Most irritating pieces to take apart

Fry

I never found the Rahkshi heads too bad (you can always push an axle through the hole in the top). The Mata eyestalks are tough, but I've found that a butter knife works great for removing them.

The worst, in my opinion, is removing the second liftarm from inside the Rahaga heads. I ended up building a tool specifically for that, and even then it's tricky.

Edited by TuragaNuva
  • Like 1

sigbanner.gif

Mata brain stalks, by far, I'd say. Those things were so cool, and the *snap* they made clicking together was SO SATISFYING, especially the first time you got one of them in a set (or at least, it was for me!), but they were NOT intended to come apart again afterwards...

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

19 hours ago, TuragaNuva said:

I never found the Rahkshi heads too bad (you can always push an axle through the hole in the top). The Mata eyestalks are tough, but I've found that a butter knife works great for removing them.

The worst, in my opinion, is removing the second liftarm from inside the Rahaga heads. I ended up building a tool specifically for that, and even then it's tricky.

How does your Rahaga remover tool work? I think my success rate for removing the second liftarm has been no higher than 5%, I always give up and my Rahkshi/Rahaga head part compartment is littered with heads still attached to that liftarm. 

personal_banner_6.png

The  2001 Toa/Turaga/Nuva/Metru Matoran head by far is a easy winner. I still remember being able to use my whole fingers to pull apart but it hurts a lot.

I also wonder if dead batteries in piraka eyestalks are removable, if so they would win over the mata heads.

Edited by (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-)

16 hours ago, Laval- Master of Energy said:

How about removing individual ball joints like 53585 from socket pieces? All of the Toa Inika had their heads connected with those pieces.

I always found the best way to remove them was just to rotate them in the socket so the flat piece aligned with the joint's wall. then they just fall out.

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

5 hours ago, Alucus of the black Abyss said:

200% agree on the Mata heads they are just a nightmare to get apart. Honestly never found an effective way to do it.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:09 PM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

The  2001 Toa/Turaga/Nuva/Metru Matoran head by far is a easy winner. I still remember being able to use my whole fingers to pull apart but it hurts a lot.

On 9/6/2021 at 6:41 PM, Bambi said:

Definitely the Mata head.

there's a reason that despite it being technically 2 pieces bricklink has it listed as one piece.

• Upvote 1

cd8fe5e91d9a2d2ad25eceee0f67b726e8e8ae67.gif.9de126b854fc59a28d4a68fcd1ec0fd9.gif

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 3:09 AM, Laval- Master of Energy said:

How about removing individual ball joints like 53585 from socket pieces? All of the Toa Inika had their heads connected with those pieces.

Not that hard to grip those balls or their old variants which had no hole on the bottom. Easy way is use a thread a decent length axle like a 5 length to get a grip on the ball and grip the socket with the other hand.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:15 PM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

Not that hard to grip those balls or their old variants which had no hole on the bottom. Easy way is use a thread a decent length axle like a 5 length to get a grip on the ball and grip the socket with the other hand.

It's still annoying and I'm sort of worried about breaking the axle.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

On 9/6/2021 at 4:18 PM, Toa Hovoki Zehvor said:

How does your Rahaga remover tool work? I think my success rate for removing the second liftarm has been no higher than 5%, I always give up and my Rahkshi/Rahaga head part compartment is littered with heads still attached to that liftarm. 

Sorry for taking so long to answer this! Had to dig out the right pieces and reconstruct it from memory (if I still have the old one I used to use, I don't recall where it is).

Hopefully these photos explain it clearly enough, but let me know if you have questions!

20210930_113304.jpg

20210930_113325.jpg

20210930_113336.jpg

20210930_113349.jpg

20210930_113413.jpg

• Like 1

sigbanner.gif

On 9/7/2021 at 10:09 AM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

I also wonder if dead batteries in piraka eyestalks are removable, if so they would win over the mata heads.

There is a method to get the battery out, that relies on an Exacto knife and some stressing of the plastic to pop it open. I have done it on all my Piraka... and while the stress marks aren't visible once they are put back on display and its great to get the battery light up eye effect again let me say... It was a lot harder than a Mata head is.

The Mata heads I learned are easy to use the flat end of a modern style Lego Brick Separator to slide in-between the eye and the head and with a bit of leverage pop the eye off. Seeing how easy it is to get those brick separators now since they come in almost every higher cost set, I think its my favorite method to swapping eyes. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

For both of those heads I've found these methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dXK_Ajo6sA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPIPyJgxDNI

Edited by Onvermel

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

Everyone else beat me to it, but the Rahaga eye piece. I'd always cram the second one between the two pieces to force them apart, but that would bend the axle noticeably even if I only did it a few times.

I don't consider the Mata eye stalk to be truly irritating because they seem designed to go together, and even as a kid I could sort of tell. Unlike the Rahaga pieces, the Mata head elements don't have much utility independently, especially the eye part.

I also wouldn't necessarily count physically flawed pieces like lime joints.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 9/30/2021 at 9:40 AM, TuragaNuva said:

Sorry for taking so long to answer this! Had to dig out the right pieces and reconstruct it from memory (if I still have the old one I used to use, I don't recall where it is).

Hopefully these photos explain it clearly enough, but let me know if you have questions!

20210930_113304.jpg

20210930_113325.jpg

20210930_113336.jpg

20210930_113349.jpg

20210930_113413.jpg

This is genius. I usully just pry something flat under the liftarm, like a brick seperator, grip the sides of the head, and lift up. Works well enough for me.

EKnight

My Flickr. Old Bionicles on Brickshelf

small_logo.png

• 1 month later...

Honestly it would be a bohrok headpiece stuck with an axle extender by a 2 long axle. I guess I'll post a photo soon,  but it requires bending the pieces with immense force to remove it.

• Upvote 1

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 2:11 AM, Nektann said:

Honestly it would be a bohrok headpiece stuck with an axle extender by a 2 long axle. I guess I'll post a photo soon,  but it requires bending the pieces with immense force to remove it.

I sort of figured it out myself (as in a mental image) as something that should never be tried when i first saw those pieces back when the bohrok first came out.

4 hours ago, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

I sort of figured it out myself (as in a mental image) as something that should never be tried when i first saw those pieces back when the bohrok first came out.

I think that technique was actually used in an official set once, as part of a weapon for an Exo-Force mech.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

22 hours ago, Laval- Master of Energy said:

I think that technique was actually used in an official set once, as part of a weapon for an Exo-Force mech.

Yes but that was called Stealth Hunter. That set also used a gun barrel, a 3 length axle and a 1/2 half thickness liftarms that were 1x2 long.

Thanks to Bricklink Studio i can create a demonstration. On the left is from Lego Exo-Force Stealth Hunter instruction manual.
On the right two examples how pieces can get stuck in a bohrok piece. One is with a 3 length rod, a other method that can get stuck.
I made the pieces transparent so you see what can happen, it's impossible to remove if it happens.

bohrok do and don't.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

Yes but that was called Stealth Hunter. That set also used a gun barrel, a 3 length axle and a 1/2 half thickness liftarms that were 1x2 long.

Thanks to Bricklink Studio i can create a demonstration. On the left is from Lego Exo-Force Stealth Hunter instruction manual.
On the right two examples how pieces can get stuck in a bohrok piece. One is with a 3 length rod, a other method that can get stuck.
I made the pieces transparent so you see what can happen, it's impossible to remove if it happens.

bohrok do and don't.jpg

This hurts to look at.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 12/6/2021 at 1:39 PM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:
On 12/5/2021 at 6:55 PM, Laval- Master of Energy said:

bohrok do and don't.jpg

Urgh, that makes my toes curl

cd8fe5e91d9a2d2ad25eceee0f67b726e8e8ae67.gif.9de126b854fc59a28d4a68fcd1ec0fd9.gif

On 12/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

bohrok do and don't.jpg

I... almost did that once. :fear:

I honestly had no idea people were having so much trouble with the Rahaga heads, I never had much trouble gripping the ends of that piece with my fingers and just sliding it right out.

Of course, the only Rahaga I had access to was my brothers' Pouks, and we took it apart... 2 times? :sigh: So maybe we were just lucky?

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I did this recently and tried to remove it with force and broke the piece, but it's not impossible to remove as you can push it out with the notches on the 2m axle and a toothpick or some other thing.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:39 AM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

bohrok do and don't.jpg

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2021 at 2:49 PM, Xboxtravis said:

There is a method to get the battery out, that relies on an Exacto knife and some stressing of the plastic to pop it open. I have done it on all my Piraka... and while the stress marks aren't visible once they are put back on display and its great to get the battery light up eye effect again let me say... It was a lot harder than a Mata head is.

The Mata heads I learned are easy to use the flat end of a modern style Lego Brick Separator to slide in-between the eye and the head and with a bit of leverage pop the eye off. Seeing how easy it is to get those brick separators now since they come in almost every higher cost set, I think its my favorite method to swapping eyes. 

I only learned the brick separator trick this year, and WOW is it a comparative breeze to the inventions of yesteryear. Plus one for that.

Been a hot minute since I've done it, but I'm fairly certain the Piraka eye piece just comes apart without stressing it. Even the Exo-Force light up brick can be (though it is a piece of work...). I'd have to look back at how I did it last.

But yes, I echo everyone's statements here. Mata heads (formerly), the second liftarm of Rahaga heads. Honestly, I've also found the regular pin/axle connectors can be lodged pretty terribly in regular hand pieces. It's mainly sets I'd kept together for years and not disassembled, but I had a wild time getting them all out of my Icarax set earlier this month.

• Like 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Almost all Lego pieces with battery-powered electrical implementations are designed so that the internal batteries can be changed. I say almost because there is (unfortunately) at least one exception that I know of, the head of the T-Rex from the Dino 2010/Attack line. It is not possible to replace the battery on the head without breaking the piece

• Like 1