The Life and Death of Galidor

The last episode of season three of the Bits N' Bricks podcast released today, and it's a great finale! Hosts Ethan Vincent and Brian Crecente discuss the origins, launch, and failure of Galidor and the associated videogames surrounding it in Episode 37 - The Surreal History of LEGO Galidor, and boy did I learn some things! There's a bunch of fantastic guests to talk about the journey, including long-time LEGO Designer Niels Milan Pedersen, Galidor TV show director Tom Lynch, Galidor web developer Gabriel Walsh, Galidor electronics engineer Lau Kierstein, Galidor game developer Nick Ferguson, and creator of the Ong's Hat alternate-reality game Joseph Matheny. What does an ARG have to do with Galidor? You'll just have to listen to find out! It's a pretty amazing episode that's worth it for the information and insight!

View the full article

Well, surreal was definitely an accurate way to describe the brief history of Galidor, according to this episode. I do remember back in 2002 seeing ads for the TV series, and while I was interested at the time to see it, somehow I never got an opportunity to actually watch any of it (and in hindsight, that may have been for the best). The way I see it after what I've learned from this episode, Galidor involved so many interconnected aspects that just one of them being lackluster was enough to doom the entire franchise. Can't say I'm surprised there are a few people these days that are still fond of Galidor (that's to be expected for almost anything that flops on initial release), and while there's certainly some interesting concepts that were apparently quite ahead of their time, I think the consequences of such a failure may have ultimately benefited the rest of the Lego Company in the long run.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

I don't know how to feel about Galidor, the toys were freaky is all I know, but it is great to see fans of a defunct theme that never got the cult following that Bionicle did.

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.