Whatever Happened to George?

The latest LEGO Gaming podcast episode was released earlier today, delving into the short-lived Life of George augmented reality game. Go listen to Bits N' Bricks Season 3, Episode 32 - The Life (and Legacy) of George and hear from hosts Ethan Vincent and Brian Crecente as they talk to Paal Smith-Meyer, former head of the LEGO Group's new business group, Cynthia Bodin, designer on the app, and Matthew Zoern, Executive Producer at Funcom Canada, about the unique experience it provided. What started as a proof of concept from an Israeli company eventually launched around the globe and spawned the LEGO Fusion games as well. How did it arrive so quickly and disappear almost as suddenly? You'll have to check out the episode to find out!

View the full article

I somehow never heard anything about Life of George while it was out (probably because I never had any interest in social media sites like Facebook, and I still don't to this day), so it was interesting to hear about what the full experience would've been like back then. It was also interesting that the game's developers were planning three more games based on the same concept, only for all of them to suddenly get canceled. And in the end, Life of George was essentially replaced by Lego Fusion, which itself apparently didn't last long either. I guess it's fair to say that I missed out on quite a lot of things simply because I never owned a smartphone prior to 2017.

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.