favourite turaga or turaga team

1. Lhikan - he taught the toa metru how to use their powers, and sacrificed himself for the good of others. I hope he's doing good on the red star.

2. the Turaga of mata nui - served as leaders to their villages, while also mentoring the toa. But the reason i put them under lhikan, is that they kept too many secrets from the matoran and toa. Yes, lhikan hide his identity, but he being the chad he is had a good reason for it.

3. Protectors - The protectors are interesting. They were not just tasked with leading the okotans, from the name, before the toa arived, they were tasked with protecting the okotans. They weren't ever toa, as the only toa in okoto we know of are the masters and ekimu, but rather they are like the other okotans, they're just a tiny bit taller, and have machine guns and stuff. We also see the protector of jungle have a family in the graphic novels, so that's cute.

4. Ekimu - He was the leader of okoto for probably thousands of years, and along with his brother created masks for the people of okoto. After they revived him, he helped the toa on their quest, becoming a toa in the process, but reverting back later. The interesting thing about ekimu, is that he was a turaga first, and then a toa (and then turaga again)

5. the Rahaga - teached the toa hordika, and helped them find keetongu. Later got transformed back into toa, because while they were turaga like beings, they haven't fulfilled their destiny as toa yet.

6. Dume - we don't know much about dume, other than he was the leader of metru nui, and that he may have mentored lhikan (NOT 100% CONFIRMED) like other turaga, he kept a secret or few too. 

7. Jovan - like dume, we don't know much about his time as turaga. But he did lead the part of the southern continent that would become voya nui, so i guess that's cool.

notes: i only rate their carrier as turaga/rahaga/protectors, so what they did as toa doesn't matter here.

inspired by Lenny7092's post

wanabe turaga like ekimu, protectors and rahaga count too

whilst G2 Makuta was of the same species and for a time had the same role as ekimu, he became evil during his time in office, so i don't count him

fell free to say your opinion in the comments

Edited by MR.StrawBerry13

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have to agree with confused piraka - the Turaga of Mata Nui are just about the only group thats genuinely characterized, and I would say they're my favorite besides that. I think they run a really good story about unlike characters uniting, learning to trust each other, and ultimately making significant sacrifices for the betterment of their people. I think 2004 had some of the strongest story in that regard.

This is not to say I dislike any of the others. Lhikan is, to me, probably the next best character. His narrative weight alone expands far beyond his own life, in a way that would have been fun to explore a little more than canon had. He has such excellent construction in his emotional build. I could write a minor dissertation about how his theme music in Legends of Metru Nui alone serves as a wonderful reflection of who he is.

The Rahaga are extremely interesting, though I think just due to the fact they weren't ever really able to hold significant space to themselves in the story, they fall behind a bit. This isn't really anyone's fault I think - Greg did a lot to continue their story in the serials. I just think we saw them at their most interesting in 2005, especially in the back story of them being Hagah. Just the idea of them bravely revolting against the Brotherhood is very endearing to me. I'd probably have more feeling if we got to see more of their journey against the Visorak and some of their interaction with the Turaga upon returning to Metru Nui.

Dume feels like a missed opportunity - I sort of wish we had nearly any time to characterize him. The difference in his ruling versus the way the Turaga led on Mata Nui is SO worth discussing, especially in the way that Dume has become a stranger to the people he once lead for thousands of years. Unfortunate we never really got to see his thoughts on that. Thanks, Teridax.

Ekimu was an interesting concept for G2 - I really liked his role in the backstory and in the 2015 story. I really haven't interfaced much with what happened in Journey to One or the remainder of the 2016 story - mainly I think because I never finished that collection of sets. Can't speak to that much. Most of my issue with the concept of Ekimu comes from my distate of how Makuta was handled as a villain. He absolutely should have been played as a well-meaning person who became corrupted, which they sort of just don't do later. Upsetting for sure.

The Protectors had fun designs, and  I think were a good way of merging villager and elder into a concept that's a little less basic than wise elder. Design-wise, they all rocked - though Narmoto is definitely my least favorite, being just a bit too bulky in the upper body. Korgot fit for sure, as a brawnier design, plus her chest cannon was very neat. Storywise, I think they fit their roles reasonably well. Just not as impactful given the less story-driven aspect of G2.

• Like 3

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I honestly really liked Dume because he was one of the few characters in Bionicle who really went against the stereotypes associated with his status/species. Generally Turaga are portrayed as enigmatic, sometimes a little eccentric, but ultimately wise and insightful. 

In contrast, though, Dume was almost a straight-up villain.

He was ruthless and conceited, unwilling to compromise on anything. He ran his city like a police state, oppressing and borderline-enslaving the Matoran he was supposed to protect. He was so stubborn and prideful that he straight-up states that would rather let the entire city be destroyed than even pretend to accept help from the Dark Hunters. I would've loved to see him get some kind of comeuppance when the Turaga Metru and Matoran returned to the city, though I suppose the fact that barely anyone remembers what he did would've made it difficult to punish him.

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

On 2/6/2023 at 11:41 PM, T.B.O.C said:

I have to agree with confused piraka - the Turaga of Mata Nui are just about the only group thats genuinely characterized, and I would say they're my favorite besides that. I think they run a really good story about unlike characters uniting, learning to trust each other, and ultimately making significant sacrifices for the betterment of their people. I think 2004 had some of the strongest story in that regard.

Word.

And I agree - if I could have expanded content on Lhikan's team and the Toa Hagah (pre-mutation), that would be sweet. I think Jovan's team and Lesovikk's team also would be interesting, both set in an earlier MU and the fact that they purportedly had non-traditional elements represented. But character-wise, I'd definitely like to see more of the Toa Mangai. And that said, now that I think about it, I'd also love more stories of the early Toa Mata on Daxia and in Karda Nui.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:43 AM, Nato G said:

I honestly really liked Dume because he was one of the few characters in Bionicle who really went against the stereotypes associated with his status/species. Generally Turaga are portrayed as enigmatic, sometimes a little eccentric, but ultimately wise and insightful. 

In contrast, though, Dume was almost a straight-up villain.

He was ruthless and conceited, unwilling to compromise on anything. He ran his city like a police state, oppressing and borderline-enslaving the Matoran he was supposed to protect. He was so stubborn and prideful that he straight-up states that would rather let the entire city be destroyed than even pretend to accept help from the Dark Hunters. I would've loved to see him get some kind of comeuppance when the Turaga Metru and Matoran returned to the city, though I suppose the fact that barely anyone remembers what he did would've made it difficult to punish him.

I think there was a bit about how Dume chose to stay in ruined Metru Nui to slowly fix the city with his little Kiril while everybody else migrated topside. I think that says something, whether it be dedication to the city itself, or his idea of recompense, or dodging leadership responsibility, or what have you. 

I definitely agree that how he ran Metru Nui was very different than how the Turaga Metru had their Koros set up, but how much of that difference in lifestyle and governance stems from geography? Smaller villages of Matoran who are largely focused on survival and have limited technology and contact with one another seem easier to govern than the paragon metropolis at top of the world. 

I'll have to go back and read the story parts about the Kanohi Dragon and stuff, I remember really liking it. I know I'd like to interpret his refusing help from the Dark Hunters as a matter of principle and maybe common sense (the Piraka don't strike me as particularly savvy ambassadors to forge an alliance? but who knows, maybe Dume was just racist against Skakdi). Of course, how I'd like to interpret things only matters so much, and you may be totally right. 

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Keep in mind, the Dark Hunters were the ones who released the Kanohi Dragon in the first place. You can't fault him for not letting the city be extorted.

But I do appreciate what a complex character Dume was. You have to consider, he was Metru Nui's only Turaga. I don't think it was the case that he was mean whereas the Turaga of Mata Nui were nice, he just didn't have the time to go be everyone's friend.

That being said, it is interesting how, even if he wasn't evil, Makuta acting like him in disguise didn't really set off anyone's radars, either.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

8 hours ago, confused piraka said:

were there supposed to be 6 Turaga in Metru nui?

I don't believe so. I think Metru Nui was always ever overseen by a singular Turaga (I believe there's at least one unnamed predecessor to Dume, as well as Dume himself). I think the first time they had multiple leaders was when the Matoran returned to Metru Nui with their Turaga. I think Greg's stated before that six Turaga made more sense on Mata Nui as the villages were very separated - far apart and quite frankly much more beset upon than the individual Metru had been. The Koro benefitted from having individual leaders to oversee the villagers and promote relationships between villages, since they all has respect for each other.

• Like 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!