The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

I hang out with headbangers, the heavy metal people who listen to the most disturbing, heavy, screaming piece of metal music there is.
This is basically me, and I completely agree with you. :PI too find it strange how sexist metal is, especially considering the idealolgy of it all. But to be fair metal does have an inherently masculine image and that probably puts a lot of women off. Disregarding the obvious names, both Awaiting the Autopsy and Cerebral Bore have female vocalists, and the bass player from Divine Pustulence is also female; those three a pretty brutal slam death bands, not that goth rock rubbish associated with women in metal.You also have to take into account whether girls can actually play metal or not -- particularly with the vocals. Bear in mind that their voices are different to men's, and as such, the majority seem unable to growl effectively. With clean singing a typically higher-pitched voice is going to have more difficulty cutting accros heavier music, no? As for the instrumentation, I personally have not seen many girls on rock bands so that does leave me to wonder as to whether or not they can keep up with the pace, aggresion and often technicality of metal. (I realise that sounds a little sexist but that was not my intention)WIth that said I would like to see more female-fronted bands (paricularly in death and black) as I do enjoy the mixture of clean/harsh vocals, and if they did start to branch out into heavier territiory, they would probably gain more respect. Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

You know what? I'm sick of people treating female fronted metal as if they're less than any other bands in the same genre. I've had people straight up tell me that female vocals in metal, no matter how "metal" it is, can never be metal because chicks can't rock.
...I never said any of that, bro.but listening exclusively to bands with female vocalists is kind of sexisti think it's pretty cool they can fit all that recording equipment into a kitchen though

only in dreams.

You know what? I'm sick of people treating female fronted metal as if they're less than any other bands in the same genre. I've had people straight up tell me that female vocals in metal, no matter how "metal" it is, can never be metal because chicks can't rock.
...I never said any of that, bro.but listening exclusively to bands with female vocalists is kind of sexisti think it's pretty cool they can fit all that recording equipment into a kitchen though
I feel terrible for laughing at this.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

oh yeah making light of discriminatory stereotypestotally cool, broANYWAY even though I hate the whole "djent" fad that's going around I gave Periphery a listen just to hear for myself what the hype is about (and also because the album cover was cool)the music was actually not half bad but good lord those vocals were horrible, they're just those generic whiny vocals you hear in most Sumeriancore bandswhich makes sense considering they're a Sumerian bandbut still.

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

I've never liked any of those labels ever, really (aside from Bleeding Through on Rise)that whole crop of "trendy" metalcore bands made up of (usually Christian) twentysomethings like I The Breather, The Devil Wears Prada, Miss May I and whoever else just isn't my thing at all.

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

I've honestly very rarely seen that at allthere's definitely elitism among some people in the sense that they think "only [x] type of metal is good" or "[x] type of metal sucks", but I really don't recall seeing much in the way of an attitude of "you have to meet these standards to like metal".there are definitely stereotypes that people oftentimes automatically apply a metal fan to (as you kinda did a few posts back but whatever), but that kind of thing is sadly prevalent with pretty much everything, be it a subculture or belief system or personal interests or what have you.it could just be me and my "like what you like and don't what you don't" attitude keeping me from really noticing it, though.

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

I've never liked any of those labels ever, really (aside from Bleeding Through on Rise)that whole crop of "trendy" metalcore bands made up of (usually Christian) twentysomethings like I The Breather, The Devil Wears Prada, Miss May I and whoever else just isn't my thing at all.
The Devil Wears Prada has been decent metalcore ever since Zombie, and Dead Throne was a pretty solid album. Not gonna try and refute the other two arguments.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Now that they ditched their keyboardist, I think their next album could conceivably be a really well put together effort and not the synth-scream stuff they used to get famous with.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

oh yeah making light of discriminatory stereotypestotally cool, bro
you know iteven vespertine said "stereotypes are fun"...until you make them about women, then it isn't coolthat's not a double standard at all, is it(mods, im cooling it on the political stuff now, promise)

only in dreams.

oh yeah making light of discriminatory stereotypestotally cool, broANYWAY even though I hate the whole "djent" fad that's going around I gave Periphery a listen just to hear for myself what the hype is about (and also because the album cover was cool)the music was actually not half bad but good lord those vocals were horrible, they're just those generic whiny vocals you hear in most Sumeriancore bandswhich makes sense considering they're a Sumerian bandbut still.
there's an instrumental version of the debut periphery album if that's your style. the vocals are deffo the weakest part of perry fairy but what makes me get tired of them is the length of their songs. metalcore albums shouldn't be 70 minutes long, that's wrong.for the most part i like a lot of sumerians line up (I See Stars, Betraying The Martyrs, Veil Of Maya, The Faceless, Enfold Darkness, some Asking Alexandria, I The Breather, Upon a Burning Body, Structures, and especially Stick To Your Guns and Stray From The Path are great) but the other half is weak. Rise is actually pretty great these days. they've diversified their lineup with pop punk and some legitimate post-hardcore acts along with the quality of the risecore acts improving too (Memphis May Fire is still amazing for being generic as can be, plus The Air I Breathe, The Color Morale, and Of Mice & Men prove you can make some good tunes within the classic Rise mold) also Rise has The Acacia Strain who are basically the best deathcore band so there's that tooalso i agree Miss May I is probably the most boring risecore artist around, I can barely get through At Heart. it's super dull Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

I'm just completely incapable of enjoying most of those artistsI can't take them seriouslythey're so young and whiny, and the way they often present themselves with their long hair and skinny jeans and V-neck T-shirts..I can't get into anything that conjures up images of scene kids hanging out at Hot Topic and crabcore dancing. I just can't.

gif removed- exceeded 500KB. - WWIn all seriousness, though, while we're talking about Of Mice & Men, Valentino (the drummer bro) needs to go back to Lower Definition. That band was quality.-Teezy

Edited by Van Der

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

naw but on the real though i don't get how youthfulness would be a detractor but if you wanna roll that way go ahead.also SFTP and STYG aren't even whiny so go listen to them at least (also not sumeriancore soooo)also OM&M is probably one of the best risecore acts. yeah they have the whole scene fangirl club behind them but quality songwriting is quality songwritingif you want some new tunes btw check out Hands. they're like sludge metal infused with a hint of post hardcore. amazing band.

Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

I never said anything about judging bands based on their appearance, I was talking about holding people to certain standards and judging whether or not they're metal fans based on thatwhich I don't see muchappearance in a band is important sometimes, because even though the music is the main focus the image and way the band presents themselves often affects how people perceive them.there's just something off-putting, to me, about seeing a bunch of skinny twentysomethings with emo fringe haircuts and V-necks playing metalcore, especially the generic breakdown-heavy kind that those labels have a reputation for.it really just comes down to not being a fan of certain looks and fashion styles, and having those coupled with a type of music you have a distaste for really doesn't help much.

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

yeah i realized that which is why i edited it outsorry duder, carry onstill thinks it's silly to judge a band based on appearance because there are many bands i wouldn't dig if that weren't the caseHarm's Way for example. Judge Hammers looks like the kind of dude who would crush your head with his bicep if you told him his band sucks

Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

You have to bear in mind that a lot of the bands that play generic angsty death/metalcore do look that way, so the image gets associated with the music. On the other end of the spectrum, I do not see many slam death bands with emo haircuts who fight invisible ninjas at shows.

sykurafire.jpg

lol @ being behind the times doethat look is out the door, it's all about 1950's dad haircuts nowi never said the look wasn't a part of the scene but i still think that you should not get looks in the way of your musical enjoyment.if looks mattered that much i would not listen to any slam because those people look like dudes who would get super sensitive if you got slam confused with brutal deathalso ponytails.

Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

I do not really keep up with all this scene rubbish, so I really have no idea other than the stereotypes and blind hatred. :P*Looks at picture* Oh Christ. Is that regarded as cool now?True on the slam part, but when you get technical with all the death metal sub and crossover genres you really should know what you are talking about, lest you look stupid -- the same with any interest really.Ponytails? Is that good or bad bad? Beacuse I have one... (although it is that thick it looks ridiculous so I rarely tie it back, but whatever)Oh and while I am here, check out the new(ish) Undergang record: Til Døden Os Skiller.

sykurafire.jpg

wood rather look like that then stereotypical metalhead/10but yes that is what is cool nowalso i feel like people shouldn't get worked up about that stuff. it's cool to be really into music and all (i mean i am) but at the end of the day it's just another form of entertainment and getting angry because people don't like what you like is just juvenile. it's mindbottling how people stress hard over nothing. it's supposed to be fun, so why ruin someone else's?ponytails aren't necessarily bad but to me they're an indicator of whether or not someone is going to be an imn

nhsYE.jpg

1950's dad haircuts do not really do it for me, but whatever floats your boat. I have hair half way down my back but that is it for the stereotypical metalhead look. (I stopped wearing band shirts because of all the comments I got, plus I prefer long sleeves so more formal shirts are my thing)I see what you are saying, but -to me at least- metal is still as good as when it began; the idealogy behind it an whatnot, whereas other genres (especially punk) seem to have lost that. I do not like this style of music because I find it to be boring and generic, but that is my opinion. Like it if you will. The problem I have is the fans who worship these -core bands thinking that they are some underground br00tal trve metalhead because of it, but think that other forms of death, (apart from -core is rubbish) that any form of growling apart from the higher-pitched screams and pig squeals are pointless, and that most of the older bands are has beens. Seriously, I heard about one guy who said that some scene kid told him the UK has never done anything for metal, apart from this one -core band. (I forget the name) They can like what they want, but when they start spouting utter bull about what you like, it is different. You get it in all forms of entertainment: the new guy gets into the more accessible stuff but does understand it fully so never moves on and then acts like he knows everything. You can see why people get ######.Oh well. Most peole here probably view me as an internet metal nerd (I assume that is what "imn" stands for? I am not big on all this "tl;dr" "lmao" stuff) so I am fine with that. :P

Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

deffo check out the new Whitechapel album, it's absolutely their strongest work. they've evolved a ton since the somatic defilement, and you can really notice on it
the biggest reason why I hated the first album was due to the disgusting, misogynist lyrics.. how are the lyrics on this new album? I've really not looked into much Whitechapel at all so I've no idea where they're at from a lyrical standpoint nowadays.and yes I know this response is really late ;___;

this time around the lyrics are more "society sucks lol ur all worthless people suck" so basically mediocre but they're sufficient also the reason for the misogynistic lyrics on TSD was because it was a concept album (lol @ deathcore concept albums) about Jack The Ripper who was not exactly a feminist but i can see how they'd be off-putting

nhsYE.jpg

So I recently picked up the deluxe version of Leveler by August Burns Red. Possibly the tightest metalcore I've ever heard.

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

never got the hype around them, honestly. they're not bad and I vaguely remember hearing a song or two that I liked, but people are always touting ABR as this amazing band and one of the best metalcore bands out there but I really don't hear it.always struck me as kind of generic, tbh.

just picked up the new Whitechapel, and I've got to say, it comes in one of the coolest digipaks I've seen, and I've never liked digipaks at all. it's not just the standard smooth glossy cardboard like most digipaks. most of it is actually textured like an old book or something, except for the sawblade which is smooth.even the disc is cooler than most, the design on it is in the shape of a sawblade rather than just a big round decal.if I was one of those really specific reviewer types who rates the packaging, I'd give it a solid 4/5. it doesn't have any spectacular fancy features but for a simple digipak it has a really great design.