The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

ARGH! Ya beat me to the topic! I think this year so far hasnt been bad, in my eyes at least. I saw SOAD live, picked up the Iron Maiden "From Fear To Eternity" and am going to Judas Priest when they come. Black Sabbath also announced a reunion tour and album, and Metallica has that project going with Lou Reed. Yes, things are going well.

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

ARGH! Ya beat me to the topic! I think this year so far hasnt been bad, in my eyes at least. I saw SOAD live, picked up the Iron Maiden "From Fear To Eternity" and am going to Judas Priest when they come. Black Sabbath also announced a reunion tour and album, and Metallica has that project going with Lou Reed. Yes, things are going well.

The Black Sabbath thing was never actually announced. Tony Iommi made a statement saying that the journalist was making things up and spreading rumors and that Iommi never said anything about a reunion.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

OH I can't believe I forgot. Anybody pick up the new Amon Amarth earlier this year? I was a little late to the party, got it a couple months back. Album slays.

I listened to it, and it was definitely good, but just didn't hook me like Twilight of the Thunder God did and I don't know why, but I'm just not that impressed with it :shrugs:

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I heard they were still working on it, but I dunno.I don't really care either way, personally - I love Metallica's first five albums to death (say what you will about post-Black Album Metallica, but that album itself was great) but I recently realized that at this point they're not much more than irrelevant, washed-up rock stars like so many others, more concerned with their image than with making truly good music.To quote Metallica themselves, "it's sad but true".

I heard they were still working on it, but I dunno. I don't really care either way, personally - I love Metallica's first five albums to death (say what you will about post-Black Album Metallica, but that album itself was great) but I recently realized that at this point they're not much more than irrelevant, washed-up rock stars like so many others, more concerned with their image than with making truly good music. To quote Metallica themselves, "it's sad but true".

I second this entirely. Anything after the self-titled is awful. (Although I do like The Day That Never Comes)

Also, anybody got any good doom metal suggestions? (Various subgenres also) I have found some that I really like, but a lot of it is a bit boring, to be honest.

sykurafire.jpg

EDIT: ^ For doom metal, Warning and Agalloch are fantastic

> Metallica has that project going with Lou Reed> Things are going well ಠ_ಠ Edited by G.I.R

only in dreams.

I've been listening to Rammstein religiously. For those who don't know, Rammstein is a German "Industrial Metal" band. Missed my chance to see them live, but it's all good. I'd recommend songs "Amerika," "Mann gegen Mann," "Haifisch," and "Ich tu dir Weh" off the top of my head. I'm also a big fan of System of a Down. Any song of theirs is fantastic. Saw them live in LA back in May. Probably the greatest concert I've ever been to. I listen to Metallica as well, but not as much. May or may not see them in San Francisco in December. -SK

Edited by Shadow Kurahk

I've been listening to Rammstein religiously. For those who don't know, Rammstein is a German "Industrial Metal" band. Missed my chance to see them live, but it's all good. I'd recommend songs "Amerika," "Mann gegen Mann," "Haifisch," and "Ich tu dir Weh" off the top of my head. I'm also a big fan of System of a Down. Any song of theirs is fantastic. Saw them live in LA back in May. Probably the greatest concert I've ever been to. I listen to Metallica as well, but not as much. May or may not see them in San Francisco in December. -SK

Rammstein are great. I saw them at a festival last year and their pyrotechnics don't disappoint. Mutter is a fantastic album.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

OH I can't believe I forgot. Anybody pick up the new Amon Amarth earlier this year? I was a little late to the party, got it a couple months back. Album slays.

I never quite got into Amon Amarth, I listen to them occaisionally, but for Viking Metal, Ensiferum is where its at!

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

Slightly off topic to the current discussion, but I'm just wondering, did anyone listen to the new Dream Theater? if so, what were your thoughts? I personally rank it as one of their top 2 best albums, beside Octavaium.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Triptykon.Just... Triptykon. Met most of the band members @ Wacken Open Air this year.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

@Dorek: Really? I thought 2011 has been pretty great so far. We've gotten new Opeth, Mastodon, In Flames, Machine Head, Anthrax, and Dream Theater, and have the new Megadeth on the way - among countless others.. better than 2010, in my opinion. @Varaka: yes, yes they do

In Flames was good, every other album was pretty bad, in my opinion, though I haven't caught the Dream Theater one; they aren't really my style. Just because they're big names doesn't mean the album is good =P

@Superbionicle: please go listen to some better bands.

aaaaand there it is. Nothing wrong with Mudvayne or Slipknot. Are they the best? I wouldn't say so. But they're far from bad.

@Dorek: Really? I thought 2011 has been pretty great so far. We've gotten new Opeth, Mastodon, In Flames, Machine Head, Anthrax, and Dream Theater, and have the new Megadeth on the way - among countless others.. better than 2010, in my opinion. @Varaka: yes, yes they do

In Flames was good, every other album was pretty bad, in my opinion, though I haven't caught the Dream Theater one; they aren't really my style. Just because they're big names doesn't mean the album is good =P

aaaaand there it is. Nothing wrong with Mudvayne or Slipknot. Are they the best? I wouldn't say so. But they're far from bad.

However, just because you think that just because they're big names doesn't mean they're good doesn't mean that we still don't like them. I loved all the albums I've heard this year. Also I despise Slipknot.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Also, anybody got any good doom metal suggestions? (Various subgenres also) I have found some that I really like, but a lot of it is a bit boring, to be honest.

Pantheist, Mourning Beloveth and early Anathema are great.

For doom metal, Warning and Agalloch are fantastic

I wouldn't really call Agalloch doom. Edited by Etiainen

The following statement is false. The following statement is false. The previous two statements are true. The previous three statements are false. This statement is false. The previous two statements are true. The truthfulness of the second statement is inversely proportional to the truthfulness of the fifth statement. This is totally not confusing at all. This signature contains no false information. All of the preceding sentences are false.

I've fallen in love with "...And Justice For All". The guitars are so insanely heavy that... well... Holy ######, I can't describe how much it pumps me up... It also makes me want to get a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier amp, run the preamp through a Marshall power section, and just crank out the heavy riffs... Or just go with a regular Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. Also: I'm hoping that I can get Th1rt3en Deluxe Edition as well... Although I already have a bunch of vinyl, I have no Megadeth vinyl. :<

ace_combat.jpg
"Slyph Squadron, engaging."

However, just because you think that just because they're big names doesn't mean they're good doesn't mean that we still don't like them. I loved all the albums I've heard this year. Also I despise Slipknot.

xinlo-small.gif

And this is exactly what was wrong with the previous topic; people judging each other unfairly because of musical tastes, and assuming that bands are good simply because of their status or genre. I happened to not like many metal albums that came out this year (and I even saw Megadeth in concert, performing some of the new songs, and I was less than impressed. Peace Sells was the most interesting song they played, sadly), despite some big names releasing stuff.

xinlo-small.gifAnd this is exactly what was wrong with the previous topic; people judging each other unfairly because of musical tastes, and assuming that bands are good simply because of their status or genre.

This annoys me too. I mean, the majority of what I listen to is mainly death and black, but I also like a fair bit of "-core" myself, only however, bands that I deem to be more metal than core. You shall not find me saying that Black Veil Brides are death metal or anything like those ####### cool dudes. I suppose that I am an elitist in the sense that it has to be more than sixty percent metal influenced to be considered as real metal. Also, you should totally check out Sylosis (melodic death/thrash) just got into them recently and am loving it. Also thanks for the doom suggestions.

sykurafire.jpg

@Dorek: I'm somewhat confused by the wording of your post... Are you agreeing with me, or saying that I'm being judgmental?

xinlo-small.gif

Edited by Xinlo: Spirit Of Sonics

E8c8QpP.jpg

Also, I'm sure you all know about Lulu? Thoughts on that? xinlo-small.gif

I'm actually pretty excited for Lulu. It's an interesting sound with Metallica's style with Reed's vocals. I pre-ordered it. I'm more excited for the new Megadeth album. Speaking of which, anyone here that new song they've been streaming? Whose Life (Is It Anyway?).
"Be quiet! Do you wanna wake the whole planet?!"
"...I do."

I downloaded it from their site the second I woke up, been listening to it all day. IMO it's the second best they've released from the new album so far, behind Public Enemy. My main issue with it is that moment right when the vocals start just doesn't sound... right. Otherwise I love it.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

Am I the only person who listens to The Chariot?

Nawp bro, saw 'em live back in June. It was INSANE. Speaking of insane live shows, I caught the Black Dahlia Murder, All Shall Perish and Cannabis Corpse last Friday. It was so great, definitely one of the best shows I've been to in a while. The venue was super tiny so I was able to get right up next to the bands. Moshing during ASP was definitely one of the best concert going experiences I had. So what concerts did you guys all see during the downtime? Anyone hear the new Oh, Sleeper album? Easily one of the best albums this year so far. Shane's clean vocals are perfection, everything about that album kills. Now if Pig Destroyer could go finish their new album I could die happy.

Incantation is pretty rad Death/Doom. Also Naked City, a fantastic Jazz/Grindcore band released a doom ep called Leng Tch'e. It's pretty awesome Also yay for the forums being back. I figure I'll probably change my name back to Idunnolol since that's how everyone remembered me. Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Lately I've been listening to a lot of industrial metal like Ministry, RevCo KMFDM, and Army of the Universe. Anybody have any suggestions for other bands like these? (I already know Rammstein)

Skold. See if you can find his latest album Anomie. He sometimes plays with KMFDM and even did an album with them called Skold vs. KMFDM, you might want to check that out too. Edited by -Malchior-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

so has anyone here heard of I Am Abomination? they're this super radical band that sadly isn't more well known. they play a form of melodic metalcore that also edges on the technical side at times. what makes them unique is that their vocalist sings in a style that's reminiscent of pop punk vocalists. it's really interesting and quite frankly pretty freaking awesome. check out their ep Passion of the Heist. it's even more impressive when you consider they only have 2 members at the moment. if you're a fan of Protest the Hero I'd recommend you check it out. you won't regret it.

nhsYE.jpg

I'm sort of a newb to the hardcore/metal genre, but I'm surprise no one has mentioned Underoath. So far I'm really into them and MyChildren MyBride. Other than that I havn't branched out too far :P

I am/Have been:

Thomas.Hunter

Thomas of Hunter

Valborg Svensson

ThePatronSaintOfLostCauses

I've been gone for awhile. Thought I'd come back for the new fourms.

Meeting and greeting (and taking a picture with) Vanja Slajh from the awesome band Triptykon. That was this year's Wacken Open Air. And yeah, that's not my best face. xD Edited by Valenti

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Just saw Opeth last night. I was so excited when they played Face of Melinda, but then they decided to play Porcelain Heart right afterward. Boo hoo. But they played A Fair Judgement later, so all is well.

The following statement is false. The following statement is false. The previous two statements are true. The previous three statements are false. This statement is false. The previous two statements are true. The truthfulness of the second statement is inversely proportional to the truthfulness of the fifth statement. This is totally not confusing at all. This signature contains no false information. All of the preceding sentences are false.