What are the limits of Vakama’s visions?

Hi, guys. We see that Vakama can have visions about the future. However, we don’t know where they come from and why they get into Vakama’s head rather than other people’s heads, but the events that the visions based on happened. 

Plus, I wonder if Vakama had known that the events of the 2008-2010 story arcs and the 2010s story serials will happen? Did he also know about the events of the 2006 story arc? Who is giving Vakama these visions? Is it Artahka or some member of the Order of Mata Nui? In G2, there is the G2 Mask of Time that allows spits wearer to see into the future. You think that the G1 Mask of Time may be a half of a bigger mask, as many fans theorize? The G2 mask is said to be the top part. It’s quite weird that Vakama is the only person to have much more visions than other characters, including the Toa Mata.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I mean you could even say it was the G1 mask retroactively giving him the visions from some time in the future after it was made.

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

It's a mystery!

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

The canon fact is that Vakama is simply a natural clairvoyant. Nobody is "sending" him any visions. 

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I'm tempted to make it my personal head-canon that while Vakama was trying to create a Mask of Clairvoyance, it shattered on him (like his failed mask of time did so many times) but he got pieces of it lodged in his own mask.

When he became a Toa, not only did his Huna become a great mask, but those shards of the Mask of Clairvoyance did too, and he got very limited access to its powers as well.

His visions act very similarly to how that particular mask works, yanking him into a vision and showing him the future without him being able to control it.

But hey, it's just a theory... ;)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

On 7/21/2021 at 8:49 PM, TERIDAX941 said:

I'm tempted to make it my personal head-canon that while Vakama was trying to create a Mask of Clairvoyance, it shattered on him (like his failed mask of time did so many times) but he got pieces of it lodged in his own mask.

When he became a Toa, not only did his Huna become a great mask, but those shards of the Mask of Clairvoyance did too, and he got very limited access to its powers as well.

His visions act very similarly to how that particular mask works, yanking him into a vision and showing him the future without him being able to control it.

But hey, it's just a theory... ;)

Well, I don’t think the pieces would be in Vakama’s mask. They aren’t sticking out from Vakama’s mask. Plus, he can’t use the Mask of Clairvoyance like that. I would think that a member of the Order of Mata Nui may be using its Mask of Clairvoyance to send Vakama these visions to protect the Matoran Universe. I mean, in Time Trap, the Karzahni plant said that there was an Order member who was trying to tell the Toa Metru about Teridax trying to trick Toa Lhikan into choosing the wrong Matoran to become the Toa Metru. Anything involving the Order like that could happen.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 7:22 AM, Lenny7092 said:

You double posted.

Yes, yes I did.

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of Vakama having visions was interesting to me as a new fan. MNOG 2 tells us that Ga-Matoran are able to have visions through purity. We see Gali have visions in the comics (though, Kopaka also has the same vision in one of the books, if I am not mistaken) So it is interesting that Vakama, a Ta-Matoran, would be the one chosen to receive visions in the 04-05 story. I could be wrong about this, though.

2 hours ago, Zidonaro said:

I think it was Mata Nui's way of warning him about impending doom and make him do something to save the Great Spirit. After Mata Nui went comatose, he stopped having visions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he still have visions on Mata Nui? He often "consulted the sacred fire" or something like that, I thought they said that was his way of hiding his visions from the Matoran?

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

On 8/19/2021 at 8:39 PM, TERIDAX941 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he still have visions on Mata Nui? He often "consulted the sacred fire" or something like that, I thought they said that was his way of hiding his visions from the Matoran?

I think he also had visions in one of the 05 novels.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 9:39 PM, TERIDAX941 said:

On 8/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, HeavyLobster said:

I think he also had visions in one of the 05 novels.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:30 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

According to Downfall, he also had a vision of Matoro's sacrifice when it happened.

Oh yeah, you're right.... I forgot about these.

Well, taking this into consideration, maybe Vakama has a "bug" of some kind in his programming, perhaps?

6 hours ago, Zidonaro said:

Well, taking this into consideration, maybe Vakama has a "bug" of some kind in his programming, perhaps?

Welcome to the entire backbone of Bionicle's story.

Canon answer: Vakama's visions are "glitches" within the Matoran Universe/Great Spirit Robot system that leak him random information, interpreted by Vakama and particularly Nokama as being visions of the future, which they more often than not are in a self-fulfilling way. On the island of Mata Nui, Vakama used the Sacred Fire as a cover for his visions.

Real answer: Prophetic visions were all the rage in the early 2000s, so LEGO gave Vakama vague, mystical visions that were narratively interesting.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 4 weeks later...

The simplest answer is its a lazy writing tactic for exposition and moving the plot forward. If Vakama didn't have visions of impending doom he would have to uncover the plot through his own investigation, which would take time. It's easier to just have him suddenly aware that something is wrong. 

On the other hand, it's also a hero/sage trope to have visions. Why they are never explained? Who knows, who cares, and we move onto the next thing. Star Wars does it all the time and we waiver it as The Force speaking to the character. 

In MNOG Gali suddenly has a telepathic link with Takua so we the player can see what is happening under ground. Since the game was focused on the Tohunga perspective, we wouldn't have actually seen the Toa battle Makuta unless someone other than the Toa witnessed it. Having Takua down there the whole time would have been a bit much, so they show us the Kaita transformation and the battle with the Manas through a vision, leaving the final battle with Makuta to be seen by his own eyes. Otherwise, the game might have just ended with the Kini battle,  which would have been somewhat anticlimactic. And seeing as we didn't have LOMN or the comics to show us the final Toa battle, that responsibility fell to MNOG.