How LEGO Legacy: Heroes Unboxed Was Made

The latest episode of the Bits N' Bricks podcast was released earlier today. In Episode 30, hosts Ethan Vincent and Brian Crecente talk to Design Director Ryan Hill and Lead Producer Brian Cook from Gameloft Toronto and Soren Vejgaard from the LEGO Games team about the creation of LEGO Legacy: Heroes Unboxed. It's cool to hear about how the game was essentially designed for AFOLs to hit those nostalgia buttons, and it's sad that Gameloft has mismanaged the title so severely that it's not worth playing anymore. You can listen to the episode on YouTube or your preferred podcasting platform. After covering such a recent game, I'm curious to hear what Ethan and Brian talk about next week!

View the full article

This was definitely interesting to listen to, as I've been interested in trying this game for quite a while. In fact, it's one of the three Lego mobile games I had downloaded on my new iPad when I got it a few months ago (the other two are Lego Tower and Ninjago Shadow of Ronin), but I've just been too busy with other hobbies to really get around to trying any of those games. Anyway, it was interesting to not only learn a bit about how the game actually works, but also it was really neat just how much effort the developers went through to include all of those various minifigures across several decades of Lego history (especially how some of the older sets and minifigures were actually sold by collectors directly back to the Lego Group to be used by the game developers). I don't know when I'll get around to actually trying this game, but from what I've heard here, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

13 hours ago, Chronicler06 said:

I don't know when I'll get around to actually trying this game, but from what I've heard here, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I played this game for about a year after it was first released, and while there is some fun in it, there's not much endgame, at least when I eventually quit. In this episode, you hear from the original developers in Toronto, but what they don't mention is that the parent company, Gameloft, took the game away from them and gave it to a much smaller team in Hungary which struggled to support the game and add new content. I'm sure they've added some new stuff and are working as hard as they can, but it seemed like it was on its last legs and might get turned off soon.