Comics Contest #1: Get a Clue!

-Windrider-

farnsworth.jpgGood news, everyone! The deadline has been extended, but I expect statues in Ziko's and my honor for this!No but seriously we are both fine with giving everyone two extra weekends to work on entries. Three weeks was not enough time, and that's one lesson learned for the next contest. You now have until March 4th at 11:59 PM Eastern! But we expect some killer entries from everyone, so dangerous that there is a warrant out for these comics' arrest, and yet so mysterious that police everywhere are left baffled. Anyway.(For the record, if there were only two entries on the 22nd, we'd be forced to extend, if it wasn't too late. But, I was almost entirely certain that there would have been a few more entries received before the old deadline, going by posts/blog entries/PMs.)

Edited by -Windrider-

I honestly think the entry #1 is actually a troll entry.

If you're talking about this entry, that seems to be exactly what he was doing. However, it does fit the style of the rest of his comics. So yeah, the entry was obviously made for the lols, but at least it's consistent. I for one nearly died laughing at it.

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

I'd love the deadline extension if it weren't for the fact that I stayed up last night working on it (leaving the final touches for today), and didn't find out the deadline was extended until just a little while ago, when I was already done. :P I'm still glad it was done though, as mildly frustrating as this is--three weeks was barely enough time for me to do this; I kind of feel like I rushed parts of it.Anyway:Member name: TavakaiEntry name: A Dark DeedEntry URLs: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4Thumbnail URL: bzpcc1_adarkdeed_tavakai_thumb.pngEntry topic: TavKorp(I'm in the process of posting it in the topic, and as soon as I do I'll put the comic at the top of the post in large text. That way, even though there's tons of other comics there, it shouldn't inconvenience people.)

Edited by Tavakai

button.png

wow, only 3 entries. I'm disappointed

Maybe you should enter. ;) You've still got a week and a half.
but the entry period ended today, unless of course you haven't updated your calender for a week and a half.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

but the entry period ended today, unless of course you haven't updated your calender for a week and a half.

No but seriously we are both fine with giving everyone two extra weekends to work on entries. Three weeks was not enough time, and that's one lesson learned for the next contest. You now have until March 4th at 11:59 PM Eastern!

I updated my calendar when Wind updated his. So it looks like you've still got some time. Go! Make an entry! :D

hey it's Studio Comic

nah, I'm not good at drawing 'n such; and there really isn't enougth time now even if I was good at it to make a good entry worthy of posting.

Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Brotip, man: If you're going to act like you know it all, make sure you actually do. ;-)Anyhow, are we still going to have the semifinal voting round if there are only a few entries? Or will we have one regardless?

Brotip, man: If you're going to act like you know it all, make sure you actually do. ;-)Anyhow, are we still going to have the semifinal voting round if there are only a few entries? Or will we have one regardless?
uh, yeah, It seemed I checked the notification on the side of the forums that shows upcoming calendar events last night and said "hey, the entry period is over tomorrow; people must've posted there entries by now!" so I crawled out from under my rock and checked; and lo and behold: 3 entries!then I posted, and they just happen to update the calendar after I post >.<this is one of those days where I feel like a cool dude

Anyhow, are we still going to have the semifinal voting round if there are only a few entries? Or will we have one regardless?

It's possible that there will only be one round of voting, but that depends on just how few entries. If there's more than ten entries we'll probably have multiple rounds since there can only be up to ten options in a single-question poll. Ten or less entries would most likely have one round of voting, although I suppose we could make a second if we really wanted to.

Member name: Eljay: Toa of MangosteenEntry name: Mystery TheaterEntry URL: Part 1 | Part 2Thumbnail URL: bzpcc1entrypic.pngEntry topic: The Lazy Life of a Comic Maker 3.0sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Must...ignore...better entries...must...get...done!! =P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

Question:It its current form (70% of comic done, rest scripted in my head) I feel like I'm kind of on the "zaniness" borderline. If the staff deems it not serious enough for the contest, am I allowed to revise?/EDIT: Although looking at Tavaki and Toa of Pumpkins' entries, I think I'm okay. :P

Edited by Ddude the Insane

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

There seems to be some misunderstanding in these entries,The first post says "This contest requires you to submit a comic whose focus is on a plot of intrigue, a mystery that will leave your readers guessing until you finally put all the clues together for them. If you decide to do that at all, that is." To me, this means that these stories should expand on the clues they leave and give some sort of resolution, one that pulls all the clues together, or even a more open ended conclusion.However, my problem comes in the fact that I don't think anyone is doing this, They start a mystery, devote two pages and simply end it with the expectation that this is a complete mystery story. I'm sorry to say, but it's not. All the entries so far feel like incomplete tales that don't build on or explain a single thing that happens, leaving even the hint of what is going on up to the reader. The winner, in my opinion, will probably just go to the best art, and it really shouldn't come to that. I'm afraid this may get me flamed, but this is what I truly think, and I thought these could have been pretty interesting.

THIS IS EMPTY! BOO-YAH! I'M A DRAGON!

ROOOOOOAR!!

There seems to be some misunderstanding in these entries,The first post says "This contest requires you to submit a comic whose focus is on a plot of intrigue, a mystery that will leave your readers guessing until you finally put all the clues together for them. If you decide to do that at all, that is." To me, this means that these stories should expand on the clues they leave and give some sort of resolution, one that pulls all the clues together, or even a more open ended conclusionHowever, my problem comes in the fact that I don't think anyone is doing this, They start a mystery, devote two pages and simply end it with the expectation that this is a complete mystery story. I'm sorry to say, but it's not. All the entries so far feel like incomplete tales that don't build on or explain a single thing that happens, leaving even the hint of what is going on up to the reader.

As much as I love a good resolution (with tantalizing questions as well, of course) these still are quite adequately falling under the mystery guidelines. I'll just highlight a part of the text you already quoted:

If you decide to do that at all, that is.

While you may not like an unresolved (or... un-expounded...) mystery, it's still a mystery. And the author can choose to dish it out however they like. Just don't vote if you don't like it, but they certainly shouldn't be disqualified or made any less legitimate. Edited by Uncle K.

There seems to be some misunderstanding in these entries,The first post says "This contest requires you to submit a comic whose focus is on a plot of intrigue, a mystery that will leave your readers guessing until you finally put all the clues together for them. If you decide to do that at all, that is." To me, this means that these stories should expand on the clues they leave and give some sort of resolution, one that pulls all the clues together, or even a more open ended conclusion.However, my problem comes in the fact that I don't think anyone is doing this, They start a mystery, devote two pages and simply end it with the expectation that this is a complete mystery story. I'm sorry to say, but it's not. All the entries so far feel like incomplete tales that don't build on or explain a single thing that happens, leaving even the hint of what is going on up to the reader. The winner, in my opinion, will probably just go to the best art, and it really shouldn't come to that. I'm afraid this may get me flamed, but this is what I truly think, and I thought these could have been pretty interesting.

You raise a valid point, but Wind did state that we didn't have to give a firm resolution as long as the element of intrigue and the clues are there, if I interpret his post correctly. I'll leave other to discuss the validity of each individual entry (and hopefully this point will carry to the polls, where the ones devoted more fully to the mystery will win) but as starved for submissions as we are, I doubt we're going to start hurling DQ's for not following the rules to the letter.

hey it's Studio Comic

There seems to be some misunderstanding in these entries,The first post says "This contest requires you to submit a comic whose focus is on a plot of intrigue, a mystery that will leave your readers guessing until you finally put all the clues together for them. If you decide to do that at all, that is." To me, this means that these stories should expand on the clues they leave and give some sort of resolution, one that pulls all the clues together, or even a more open ended conclusion.

I slightly noticed this too.I'm hoping that my entry may create mystery even though many may already what it is. :P-:b::c::2::1:

:I

The problem I have is that most of the entries don't do anything with the clues and merely leave them there to dangle, It just seems that nothing really gets accomplished.I am not saying that any of them should be disqualified; what I am saying is that most of them are not finished. All we're given is the beginning of the story with no idea where these clues can lead. I just wanted to say what's been bothering me. If I'm wrong, then fine, but I really do feel that these entries don't really do anything but provide questions without any hint of the answer we make being right or wrong.

THIS IS EMPTY! BOO-YAH! I'M A DRAGON!

ROOOOOOAR!!

The problem I have is that most of the entries don't do anything with the clues and merely leave them there to dangle, It just seems that nothing really gets accomplished.I am not saying that any of them should be disqualified; what I am saying is that most of them are not finished. All we're given is the beginning of the story with no idea where these clues can lead. I just wanted to say what's been bothering me. If I'm wrong, then fine, but I really do feel that these entries don't really do anything but provide questions without any hint of the answer we make being right or wrong.

Um, wellI would point out that the writers all had only a month to write these. Not really enough time to figure out a lot of deep intrinsic clues and then create a fairly graphics-intensive comic about it.

Its also hard to write a mystery when so many of the authors are used to either epics or comedy. Not many people actually write mysteries or have experience with it. Also I agree with that everyone is going for graphics and not so much story. I myself am hoping that people understand the entry, which you actually have to have knowledge of people in the Bionicle storyline, their powers, positions, and such. I don't think anyone should be disqualified in my opinion. Rarely is anyone use to mystery enough for anyone to be disqualified. its a comic genre not many people use.~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Its also hard to write a mystery when so many of the authors are used to either epics or comedy. Not many people actually write mysteries or have experience with it. Also I agree with that everyone is going for graphics and not so much story. I myself am hoping that people understand the entry, which you actually have to have knowledge of people in the Bionicle storyline, their powers, positions, and such. I don't think anyone should be disqualified in my opinion. Rarely is anyone use to mystery enough for anyone to be disqualified. its a comic genre not many people use.~Soran

I see what you're saying here, but the point of this contest is to make people really think and try something new. A month is a pretty long time to come up with a mystery, and most comic makers here can make the actual comic pretty fast. I know it's not super easy to come up with a good mystery, but as I said, a month is a long period of time. And it's actually about a month and a week. Also, I don't really think that people should vote for the comics with the best graphics because people like Gavla, Tavakia, and Kahi would have a much better advantage than everyone else. And as I, again, said before, this contest is to make people really think of a good mystery, not to make comics that they're already used to making. No one ever said that people should be disqualified for not having much of a mystery. D-Shadow was simply explaining his opinion of the matter, and I personally agree with him.-Rez Edited by Reznas Nuva

A month is a pretty long time to come up with a mystery, and most comic makers here can make the actual comic pretty fast.

Anyone who uses sprites can make a comic pretty fast, sure. But that's because they're using kits they didn't make - a lot of their work is done before they've even started. And I see a lot of sprite comics even use photographs as backgrounds, and I doubt the creators even took the photos themselves.People who want to create something original (AKA people who draw their work or whatever) have a lot more work to do, and if they want to do a full blown mystery, it's a fairly large undertaking. For stuff like that, a month isn't a huge amount of time.

A month is a pretty long time to come up with a mystery, and most comic makers here can make the actual comic pretty fast.

Anyone who uses sprites can make a comic pretty fast, sure. But that's because they're using kits they didn't make - a lot of their work is done before they've even started. And I see a lot of sprite comics even use photographs as backgrounds, and I doubt the creators even took the photos themselves.People who want to create something original (AKA people who draw their work or whatever) have a lot more work to do, and if they want to do a full blown mystery, it's a fairly large undertaking. For stuff like that, a month isn't a huge amount of time.
Sprites or not, it still take a while to make a comic, depending on it's quality. Unless you've MADE a sprite comic before, please don't go saying it's a fast way of making comics.Most people now a days don't make as nice of quality work, at least not up to the standards of before. Doesn't mean they didn't take a while. I personally don't see much of a difference between sprites and hand drawn, cause the thing is what's been hand drawn here isn't completely original either, if you consider the mask designs. Sprites are made by others, yes, but they were also made FOR others.I see it as a fairly two way street here. I think both styles have their own respects and their own strengths and weaknesses. They're both Bionicle comics, and have a lot in common. It's both artwork with a different way of displaying it.sig.png Edited by Eljay: Toa of Mangosteen

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Sprites or not, it still take a while to make a comic, depending on it's quality. Unless you've MADE a sprite comic before, please don't go saying it's a fast way of making comics.

It is without a doubt faster than serious hand drawn work. As I said - the characters are already made for you. You can copy over backgrounds as opposed to an artist redrawing it every panel.

I personally don't see much of a difference between sprites and hand drawn, cause the thing is what's been hand drawn here isn't completely original either, if you consider the mask designs.

Uh, if you've noticed, most of the world's artists tend to draw things that already exist. You don't go up to an artist who's painted a portrait of somebody and go 'lol nice try bro, but you just copied someone else's face, minus points for not being original colbro.png colbro.png colbro.png'You can't compare an artist drawing something that exists to someone copying and pasting something he didn't make into panels over and over.

I see it as a fairly two way street here. I think both styles have their own respects and their own strengths and weaknesses. They're both Bionicle comics, and have a lot in common. It's both artwork with a different way of displaying it.

They don't have an awful lot in common. Okay yes, sprites are art, but they're the sprite maker's art. The people who use the artist's art can't take a whole lot of credit. It's like 'yo hey guys, check out this comic, I made the text myself colbro.png' as opposed to 'yo hey guys, check out this comic, I drew everything myself'.