The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

So, as Classic Rock Magazine reports:

Former Dio guitarist Vivian Campbell has revealed plans to reboot the original lineup of Dio, with new singer Andy Freeman who he vows will “do justice” to the fallen frontman’s legacy.

Usually I'm not one to be cynical about this sort of stuff, but I'm really not liking this...

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I think he is calling it Dio, at least that's what I got from it. They'll be doing gigs with songs from the first few albums.Thing is, we already have Dio Disciples and they are enough, and at least they were all friends with Ronnie when he died. Campbell and Ronnie were very far from getting along.

Edited by -Malchior-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

So, as Classic Rock Magazine reports:

Former Dio guitarist Vivian Campbell has revealed plans to reboot the original lineup of Dio, with new singer Andy Freeman who he vows will “do justice” to the fallen frontman’s legacy.

Usually I'm not one to be cynical about this sort of stuff, but I'm really not liking this...

I think he is calling it Dio, at least that's what I got from it. They'll be doing gigs with songs from the first few albums.Thing is, we already have Dio Disciples and they are enough, and at least they were all friends with Ronnie when he died. Campbell and Ronnie were very far from getting along.

... just read about this right now - and I don't like it, either. =/ Not at all.And now for something completely different; has anyone in here ever heard of the band Mandatory?(Juuust curious)

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

A question: What exactly are the differences between rock music and metal music? If Linkin Park isn't metal but Dream Theater is, I must have a misconception of metal in my mind.

"Because LINKIN PARK SUCKS BECAUSE THEY'RE NU METAL!"That would be an initial-er-Metal fan who doesn't like Nuer stuff (see what I did there?).For example: I think Pantera has some of the most meaningful lyrics I've heard of. I don't even listen to the music anymore, I listen to the words outta Phil's mouth. Even though opinions can't be wrong (or right), what other regulars on this topic say make my opinions seem like they're the wrongest one they've heard.Another one: Pop, Rap, and Country aren't music to me, but the stupid masses somehow enjoy it.

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

A question: What exactly are the differences between rock music and metal music? If Linkin Park isn't metal but Dream Theater is, I must have a misconception of metal in my mind.

"Because LINKIN PARK SUCKS BECAUSE THEY'RE NU METAL!"That would be an initial-er-Metal fan who doesn't like Nuer stuff (see what I did there?).For example: I think Pantera has some of the most meaningful lyrics I've heard of. I don't even listen to the music anymore, I listen to the words outta Phil's mouth. Even though opinions can't be wrong (or right), what other regulars on this topic say make my opinions seem like they're the wrongest one they've heard.Another one: Pop, Rap, and Country aren't music to me, but the stupid masses somehow enjoy it.
Okay, to begin with, 'Is Linkin Park a good band?' and 'Is Linkin Park Nu-metal?' aren't his question at all. He's questioning the distinctions between rock and metal, which is honestly a pretty confusing and ultimately fairly blurred line, and someone more well-versed in metal than me should probably answer that. I'm not going to address that in this post.What I am going to address is the last part of your response.You can't say that a genre of music 'isn't music' because you don't like it. Pop, country, and hip-hop/rap are all valid forms of music. I dislike country music intensely. That doesn't make it unmusical. Music is a form of art using sound as a medium, and every form of it is completely valid. Harsh noise is music. Dark ambient is music. 4'33" is music. And claiming that metal or rock or whatever style is more 'meaningful' than another doesn't validate your claims. Even Ke$ha is meaningful to someone.And, for the record, 'stupid masses' do not enjoy pop, hip-hop, and country. People enjoy music, not 'stupid masses' and liking a different genre doesn't give you the right to claim that someone who doesn't is 'stupid'. Saying that people who enjoy something popular that you don't like are wrong and stupid for liking it doesn't make you edgy or subversive, it just makes you shallow and nasty.So: how about you stop complaining that we don't all agree with you and actually talk about how we all like the genre this topic is devoted to? Here, I'll start.Finally got around to listening to The Great Misdirect in full. It might be my favorite BTBAM album.

I didn't even consider those questions. I wasn't answering what wasn't there. I was trying to give my view on the misconceptions of music (Metal in his post). I wasn't complaining, I was just giving an example I know people have opinions, and their lives are changed because of meaning in music. It could even save people who are going to kill themselves.Eh, no point in arguing. I'm probably not gonna win.Carry on.

Led Zeppelin?

So I'm going to the Trespass America tour.SUPER STOKED

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

Pop, Rap, and Country aren't music to me, but the stupid masses somehow enjoy it.

Oh joy, I've been waiting for a change to use this image:11903625.jpgNow that that's out of my system: Carry on with. .. whatever.
I also dislike Pop.I loke some Rap, so you're image is a little invalid.Sorry.So, I'm going to get Vulgar Display of Power pretty soon, I guess. Can't really wait! (I can since I can get it within the next month.)

Led Zeppelin?

lol @ getting rly sensitive over people liking music you don'tanyway last night was pretty bombin'Emmure was great as expected, LMTF were pretty good too. Found out about a few cool underground pop-punk bands too but that's not the point of this topic. The real winner was To Speak Of Wolves though, they were absolutely insane live, right up there with Letlive. in terms of pure entertainment value. I wasn't familiar with the material which sucked but they've definitely got a new fan.

nhsYE.jpg

Volbeat also mixes country in some of their stuff. I'm not a huge fan of those three genres Pantera listed, but there is some darn amazing pop out there and a lot of older country was pretty great too. I'll even admit to liking a slim few rap songs. However I have intense issues with most "pop" made in the last few years... while I won't deny that it's music, I can say there is not a single redeeming factor in it that I can find.Also LM got me into Katatonia recently, and I've heard... 4 of the six non-harsh albums. Pretty great band, but they don't change a whole lot.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

However I have intense issues with most "pop" made in the last few years... while I won't deny that it's music, I can say there is not a single redeeming factor in it that I can find.

it's catchy and easy to dance to? that's enough right therealso i met Frankie Palmeri - u guys mirin'?looking to check out Paradise Lost, what album should I start with? only stuff I've heard was from Host which I really enjoyed

So I'm going to the Trespass America tour.SUPER STOKED

wood go for emmure and killswitch/10 Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

looking to check out Paradise Lost, what album should I start with? only stuff I've heard was from Host which I really enjoyed

If you liked Host then you would probably like One Second. But I would recommend In Requiem or Draconian Times for a starting point.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

i just call it like i see it (or hear in this case). i still like it though!also oh man you guysi just found out about this incredible band called Allegaeon, they're like already a new favorite. imagine melodic death metal fused with tech death and sicks grooves tootheir new album Formshifter is face-meltingEDIT: post you guys c'maaaaaaaananyway there's a new Chelsea Grin song out called "Lilith", it's pretty decent. Musically they've vastly improved but there's a weird nu-metally vocal part near the beginning which sucks and a soaring clean chorus that comes off a little awkward. The chorus is growing on me slowly but I hope for their sake that the clean vocals are kept to a minimum on any future releases

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

anyway there's a new Chelsea Grin song out called "Lilith", it's pretty decent. Musically they've vastly improved but there's a weird nu-metally vocal part near the beginning which sucks and a soaring clean chorus that comes off a little awkward. The chorus is growing on me slowly but I hope for their sake that the clean vocals are kept to a minimum on any future releases

Actually, I really like "Lilith." Chelsea Grin have always been one of the few deathcore bands I can stand, and this just makes me like them even more. I have always loved death with clean vocals. I too have noticed the nu-metal influence in deathcore as of late; Whitechaple's new song (pretty good by the way) has spoken word parts, as do a couple of other generic rubbish bands I do not care for.Also, the new Cattle Decapitation is out: Monolith if Inhumanity. It is pretty much amazing in every way. Oh and Dying Fetus have a new song called "Subjected to a Beating" out now. Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

If you're going for Cynic, try some of their demos and maybe their first album. I'll admit, I know almost absolutely nothing about them, but you're looking for death metal it seems. I can assure you Traced In Air and later is not death. :PBut Traced in Air and Carbon-Based Anatomy are good either way.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

*slides in* Didn't even notice this... I'm a fan of Metal if it's Thrash or Hair Metal(I still don't get all these names for metal, but whatever.). I have been listening to some Symphonic Metal lately and have been enjoying it. I couldn't name the bands off the top of my head without my iPod, though. I'm slightly retarded in that aspect.

WIP