Set Review: 4528 Green Lantern

Great review, BFA! I'm surprised that the backpack looks better than on some of the other sets... finally Lego is starting to add back armor to some of their figures, although with mixed results. Also, a shame that the green isn't classic green, but hey its better than nothing!:music:

I'm so glad to be seeing more parts in Bright Green in so many themes. Classic Mata green (Dark Green) is a lovely color in its own right, but Bright Green has been on LEGO's color palette for many years and has unfortunately been mostly restricted to things like baseplates and plant pieces in System. In Duplo it has been used a lot more for years, but this year it finally shines in System on the Garbage Truck and Recycling Trucks in LEGO City. And Green Lantern is its first major appearance in either Technic-based or constraction-based sets.One reason I like it is that it's sort of a happy medium between the lime (Bright Yellowish Green) used so often in BIONICLE and Hero Factory and the Mata green people have been longing to see make a return. I hope the Hero Factory theme makes use of this color as well, although I'm sure many people are more anxious to see more Mata green (Dark Green) and Metru Green (Earth Green) since they will match more already-existing BIONICLE parts. I do kind of wish that Nex 2.0 and Nex 3.0 had used this color for his head and Hero Core so we'd have had consistency within the Hero Factory theme. Plus, I think it might have looked nicer as a head/eye color.Anyway, Green Lantern is a nice set, but I don't quite like him as much as Batman, primarily because he looks more robotic. Realistically, it might have been better for Batman to have had more obvious "power armor" since he is a hero who relies on his high-tech gear than supernatural powers in the first place, but I can understand how the designers wanted to give him wings and Joker a cape. Making Green Lantern appear more muscular is realistically the only way to bring him to the same price point.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Thanks for the review. I haven't said it on this site yet, but the superhero constraction figure sets turned out to be so much better than I thought they would be. In fact, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that they didn't make more - it would have been nice to at least have Superman or another villian. Ah well, if they sell well (which is almost guarenteed), I'm sure we'll get a second wave next year. :)

I hope the Hero Factory theme makes use of this color as well, although I'm sure many people are more anxious to see more Mata green (Dark Green) and Metru Green (Earth Green) since they will match more already-existing BIONICLE parts.

Honestly, after eight years of that and lime, I'm glad they're changing things up.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

What bugs me about these is that there are too many pieces without a fixed position like his shoulder armor in which case, although it may be useful and make up for more diverse poses, it barely makes any sense. I am more annoyed by the gunmetal cladding piece on his back, though (which is still better than an open ball joint). Overall, much better than Joker, but still not a set I am likely to buy. Batman is still my preferred set of the DC Universe Super Heroes. Thanks for the review, Bfa! :)~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I just need to ask, how is nobody commenting on the friggin' black 2cm pin? Am I seeing it right, or is that thing actually black, instead of Lego's typical horrific red. Everywhere else it's red, but here I can see it clear as day in black. And nobody is pointing it out!

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I just need to ask, how is nobody commenting on the friggin' black 2cm pin? Am I seeing it right, or is that thing actually black, instead of Lego's typical horrific red. Everywhere else it's red, but here I can see it clear as day in black. And nobody is pointing it out!

The change to red pins was never 100%, and in fact the change occurred in many sets before it occurred in BIONICLE. The reason it's probably used in this set is that there are no other pins or axles to confuse it with, except the Brick Yellow (tan) 2M non-friction pin/axle. This is much different than BIONICLE which could have dozens of small, easily-confused pins and axles even in medium-sized sets.

The change to red pins was never 100%, and in fact the change occurred in many sets before it occurred in BIONICLE. The reason it's probably used in this set is that there are no other pins or axles to confuse it with, except the Brick Yellow (tan) 2M non-friction pin/axle. This is much different than BIONICLE which could have dozens of small, easily-confused pins and axles even in medium-sized sets.
I know all that, they used to appear in Exo-Force, and it was all so kids never get mixed up, but surely the fact that we've got a black one here has to merit some mention. It's been ages since we last saw one.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

And, I'm quite glad they thought enough to include it. When GL first debuted at Comic-Con 2011, he actually did have a red pin. And it was horrifically jarring (as they usually are).-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

And, I'm quite glad they thought enough to include it. When GL first debuted at Comic-Con 2011, he actually did have a red pin. And it was horrifically jarring (as they usually are). -Mesonak

I wish they had green pin piece. The red sticks out too much.
A green 2cm pin piece would be cool especially if it was mata green.

And, I'm quite glad they thought enough to include it. When GL first debuted at Comic-Con 2011, he actually did have a red pin. And it was horrifically jarring (as they usually are). -Mesonak

I wish they had green pin piece. The red sticks out too much.
A green 2cm pin piece would be cool especially if it was mata green.
What do you mean by 2cm? The axle in this set is 1.6 cm (2 modules or 2M in LEGO terms).