Designing the Ultimate LEGO Sandbox

Another Wednesday means a new episode of the fantastic Bricks N' Bits podcast; this time around looking into the creation of LEGO Worlds. In Season 4, Episode 44 - Creating Worlds With LEGO Bricks, Ethan Vincent and Brian Crecente sit down with Cephas Howard, former director of innovation in digital at the LEGO Group, John Hodskinson, game director on LEGO Worlds, and Mark Engley, lead game mechanics programmer at TT Games, to discuss how the failed project with Minecraft led in part to the creation of Worlds, the different directions they considered going, and how they ended up where they did. I enjoyed hearing about the pitch video which almost canceled the project before it even started! I'm going to miss the podcast when they wrap up this season, and I definitely recommend everyone give it a listen.

View the full article

Back when I listened to the first episode that talked about the failed Lego Minecraft game, I had thought the brief mention of Lego Worlds near the end of it would be all we would get about it from this series, so I was very pleased to have this episode focusing specifically on Lego Worlds. As a gamer on Steam, I certainly remember when Lego Worlds first became available on Early Access, but I didn't bother getting it myself, as I had yet to find the time and opportunity to try any of the other Lego games I had just purchased back then, and since I didn't really feel like playing what was essentially an incomplete game at the time, I figured I could wait until the full release before trying it, and in hindsight, I feel like I made the right choice for my preferences in gaming. One thing not mentioned in this episode is that new content stopped being added to the game at least a couple years after full release, so in a way, what you can get with the game today is pretty much its final version, though it's still a great game to play. Overall, I love listening to episodes that focus on some of my favorite Lego games, and this one was no different.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.