The LEGO Game We'll Never Play

Unless you live in China, you've probably never heard of LEGO Cube, the collaboration between The LEGO Group and Tencent that released in 2018. If you'd like to learn more, listen to Bits N' Bricks Season 2 Episode 27 - Roblox Meets Minecraft in China's LEGO Cube, this week's installment of the series. Hosts Brian Crecente and Ethan Vincent talk to LEGO Group's Micki Fjeldgaard, former Lead Producer on the title, Sean McEvoy, Vice President of LEGO Games, Ronny Scherer, Senior Director of LEGO Games Asia-Pacific, Nannan Li, Associate Product Lead, and Long Cao, Senior Product Lead to hear how the game came into being. I'm definitely interested in getting up to speed on this title even if I'll never play it.

View the full article

I don't really recall hearing much about this particular game before, though I guess that's probably not so surprising given its exclusivity to China. Interesting to hear about the extensive effort the Lego Group went through to ensure that this game would be suitable for the Chinese audience, not just with regulations, but also in reflecting Chinese values and being something that would actually appeal to such a unique culture. While it technically has yet to be fully officially released, it's nice that what has been available for the last few years has been able to be rather successful.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.