Was Matoro's Sacrifice For Nothing?

We all remember back in 2007 when Matoro sacrificed himself by putting on the Ignika, killing him so that the Great Spirit can be resurrected; and then in the end of the next year when the Great Spirit robot finally awakened, but through a terrible twist it was revealed the Makuta had taken over Mata Nui's body and sent his Spirit with the Ignika into space.Now I have been thinking about it, and I have a theory about how the Makuta got control of the Mata Nui robot. The online videos (and the opening scene from The Legend Reborn) show Mata Nui rising with green eyes, only to transform into red showing the Makuta has taken over. I don't see that as likely, but enough of the chit-chat, here's my theory.I believe that when Mata Nui died, his spirit left the giant robot, leaving an empty shell, perfect for Makuta (I know his name is Teridax, so pardon me) to seep into the robot to be 'resurrected'. During Matoro's last moments, he was told by something to "Put on the Mask." I have a feeling that was Teridax.My theory doesn't end there, no. It also expands with the Toa Ignika. The Toa was formed by the Mask of Life in the swamps of Karda Nui. This may sound kind of dumb but I really do believe that the Toa Ignika was an early version of Toa Mata Nui! Now I do note that there are a lot of plot holes if my last idea is true, if the Toa Ignika was Mata Nui, then why didn't he contact the Toa, telling him about the Makuta's takeover? Maybe because he was getting used to his body while he was 'Toa Ignika' and fully perfected his body on Bara Magna.And that's my theory. What do you think?

The Raidmaster

I don't think Makuta told Matoro to don the mask, it was his destiny to use the mask, and we had already discovered that the mask had a sort of sentience, and communicated via mental messages and mental illusions and such, as it can interfere in another beings' life, causing their mind to perceive things which are not really there. As for the mask being Mara Nui, no, Mata Nui's spirit had not yet been placed into the mask, the mask was operating with the unusual level of sentience it already had. As for the resurrection the eye color change, I know what you mean, I noticed that too and thought about it as well, I think Makuta's spirit had taken control, but since the robot was not yet awake and alive(Awake and Alive by skillet! :P) he could not displace Mata Nui's spirit, so when the robot returned to life, Mata Nui was in control momentarily, but, as we had been told, he had been weakened during his sleep, and Makuta, not weakened, and therefore in better shape, so to speak, cast out his spirit, chose to place it in the mask of life as he deemed it one of the greatest threats to his reign along with Mata Nui, and launched them into space. It doesn't seem like the best idea, to put the two greatest threats together, but Makuta had not yet learned entirely how to control his new body, and exiling the Ignika and Mata Nui was the safest plan, and would have worked, had he not been brained by a planet, or fragment of a planet, depending on your source(I'm not sure which is canon :P).

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5700 - My new epic revealing the life of the interesting character we all wish we could have known better before he left us, Karzahni.

Actually, it was explained that Teridax had gotten into Mata-Nui's body as soon as he had been awakened, and pushed Mata-Nui into the Ignika. The video in which the eyes turn red isn't entirely canon, AFAIK; They had to make the eyes start out green so that we would be tricked before the twist.Toa Ignika was, in fact, the Ignika. As I said before, Mata-Nui wasn't pushed into the Ignika until the robot was awakened.Check BS01, or the comics, or BIONICLEStory.Sorry to spoil your theory. :P- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

I don't have a complete answer, but I wanted to point out two key things:1) We already know canonically that Matoro's death was not in vain. First of all the giant robot had to be revived, survival of its inhabitants was aided by bringing them to Bara Magna in a roundabout way, and most importantly Makuta was destined, whether he wanted to or not, to help reform Spherus Magna. And it turned out good in the end, including Makuta's defeat -- in that case, I see what Matoro did as basically setting a trap for Makuta, although Matoro didn't know it.2) The eyes turning red could simply be considered Makuta's power spreading throughout it, not an actual switching of who's in control. The eyes' normal color might be a mechanical function that could display that way regardless of who was in power, while the red might be basically Makuta's shadow energy "painting over" the green. So he could have been in control already as soon as the robot was awakened, but the color change would still symbolically represent his takeover. This seems to make sense to me because he had to be in control in some way to move Mata Nui's spirit, as far as I know.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The mask chose Matoro the moment they encountered each other, it was the Mask who told him to put it on. Also Toa Ignika had a completely different personality to Mata Nui. He needed encouragement to sacrafice himself/itself for Mata Nui. IF that actually was Mata Nui, no encouragement would be needed, as he would know it wasn't a sacrafice.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I'm pretty sure the whole 'eye turning red thing' is simply intended to be symbolic of Makuta taking over, not necessarily a physical change.

team_axonn_banner_redone.png

Credit to .:MatoroIgnika:. for the awesome banner.

75% of BZPers are afraid to show there love for Bionicle, if you are part of the 25% that are proud to call yourselves fans of Bionicle, Copy and Paste this into your sig.

Pretty sure that it was the Ignika that told Matoro to put the mask on. Remember that Teridax was still in the Pit when Matoro was dying.

Actually Makuta was already in the Core Processor by the time Matoro sacrificed himself. He had to be - otherwise he wouldn't have been able to take Mata Nui's place at the time the Great Spirit died.And why is everyone talking about Mata Nui having green eyes? He had yellow eyes, not green. Edited by Toatapio Nuva

I'm pretty sure the whole 'eye turning red thing' is simply intended to be symbolic of Makuta taking over, not necessarily a physical change.

Well, it can be both. It's always shown red later while Makuta is in control, so I see no reason to think it's not actually there.

Pretty sure that it was the Ignika that told Matoro to put the mask on. Remember that Teridax was still in the Pit when Matoro was dying.

Actually Makuta was already in the Core Processor by the time Matoro sacrificed himself. He had to be - otherwise he wouldn't have been able to take Mata Nui's place at the time the Great Spirit died.And why is everyone talking about Mata Nui having green eyes? He had yellow eyes, not green.
The color is actually lime, which is yellowish green, so you can't say "not green." It's clearly not a non-green yellow, so people call that "green", rightly so, for simplicity's sake. :)See here.Of course, it does look yellow very briefly as it's turning to red, since yellow is between lime and red. Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Mata Nui went into the mask via the lightstones, not when Matoro donned it. When Matoro sacrificed himself, Teridax got to the robot first and intercepted Mata Nui, and when the lightstone thing happened, he grabbed Mata Nui's sleeping soul and tossed it into the mask. Remember in the book, something was flowing into the Ignika. That was Mata Nui. Yes, it woke him up, but it was too late, and the Ignika was ejected. So Toa Ignika did not have Mata Nui's spirit yet.

aouROFb.png

I think the main problem here is that in The Kingdom, Mata Nui does die, and yet everything works out for almost everyone. Greg once said that The Kingdom was one of many different possible outcomes of Mata Nui's death, and most of the others ended with everyone dying.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I think the main problem here is that in The Kingdom, Mata Nui does die, and yet everything works out for almost everyone.

Unfortunately, in that universe, the island wasn't going to survive much longer. They were planning to move from the island. :/
But regardless, it can be assumed Nuju and Nuparu's project got them all off safely.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

We all remember back in 2007 when Matoro sacrificed himself by putting on the Ignika, killing him so that the Great Spirit can be resurrected; and then in the end of the next year when the Great Spirit robot finally awakened, but through a terrible twist it was revealed the Makuta had taken over Mata Nui's body and sent his Spirit with the Ignika into space.Now I have been thinking about it, and I have a theory about how the Makuta got control of the Mata Nui robot. The online videos (and the opening scene from The Legend Reborn) show Mata Nui rising with green eyes, only to transform into red showing the Makuta has taken over. I don't see that as likely, but enough of the chit-chat, here's my theory.I believe that when Mata Nui died, his spirit left the giant robot, leaving an empty shell, perfect for Makuta (I know his name is Teridax, so pardon me) to seep into the robot to be 'resurrected'. During Matoro's last moments, he was told by something to "Put on the Mask." I have a feeling that was Teridax.My theory doesn't end there, no. It also expands with the Toa Ignika. The Toa was formed by the Mask of Life in the swamps of Karda Nui. This may sound kind of dumb but I really do believe that the Toa Ignika was an early version of Toa Mata Nui! Now I do note that there are a lot of plot holes if my last idea is true, if the Toa Ignika was Mata Nui, then why didn't he contact the Toa, telling him about the Makuta's takeover? Maybe because he was getting used to his body while he was 'Toa Ignika' and fully perfected his body on Bara Magna.And that's my theory. What do you think?

First off Matoro's sacrifice was not in vain it allowed Mata Nui to be thrown it Bara magna and gain new allies to help him win the fight with Makuta. Second off it was Matoro's destiny to put the mask on.

Absolutely not. Matoro's sacrifice was not in vain; he saved the life of Mata-Nui! The fact that Makuta later took control of Mata-Nui's body does not mitigate Matoro's sacrifice. Also, from what I understand, Makuta took over Mata-Nui when Mata-Nui awaked, not after he died. So Mata-Nui was still in his body after Matoro saved him.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg