Toa doing hand-to-hand combat?

Hi, guys. You know, Toa always come with weapons, masks and elemental powers, but there are times where Toa fight without their weapons, masks, and elemental powers. What do you think they would do about it? Well, I believe Toa should learn how to defend themselves when they don’t have weapons in their hands, or their elemental powers or masks are disabled. They would have to fight their enemies with hand-to-hand combat. Thor from the Thor movie in 2011 has a similar idea. I wonder if they would have different types of fighting styles? Or, they could use something from their surroundings as substitute weapons to adapt to their situations. 

In a 2015 promo video, Tahu did some kung fu when he was fighting the Skull Spiders while surfing on lava (I know that video is not canon, but yes).
In Time Trap, when Vakama’s jet-pack got destroyed, he used his brain to stop Makuta Teridax rather than kicking his butt (probably because Teridax was too dangerous to have his butt kicked). 
When The Toa Nuva lost their elemental powers because of the Bohrok-Kal, they used their brains to defeat them when the Bohrok-Kal were trying to use the Nuva Cube. 
It’s possible that the Toa Hordika would do hand-to-hand combat since they were half-animals.

In The Journey to One in Netflix, the Toa lost their weapons when Umarak throw them away, so the Toa had to use their bodies to fight him, but it was no use. 
In The Yesterday Quest, the Toa are being chased by Bota Magna Vorox, who hold a device that can disable the Toa’s elemental powers. I wonder what the Toa would do about that? Plan sneak attacks and then do kung fu on the Vorox? That’s something that should be resolved (it’s been 10 years). 

I would say the same to Glatorian, other good guys from Bionicle, Heroes from Hero Factory, and maybe bad guys from Bionicle and Hero Factory. 

You get what I’m saying here? I’m just saying my opinion about the Toa’s fighting styles.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

huh?

Why do you think they don't have a clue how to fight unarmed? Of course they do. 

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

The Toa Mata would, courtesy of Hydraxon, they would be professionally trained for all kinds of combat.

The Metru... no martial arts training, they were all promoted from non-combat professions. Onewa, Whenua and Nuju could have had a small amount of training from Lhikan, but given the timeframe I imagine the priority would be on training use of mask and elemental powers.

The Mahri are a mixed bag.

Jaller, Kongu and Hewkii- yes. They all had some military experience and would be prepared to fight armed or unarmed. 

Hahli and Matoro- Not conventional combat training but both played Kohlii professionally. I personally headcanon that the Turaga deliberately selected Matoran they thought were likely to become Toa for the Kohlii teams, and the training that comes with it is composed of skills a Toa might need ( e.g. staying focused balancing on a pole? Actually useless for playing kohlii, but the mental discipline it cultivates can be useful for someone with powers.) So there is likely to be something that translates to fighting skills.

Nuparu- nope. Whenua did NOT see that one coming. Sorry dude.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

On 10/1/2021 at 12:19 AM, Lenny7092 said:

there are times where Toa fight without their weapons, masks, and elemental powers. What do you think they would do about it?

In a 2015 promo video, Tahu did some kung fu when he was fighting the Skull Spiders while surfing on lava (I know that video is not canon, but yes).
In Time Trap, when Vakama’s jet-pack got destroyed, he used his brain to stop Makuta Teridax rather than kicking his butt (probably because Teridax was too dangerous to have his butt kicked). 
When The Toa Nuva lost their elemental powers because of the Bohrok-Kal, they used their brains to defeat them when the Bohrok-Kal were trying to use the Nuva Cube. 
It’s possible that the Toa Hordika would do hand-to-hand combat since they were half-animals.

I think you answered your own question

14 hours ago, Alyska said:

e.g. staying focused balancing on a pole? Actually useless for playing kohlii

I'm not so sure about that. Balance would be an important skill in a sport where you can try out unconventional moves. Or maybe that posture is used in conventional Kohlii tactics, à la Karate Kid (I think balancing on a pole even ended up being the most pivotal skill in that movie).

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

When I think of fantasy adventures, I don't think of fisticuffs. Choreographed fight scenes with cool weapons is one of the best parts of fights in franchises like Bionicle. That's not saying it was never, or should never have been, part of it. In particular, the way the Web of Shadows movie gave the Toa Hordika one weapon fused to their arm arguably makes them entirely hand-to-hand fighters. Presumably, most Toa are fully capable of fighting both with and without weapons, through a mix of proper training or experience. I imagine fighting with tools is preferred because of their utility (most Toa tools have secondary uses) and they seem to augment their power to a degree.

As for hand-to-hand combat vs. elemental powers, why would any Toa favor physical combat? What benefit is there to punching someone in the face when you can shoot fire or electricity at him from a distance?

As to elemental powers vs. "using your brain", the most competent Toa in the series always look for unexpected uses of their powers. Even though it ended up being unsuccessful, Tahu's attempt to trap Panrahk in that column of heat was a good idea.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 10/2/2021 at 6:50 AM, Taria Pakari said:

Nuparu at least has the benefit of being an Onu-Toa, so he could slap people a bit harder than the others. :v

Onu-Toa don't have any extra strength, that's Po-Toa. 

• Upvote 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Another interesting thing about the Nuva is that they sometimes use their elements as one would a limb, e.g. Gali has been known to make fists out of water and punch stuff, Pohatu does the same with stone. We haven’t seen Toa from other teams do this as far as I recall, so it may be unique to them.

So my guess is that Hydraxon not only trained them in hand to hand combat, but used it as the basis of elemental attacks as well. 

Another explanation is that, depending on how you imagine the Toa Mata looking, some or all of them may not have had proper hands before they became Nuva. Gali may have just learned to use her element as prostheses for mundane tasks and later realised she could throw punches with the same trick.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

2 hours ago, Alyska said:

We haven’t seen Toa from other teams do this as far as I recall, so it may be unique to them.

I'm pretty sure the Inika did it too. Keep in mind that we haven't really seen Toa from other teams do much at all. 

Edited by Lorentz

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2021 at 8:23 PM, Master Inika said:

In particular, the way the Web of Shadows movie gave the Toa Hordika one weapon fused to their arm arguably makes them entirely hand-to-hand fighters.

They became one with their weapons.

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

• 4 weeks later...