Happy 20th anniversary, Bionicle’s 2002 story arc!

Lenny7092

Hi, guys! This year is Bionicle’s 2002 story arc’s 20th anniversary. It is a sequel where the Toa Mata, who have collected the Golden Kanohi and defeated Makuta Teridax and the Infected Rahi, fighting against round, chicken-like robotic destroyers called Bohrok. They were awakened by Makuta to attack people of the island of Mata Nui. The Bohrok want to destroy the island of Mata Nui. The Toa have to collect a specimen from each of all 48 different kinds of Krana from the Bohrok. Along the way, a Matoran named Nuparu (who was going to be in a video game called Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui, but that game got cancelled) invented mechs called Boxors that can defeat Bohrok. That makes things easier for the Toa. After the Toa collected the Krana, they found their own mechs called Exo-Toa and then used to try to defeat the Bohrok’s twin queens called the Bahrag, who are the main antagonists of the story arc. However, the Bahrag are too powerful, the armor does not let the Toa use their elemental powers, which are the Toa’s only hope, so the Toa shed their armor to be able to Sue their powers. They defeat the Bahrag by combining their powers to form a Toa Seal to imprison them. Then, the Toa accidentally touched a magical substance called Energized Protodermis, which enhances the Toa into the Toa Nuva, whose weapons have two functions, one for fighting and one for traveling. Due to the defeat of the Bahrag, the Bohrok swarms are defeated. However, the Bahrag awakens the Bohrok-Kal to have them free the Bahrag from their prison. 

The Mata Nui Online Game in 2001 hinted the coming of the Bohrok, which is of course foreshadowing. 

The Krana are rubbery mask pieces. They can be worn like Kanohi, but they are different in some ways. Bohrok are the first villain canister sets, even though they are not actually evil. They are also the first swarm canister set enemies. The Bohrok-Kal are shaped exactly like the Bohrok, even though they are a team of six rather than types (why not do types when there are 48 different kinds of Krana-Kal?). 

We also get the Rahi Master Builder, where you can build one of 15 Rahi species (why not do all 15 to co-exist?) and the Golden Kanohi in set packages (why not did that in 2001?). 

I wrote this before: 15th anniversary . In my experience, I like the Bohrok. They’re cool because of their ability to turn into a ball and use their heads to attack like chickens. I also love the head-jabbing function of the Bahrag, even if it could damage their gears if you are not careful. The Boxor and Exo-Toa are awesome because they are mechs, as you can fir Matoran and Toa in there, respectively. It’s also fun to have those trays in the Bohrok’s heads and the Bohrok Va’s backs fling Krana at their targets. I love the Toa Nuva’s looks, though I am not fond of the different arm pieces or how their Toa Kaita look. Why can’t the Toa Nuva Kaita be like the Toa Kaita in 2001? The Toa Kaita look better. Plus, it is not easy to fit Onua Mata, Onua, Nuva, Pohatu Mata, or Pohatu Nuva into the Exo-Toa. You gotta rebuild them to do so. You could fit Takanuva from 2003 into the Exo-Toa, right? It’s also weird that Nuparu have two same arms rather than different ones that the Matoran in 2001 had, but you can have Nuparu have two different arms. 

In that book called Prisoners of the Pit and that story serial called Toa Nuva Blog in 2007, they featured the Bohrok swarms, probably to celebrate the 2002 story arc’s 5th anniversary. It is revealed that the swarms are not evil. They have to destroy the island of Mata Nui to help the Great Spirit Mata Nui awaken. It’s just that Makuta had prematurely awakened the Bohrok to attack the island’s people in the 2002 story arc. Since people are out of the island, the Toa Nuva willingly let the swarms destroy the island, so they can reawaken the Great Spirit. In that book called Swamp of Secrets, it is revealed that the Bohrok were once Av-Matoran, who are destined to become the Bohrok. 

Anyway, it is a good story arc. I wish there is a console video game and a Mata Nui Online Game based on the story arc. Well, there is that fan game called Mata Nui Online Game 1.5: The Bohrok Wars, but that game hasn’t been updated, so its story is not finished. It was sad to see Lewa having a Krana controlling his mind, but Onua was there to save him. It was also sad that the Toa did not trust Lewa because the Krana gave him the ability to telepathically read the Bohrok’s minds, but Lewa proved that he is not controlled by the Krana or the Bahrag, so the Toa trust him again. The story arc is also where we first meet Hahli (another Matoran from The Legend of Mata Nui), a Ga-Matoran who is good friends with Jaller. Hewkii and Macku are shown to have a special friendship, but Greg Farshtey said that love between Matoran Universe people is not canon because they are robots who can’t reproduce, which is understandable. 

So, guys, what are your fond memories of the story arc, what do you like about it, what’s your favorite 2002 set, favorite character(s) in 2002, favorite moment in the story arc, and/or how would you celebrate it? For me, well, my favorite sets are the Bohrok, Exo-Toa, Bahrag, Tahu Nuva, Lewa Nuva, Kopaka Nuva, and Onua Nuva, and my favorite characters are Tahu, Lewa, Onua, Nuparu, and the Bahrag. :)

Edited by Lenny7092
Forgot something.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I really wish they did a little more with the Exo-Toa. Instead of just abandoning them, the Bahrag should have destroyed them. Would have been way more dramatic. 

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

Their head jab like chickens. Plus, they have pudgy and round bodies. Some people describe the Bohrok as looking like beetles.

Yeah they're supposed to be "insect-like" but they clearly resemble plump little fowls.

• Like 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2022 at 8:32 PM, Lenny7092 said:

Their head jab like chickens. Plus, they have pudgy and round bodies. Some people describe the Bohrok as looking like beetles.

Their heads are much larger than chickens', though, and they have pretty big arms whereas chickens (like all birds) only have wings.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:31 PM, Bambi said:

In all fairness, they do make a slight comeback in the Bohrok-Kal arc.

Ha, comeback. Back to Gahlok-Kal.

• Upvote 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

19 hours ago, Sir Kohran said:

Their heads are much larger than chickens', though, and they have pretty big arms whereas chickens (like all birds) only have wings.

Thanks for pointing out that chickens, like all birds, only have wings. I hadn't considered that. Another good point to remember is that Bohrok are mechanical destruction drones whereas chickens are small, fluffy, food factories. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lorentz said:

Thanks for pointing out that chickens, like all birds, only have wings. I hadn't considered that. Another good point to remember is that Bohrok are mechanical destruction drones whereas chickens are small, fluffy, food factories. 

That’s dark in the bottom, buddy. 

19 hours ago, Sir Kohran said:

Well, the Bohrok’s shields make their arms look wide, like a chicken’s wings.

26 minutes ago, Lenny7092 said:

That’s dark in the bottom, buddy. 

I'm not familiar with made-up idioms, can you please explain? Hens lay an egg every day. They're food factories.

1 hour ago, Lorentz said:

I'm not familiar with made-up idioms, can you please explain? Hens lay an egg every day. They're food factories.

Oh, I thought you meant chicken being cooked as food. Lol. Sorry about that. 
Anyway, I had a fan theory where the Bahrag can create Bohrok, which is like chickens laying their eggs, lol, but it is actually Av-Matoran who become Bohrok.

Yeah, even the Bahrag are chicken-like

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

Oh, I thought you meant chicken being cooked as food.

That checks out too.

16 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Yeah, even the Bahrag are chicken-like

The Bahrag seem more lizard-like. Like the British royal family.

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:49 AM, Lorentz said:

Yeah they're supposed to be "insect-like" but they clearly resemble plump little fowls.

Awwwww, you nailed it! <3  *Bohrok adoration intensifies* The reds so resemble Golden Comet hennies, especially the young ones. I can testify that their mannerisms mirror that of henkind, at least with the swarming behavior. "Clean it all" would be a accurate hen sentiment when they storm and strip the meat from banana peels. Or anything within their reach. Especially styrofoam. :bored:IMG_2794.jpg.7df6dcab8f61f8acb9cc22b4b83216b1.jpg

IMG_20220108_173923_239_kindlephoto-1404126320.jpg

IMG_20220108_173917_499_kindlephoto-1404104898.jpg

Edited by Mushy the Mushroom
Must be cleaned.
  • Like 2

goldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpgIMG_7223(2).jpg.62624129031c1e2fd7df50d70b18f765.jpggoldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpg

IMG_0692.GIF.3309bb29bcc7460f3b8786a87af44771.png.da7133cb92dbb2189370ddfa6f4d46de.png Member-Made Emote Topic h.jpg.3e4ad884a1ceef85d03b81b5df0c09ef.jpg

Original Mush art thanks to @Bambi

Those are some odd looking bionicles 

• Upvote 1

In regards to bohrok it was very creepy when av-matoran were revealed to have "potential destiny" to become a bohrok instead of a toa of light life. Think about how many matoran were destroyed in 2002, that's hardcore fringe horror for a kids toyline.

When the av-matorans become mechanical shells for the krana. Or the krana part of their memories and the is type of krana pre-determined from their personality... or do the start as empty shells?

On 1/4/2022 at 3:32 PM, Lenny7092 said:

Their head jab like chickens. Plus, they have pudgy and round bodies. 

On 1/4/2022 at 9:53 PM, Fyndegil said:

ngl "chicken-like robotic destroyers" is actually a pretty apt term for Bohrok.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:49 AM, Lorentz said:

20 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Those are some odd looking bionicles 

True, yes, fixed. Biohencle/biochickle. ^_^

IMG_2841.thumb.jpg.2976fdbe554dc88055a746f14cb6ba74.jpg

Also, finally read topic instead of just giggling over hennas: My favorite 2002 sets are the Bohrok, but unfortunately I got into Bionicle late and have little knowledge about the early story/sets.
  • Like 2

goldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpgIMG_7223(2).jpg.62624129031c1e2fd7df50d70b18f765.jpggoldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpg

IMG_0692.GIF.3309bb29bcc7460f3b8786a87af44771.png.da7133cb92dbb2189370ddfa6f4d46de.png Member-Made Emote Topic h.jpg.3e4ad884a1ceef85d03b81b5df0c09ef.jpg

On 1/10/2022 at 5:55 PM, Lorentz said:

CURSED IMAGE

ezgif-3-932d9fce6c.gif.de09819db6c6b718571563b29981714e.gif

Mwhahahaha, done in your wording's honor. :lol:

Also, to stay on topic, I suppose I hope to celebrate this year in Bionicle as the x-year anniversary of personally getting into the fandom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 12:32 PM, Lenny7092 said:

They always looked more insectoid to me, but not like beetles. The heads in particular are more reminiscent of a bee or an ant.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 7:29 PM, The Master of Energy said:

They always looked more insectoid to me, but not like beetles. The heads in particular are more reminiscent of a bee or an ant.

I get that, but I think they're beetlelike in the sense of having armor. Which, I know all bugs kind of do, but ants and bees are slightly but still visibly more human-looking. Whenever there are humanized animals, beetles are always "bruiser"-types more than other bugs.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!