The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

Listened to Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding for the first time last night. It's really good and I'm upset with myself that I took so long to get it.In other news, Ozzy's current drummer, Tommy Clufetos, will be taking Bill Ward's place for the Black Sabbath shows and the new album. It's really quite disappointing that four grown men can't make an agreement and just make the music without money being an issue like they used to. Especially since Sabbath is nearing its end, and this is not a good way to go out.

Edited by -Tragic Idol-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

no breakdowns = not music

It seems you've made a typo. Here, lemme fix it for you.

no riffs = not music

There. :PSo for my birthday I got both of Jeff Loomis's albums. Pretty cool loot. Edited by ~Takava Nirhii~

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

Less than 2 weeks until FortaRock in the Netherlands.SlayerMachine HeadLamb of GodAnthraxTriviumMeshuggahSteel PantherThe Devin Townsend ProjectAsphyxNasumSólstafirBenightedI AM EXCITE

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

listened to Bring Me The Horizon for the first time.god what a terrible band. what is happening to metal?

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

Less than 2 weeks until FortaRock in the Netherlands.SlayerMachine HeadLamb of GodAnthraxTriviumMeshuggahSteel PantherThe Devin Townsend ProjectAsphyxNasumSólstafirBenightedI AM EXCITE

Very jealous of Devin Townsend, really want too see him live. I was unfortunately unable to go to any of the four shows over here in the UK last year, where he played a full Project album each show. Would have loved to see Deconstruction in full.

listened to Bring Me The Horizon for the first time.god what a terrible band. what is happening to metal?

Nothing is happening to it. It's just evolving as it has been since day one. There are far worse newer bands out there than Bring Me The Horizon, and far better ones, like Evile or Animals As Leaders, if you dug a bit deeper.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

i'm aware of stuff like Animals as Leaders, but the sad thing is that hardly any one else is, whereas all of these "hardcore" kids i see around constantly talk about trash like Bring me the Horizon. i want to know why the garbage is what becomes mainstream while amazing bands get looked over.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

It's pretty much always been that way. That kind of stuff is just more appealing to the teenage market. Why that is, I don't know.Though I've got to say that I thought BMTH's 2010 album was actually pretty good. The stuff before that was rubbish, but that album shows potential. But then again, I haven't listened to it since 2010, so can't really comment.

Edited by -Tragic Idol-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

lol @ getting buttmad over BMTH in 2012it's all about Asking Alexandria these days, BMTH is old news. no one even cares about them anymore. They were pretty good anyway, they deserved the fandom.also because the "better" bands are way more niche so not having popularity is to be expected. music is subjective, of course, but more people like hardcore influenced music than "look at all these notes i can play" so technical stuff is buried.also GIR i get Meshuggah is basically a breakdown entirely but the odd times signatures make it hard to mosh to which is basically the whole point of a breakdown. they're good and i respect their influence on the genre, but bands that take their tone and groove and make it moshable are far more entertaining to me at least.

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

also GIR i get Meshuggah is basically a breakdown entirely but the odd times signatures make it hard to mosh to which is basically the whole point of a breakdown. they're good and i respect their influence on the genre, but bands that take their tone and groove and make it moshable are far more entertaining to me at least.

all you gotta do is mosh to the cymbals thoughthe cymbals brothey're almost never in odd meterever

only in dreams.

i knowstill you need the whole packagealso a Meshuggah concert would more than likely be filled with no fun clubbersthe new Architects album leaked, it's great as was expected. Glad to see that THAN was just a fluke.also I like Asking Alexandria now (Reckless And Relentless at least, I still don't dig Stand Up And Scream). Have fun with that IMNs.

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

haven't seen that yet, but from what i heard it's basically just 3 music videos. will watch though because of thanosyou guys should check out this pretty great new band called Young And In The Way. they're like black metal mixed with crust punk. it's a legit combo. they're from around where i live, i'm hoping they get pretty big (well as big as a black metal band can get)

nhsYE.jpg

Valenti, I am jealous. Very jealous. I've been listening to a lot of Devin Townsend lately, I'd love to see him live.

Edited by ~Takava Nirhii~

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

^ Sweet, one more to look forward to this year.So on that note guys, what are your favourite releases this year so far? And while we're at it, what releases were you disappointed by?For me, Paradise Lost's Tragic Idol is the best this year by far. Brilliant, brilliant album.I'm also really digging John 5's (Rob Zombie's guitarist's) new album. It's an instrumental record with lots of great guitar playing, including a sweet cover of Michael Jackson's Beat It.The new High On Fire and Primal Rock Rebellion albums are also really awesome.The only real disappointment so far for me is the new Slash. It's not bad, but there's nothing to make it stand out. I was hoping it would at least be better than his first album, but it's not.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Metal-wise, Tragic Idol by Paradise Lost, Koloss by Meshuggah, Woods 5 by Woods of Ypres, and Resolution by Lamb of God are my favorites so far.Haven't had any real disappointments yet, honestly. There have been a few albums I purchased for the fun or nostalgia factors and not out of any great love for the bands (the new Lacuna Coil, which was surprisingly good, comes to mind), but I've come across nothing that really screams "terrible" or "boring".

This years releases? Well the new Cattle Decapitation and Aborted are both amazing, plus I was pretty impressed with the new Abominable Putridity and Cannibal Corpse. In addition, we have Dying Fetus, Nile, Kreator, Candlemass, Whitechapel ,Chelsea Grin, Periphery, Testament, Anaal Nathrakh, Behexen, Destruction, Darkthrone, System Divide, Immolation, Autopsy, Agalloch, Neurosis, Disgorge, Arsis, Carpathian Forest, Ragnarok, Cynic, Slayer, Cryptopsy, Obituary, Azaghal and Dark Funeral all apparantly releasing new records, so the rest of the year looks set to be pretty good too, especially for death metal.

Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

I recently listened to brutal death metal. Well, listened to the instrumentals. The vocals were low and guttural to the point of being incomprehensible.

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

I recently listened to brutal death metal. Well, listened to the instrumentals. The vocals were low and guttural to the point of being incomprehensible.

That is the whole point, you know. To my gathering it appears that the vocals in death metal are supposed to be used in manner much similar to the instruments: that is to say that they blend together to complete the overall sound, as opposed to cutting through. And to be honest, it confuses me when people say that they like growled vocals but not the gurgles and pig squeals because they cannot understand them; like you can make out every word the vocalist says in an old school/melodic death metal band anway?

Oh, not a fan of the vocals? Try Demilich. They should be right up your alley.

Eh, Demilich are more technical death, and really not that brutal in my opinion.

sykurafire.jpg

That is the whole point, you know. To my gathering it appears that the vocals in death metal are supposed to be used in manner much similar to the instruments: that is to say that they blend together to complete the overall sound, as opposed to cutting through. And to be honest, it confuses me when people say that they like growled vocals but not the gurgles and pig squeals because they cannot understand them; like you can make out every word the vocalist says in an old school/melodic death metal band anway?
It's not death metal that I'm ripping on, it's brutal death metal. The song I listened to was Flesh Consumed's "Harvesting Humans". While the instrumentals were good, the vocals weren't. I prefer vocals that successfully express what the lyrics are trying to say. You can still have blending vocals without sacrificing the lyrics. Just tone the growling back to where it still sounds savage, but you can understand the vocals. Death metal succeeds to do this, but brutal death metal takes the growling too far. Edited by Mr. Fluffy

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

Oh, not a fan of the vocals? Try Demilich. They should be right up your alley.

Eh, Demilich are more technical death, and really not that brutal in my opinion.
it's probably because the squeals and gurgles sound a little ridiculous to most. they're really over-the-top. compare it to how most people think of harsh vocals in generalalso pretty sure the Demilich thing was a joke. dem burpsto be honest these days i'm jamming more hardcore and pop punk than metal, it's def more my style. i can't stand the negativity in the metal scene, it's such a bummer. that being said though, totally enjoying the new Make Them Suffer album is pretty great, and so is Architects new one. Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

so Devin Townsend, Katatonia, and Paradise Lost are going on a tour together, the Epic Kings and Idols tour, which is named after their respective newest albums similarly to that Alice in Chains/Deftones/Mastodon tour Blackdiamondskye a few years back. If there were any tour I would catch this year given the chance, this would be it. Don't have that chance, but still. Amazing news nonetheless.