The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

Good point...I do admit it was a bit too brash.That aside, does any of them resemble Opeth?

Edited by DARKSIDERZ

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

okay seriously what the heckI said "lol" and nothing more on the subjectsudden condescending lecture full of assumptions and near-insultsmy god, you are the most defensive person I have ever met.

This topic was made for the purpose of connecting Metal fans on BZPower, so let's just keep it to that level, and we can have heated, lengthy discussions on whatever bugs you somewhere else.

oh, is that what it was made for? I didn't know despite being the one who started it.anyway seconding the Amon Amarth recommendation.

I'm sorry if I did offend you, but that is how scurrilous "lol" was to me. I'm not sure how I can make amends to you for "near-insult"ing you, nor am I sure why I did it, it's just that my instinctive chauvinism urged me to say things I shouldn't have. But since we are done airing our grievances, any specific albums you would like to suggest?

Edited by DARKSIDERZ

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

you may dig Woods of Ypres, though their two final albums were more clean singing than harsh vox so it may not be exactly what you're looking for.If you do want something sorta Opeth-ish, Katatonia is a good way to go. The first album (Dance of December Souls) had some blasphemous lyrics, not sure if the second (Brave Murder Day) did but Mikael Akerfeldt did most of the vocals on it as a favor to the band. Everything since the second album has been more melodic gothic metal, all (amazing) clean singing, but still reeeally good if you want something moody and thoughtful. The most recent albums are sorta reminiscent of a less heavy, less "extreme" Opeth.for specific albums.. try The Jester Race by In Flames, Fiction by Dark Tranquillity, One for Sorrow by Insomnium, either Human or Symbolic by Death, and Night Is the New Day by Katatonia.

Edited by Eucliwood

Ok...Will try my best to catch up.... Thanks for your insightful recommendations; if all goes well I'll be able to make it halfway into the list by next fall!!! :P :P

I came here looking for some inspiration. I am somehow a death-metally kind of guy. Imainly listen to Opeth (my all-time favorite),, some As I Lay Dying, didn't like Trivium that much, only one album by Disturbed (Asylum-loved it despite not being quite metally), also into A7X (not as metally as the rest, though). Any good idea on decent death metal (mainly melodic and can include some Mikael-Akerfeldt-groany vocals) and some progressive? But nothing too blasphemic or the likes; it gets stupid for me IMHO because religion should not be mocked or hated (just my opinion). I despise Lamb of God for that reason, but I really dig their instrumental styles.So any ideas to expand my horizons a bit? FTR I just downloaded some stuff for Skeletonwitch, Anubis Gate, Arch Enemy, Eyes Set to Kill, Dawn of Ashes, Warbringer and a few others. What should I start with?

To be honest, I would not try any of the bands already mentioned apart from In Flames, Dark Tranquility and (late) Death. I will however add these:All That Remains (melodic death metal/metalcore)Arsis (technical/melodic death metal)At The Gates (melodic death metal)Carcass (melodic death metal; post Heartwork)Cynic (death metal/jazz)Darkest Hour (melodic death metal/deathcore)Divine Heresy (melodic death metal)Frozen Eternity (melodic death metal)Heaven Shall Burn (melodic/technical death metal)Human Error (melodic death metal) Parasite Inc. (melodic death metal)Septic Flesh (symphonic death metal)Shade Empire (melodic death metal/industrial metal/black metal)Sylosis (melodic death metal/thrash metal)System Divide (melodic death metal)If you want something harder, just ask.

sykurafire.jpg

The Agonist would probably be right up your alley, and Blood Stain Child is a really fun Japanese band that blends melodic death metal with electronica and J-pop. They're a bit more upbeat and not really dark by any means, but they're fun to listen to.

On that note, Red Bacteria Vacuum. Weirdly hilarious.

Okay, another bundle to add to the ever-expanding list. Thanks! At this rate my laptop will be full in no time! I will check them out as soon as I'm free, coz you know, exams are on the way and stuff... Thanks again!

Sci-Fi Crimes was hit-and-miss for me. It had some songs I thought were reeeally good, and others that I just thought were really dull.On the other hand, I loved Hats Off to the Bull. Best album since Wonder What's Next in my opinion, although it doesn't come close to topping it.

Edited by Eucliwood

DARKSIDERZ, protip: try them anyway, regardless of what Sykura says.

Considering you like Lordi and Demon Hunter, I think that renders anything you have to say about metal invalid. :P
why do people keep saying I like LordiI hate Lordi, seriously, what the heckand Demon Hunter is just the occasional song or album listen for nostalgic purposes.but whatever.

God, do I love Sci-Fi Crimes.-Teezy

Also why was this post ignored. Absolutely, man.
<3333333I haven't listened to Hats Off to The Bull yet. Your thoughts on it?-Teezy
I gave my thoughts a few pages back, but I don't expect anybody to look that far XP.It's a great album, but it's not as ambitious as Crimes was. A lot safer overall. Reminded me much more of Vena Sera (which I consider to be them at their most generic =P) than anything else. I prefer Crimes overall because it's so whacky and off-the-wall, like they don't particularly care what they're doing. Hats is more focused, but less carefree, and I just end up liking it a bit less.That said, it's still ridiculously catchy and listenable. I put off listening to it for like, two months and hated myself for it.Also if you're going to judge, expect to be judged. Edited by Dorek

why do people keep saying I like LordiI hate Lordi, seriously, what the heckand Demon Hunter is just the occasional song or album listen for nostalgic purposes.but whatever.

Oh. I was pretty sure that you liked them too. This is indeed strange...Anyway, my previous comment still stands. :P

sykurafire.jpg

I still like a few metalcore bands like The Agony Scene, All That Remains, Heaven Shall Burn, and Bleeding Through but I listen mostly to melodeath, tech-death, doom, and groove nowadays.and some "traditional" death and grindcore like Obituary, Bolt Thrower, and Napalm Death.

Edited by Eucliwood

Guardians was okay as far as deathcore goes, but I really stopped caring about TCA when I realized what a tool Saud Ahmed is. I did give Conviction a single listen just out of curiosity, and that pretty much nailed the coffin shut completely.unrelated I saw The Black Dahlia Murder and Suicide Silence CDs at Walmart of all places, what the heck

Edited by Eucliwood

Well that is understandable.Besides, I thought you were the guy that likes all that "metal"core Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6, haha.

no that's me!
Yeah, but you like deathcore, which at least draws vaguely on real metal, not "let's downtune and scream! The chicks will love it combined with our emo haircuts and matching sleeves." I could have sworn there was one guy who was into Asking Alexandria, etc...Oh and I like Varg and agree with many of his views, just for the record. Edited by Hahli Husky

sykurafire.jpg

I have very few friends anyway, which does not bother me in the slightest. As a general rule, I despise people. It is nothing against you personally; just the fact that you exist.And you are obviously not going to make friends being an elitist at a Job for a Cowboy show. Go try it at a Putrid Mastication show and the reaction will be different.

sykurafire.jpg

Well I was referring to the fact that a lot of deathcore fans consider it to be a legitimate form of metal, and as such, shall defend it.Honestly, say what you want about "elitists" and "posers," but the fact of the matter is that all of tehse stereotypes are based in fact; they are not just made up.

sykurafire.jpg