Coming In With a Bang

Hapori Tohu

Since we've made it to Wednesday, it means there's a new episode of the LEGO Gaming podcast Bits N' Bricks for everyone to listen to. Head over to YouTube or your favorite podcast app to check out Season 3, Episode 33 - Nexo Knights and the Big Bang Theory, which, despite the title, has nothing to do with the sitcom and everything to do with marketing. In this installment, hosts Ethan Vincent and Brian Crecente chat with Daniel Mathiasen, former partnerships and innovations director in the LEGO Front End Innovation team, Mark Hoffmeier, the head writer on Nexo Knights, and Mads Prahm, a production director for the theme. They talk about the process The LEGO Group uses to create a 'big bang' marketing event, including how in-house IPs are developed and how the company works with various partners to make a transmedia launch happen. There's a lot of moving parts and it's interesting to hear how it came together for Nexo Knights!

View the full article

It’s sad that Nexo Knights had a limited budget, which is how it is cheap in some ways, and it has an unfinished story, but it’s nice to hear about the origins a little bit. I hope there will be at least a little bit for that theme’s future, like making NK one of Ninjago’s 16 Realms because NK may have hinted that in its first season and both themes are similar. Happy 5th anniversary, Nexo Knights.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I was already well aware of the "big bang themes" being Bionicle, followed by Ninjago, Chima, and finally Nexo Knights, so what really interested me was how the last two didn't quite have the same staying power as the first two. As far as I could tell from what this episode explained, they seemed to make all the right moves (especially the success of tying together so many different mediums, like Bionicle did), but ultimately, trying to surpass Ninjago was just being too ambitious, despite the rather modest success it was able to hold onto by the third and final year. It does make me wonder what could be the next potential "big bang theme", though considering the more recent efforts didn't quite last as long as the earlier ones, it might be a while before we next see a new theme receive such a huge marketing push. As for Nexo Knights itself, while the game seems like too much effort for me to get into (not to mention that it's no longer even available anyway), I am interested in checking out the TV series if I ever manage to find enough time for it.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

I don't have time tonight to listen to this week's new episode, but I did quickly check YouTube to see that it's about the Lego Batman games, so that should be interesting to listen to, once I get an opportunity to do so.

I can't believe there's still no news page about the most recent episode, so I guess I'll just post a link to the video here along with my comment on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghpdAE_3dAA

It's amazing how much of a huge impact the Batman franchise had on not just TT Games but practically all Lego games. The first Batman game is actually what convinced Warner Bros to acquire TT Games, which as a result put production on hold so Lego Indiana Jones could be finished first. Not to mention, Lego Batman was also the very first game made by TT Games that featured a completely original story that the developers had to come up with. The second Batman game also had a major impact on the development of Lego games, especially with the huge debate on whether to give voices to all the characters for the first time. After that, the third Batman game was really the culmination of all that innovation that was done over the years. Perhaps most significant of all was the fact that Batman now has the most Lego games of all licensed themes (second only to Star Wars). Seriously, everyone, this episode is one that you absolutely must listen to if you want to know how TT Games went from its initial success to the incredibly huge and detailed games they've made in recent years.