sure hope you get to see what was shown during the majority of the first commercial break during the live version, which showed Boone from Season 1 receiving a call from Bugs Bunny prompting him to build full-sized Lego models of a basketball, hoop, and backboard, which then gets obliterated by Tweety doing a slam dunk, which then leads to a promotional of the upcoming Space Jam movie. (And yes, Boone did sing a brief song during the build.) If you don't see this short video in whatever way you later watch this episode, then I sure hope someone was able to record it from the live showing and posted it online so all of us could see it. (I'm also curious to hear from Boone himself about how he got involved in such a silly promotional.)

On 7/7/2021 at 3:10 AM, Chronicler06 said:

Also, for those of you who prefer to watch these episodes later rather than live, I sure hope you get to see what was shown during the majority of the first commercial break during the live version, which showed Boone from Season 1 receiving a call from Bugs Bunny prompting him to build full-sized Lego models of a basketball, hoop, and backboard, which then gets obliterated by Tweety doing a slam dunk, which then leads to a promotional of the upcoming Space Jam movie. (And yes, Boone did sing a brief song during the build.) If you don't see this short video in whatever way you later watch this episode, then I sure hope someone was able to record it from the live showing and posted it online so all of us could see it. (I'm also curious to hear from Boone himself about how he got involved in such a silly promotional.)

Thank you for mentioning this, because I definitely didn't see it when I watched the episode later.

I'm guessing/hoping this is what you were talking about:

Edited by Black Six

Yes, that video is exactly what I saw in the live version (except this obviously doesn't have the Space Jam ad that immediately followed). I had no idea Lego Masters had an official YouTube channel, so I guess this'll make it easier to find more of these videos if they come up in future episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's episode featured two challenges. The first was to build the Lego Technic Lamborghini model from memory and without instructions, and whoever built it the most accurately would win an advantage in the second challenge. The second challenge was to build a remote control car that would compete in a demolition derby, with the two winners determined by design and durability. This has easily become one of my favorite episodes, mostly because a Lego demolition derby was something I never knew I'd be really excited to see (enough so that I'd like to see more of them).

Edited by Chronicler06

• 3 weeks later...

Season 2 seems to have no shortage of incredibly epic challenges, and this week's episode was another good example of that, with the challenge of building a windmill that can withstand wind from a giant fan up to 60 mph. Quite a lot of interesting designs, and it was awesome to see just how durable a lot of those models turned out to be.

Quite a rather entertaining episode this week, with the challenge being to build a puppet and have it perform in a puppet show, with the added difficulty of working with another team to have their two puppets perform together. Some puppets were more impressive than others, but what I found especially funny was the banter between Will Arnet and his puppet doppelganger Will "Billy" Puppet.

Now that was an interesting challenge for this week's episode. First (courtesy of the antics of "Evil Will"), the teams had to split up and work individually on opposite sides of a wall to build either a land creature or a sea creature, then in the second part of the challenge, the teams were bought back together to combine their two different creations into a single mash-up creature. Working individually in the first challenge and then suddenly having to combine the two models (in some cases at quite different scales) definitely challenged the teams in unexpected ways, but at least some of the final results were pretty impressive.

The theme of this week's build challenge was home renovation (to the extreme) by rebuilding a rather basic model house into something really extraordinary, complete with lots of movement. There was even an added twist of utilizing NPU (Nice Parts Usage) with a bulk shipment of a surprise Lego element for each team halfway through the build. I have to say, all of those builds definitely went way outside the box with their creativity.

This week's challenge featured the always popular theme of Castle with the unique twist of trying to build a castle literally outward from the side of a (brick-built) cliff with only ten very small points of attachment. As an added bonus, the team that built the furthest outward would automatically advance to next week's finale. Definitely some interesting building techniques to create such large structures hanging precariously outward off the side of a cliff with very little to hold it all up.

Just like the previous season, the season finale build is 24 hours to build anything they want, but this time with the requirement to add some lighting effects that will make the completed models stand out in the dark. Another feature from the previous season finale (a visit by family members) was understandably done a little differently this time for obvious reasons, but was definitely worth it for the remaining builders. As an added bonus, the winning build will be displayed at Legoland in Florida (I know the previous season's final build was to be displayed in the new Legoland New York park, so I guess they wanted to have future models displayed in as many different places across the country). Overall, the final three builds were very impressive, and it was an excellent way to end the season.