The Dev Cycle of an Indie LEGO Game

It's Wednesday, so we've got a new episode of the Bits N' Bricks podcast to listen to and learn from. This week, hosts Ethan Vincent and Brian Crecente go back to Light Brick Studio to go behind the scenes of LEGO Builders Journey (which we just wrapped up yesterday on Twitch!) and their future projects. They talk to CEO and creative director Karsten Lund, designer Jonas Haugesen, and test lead Simone Okholm about their iterative process that includes playtests every week, what they've learned from creating LEGO Builders Journey and porting it to new platforms, and where they're headed next (without giving away any specifics). You can go listen to Season 3, Episode 31 - Prototype, Playtest, Repeat: Inside Light Brick Studio on YouTube or your favorite podcast platform to hear for yourself. While I love the historic perspective many episodes provide, I also appreciate the modern-day look that this one gives us too!

View the full article

I don't really have much to say about this episode, as the majority of it is apparently about the concept of playtesting from a production standpoint, which didn't really catch my attention very much. At least it was interesting to learn that the version of Lego Builder's Journey that I recently played on Steam actually has a little more content than the original version on Apple Arcade (I may have to search for videos of the Apple Arcade version and compare it to the PC version just to see what exactly was added in the more recent release).

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.