The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

it's lineups like these that make me wish I had the means to go see shows. Demanufacture is by far my favorite from them plus one of my favorite metal albums in general, while Soilwork are in my top 5 favorite bands of all time. would love to see a show like that.

also I'm pretty much decades late on this but I've been getting into Type O Negative recently. October Rust is my favorite so far, such an incredible album. RIP Peter Steele, I wish I'd been a fan while he was still alive.

Mechanize is definitely my second favorite, but I've always felt it sounds more like a Divine Heresy album featuring Burton C. Bell than a traditional Fear Factory album. there was more of a focus on pummeling riffs and aggression and not enough on the electronics and futuristic atmosphere which is what made them different in the first place. the industrial took a backseat to the metal instead of sharing the spotlight like it did before.

the lyrics and concept also weren't as interesting and plus, yknow, there's just the simple fact that Demanufacture is a stone-cold classic and one of the most influential metal albums of all time.

I've also always hated Mechanize's production, in particular the mastering. way, way too loud and overcompressed to the point that it becomes tiring and hard on the ears to listen to for long periods.

Edited by Scythey

Mechanize is definitely my second favorite, but I've always felt it sounds more like a Divine Heresy album featuring Burton C. Bell than a traditional Fear Factory album. there was more of a focus on pummeling riffs and aggression and not enough on the electronics and futuristic atmosphere which is what made them different in the first place. the industrial took a backseat to the metal instead of sharing the spotlight like it did before.

the lyrics and concept also weren't as interesting and plus, yknow, there's just the simple fact that Demanufacture is a stone-cold classic and one of the most influential metal albums of all time.

I've also always hated Mechanize's production, in particular the mastering. way, way too loud and overcompressed to the point that it becomes tiring and hard on the ears to listen to for long periods.

Haven't heard much of Divine Heresy so I can't really comment on that. I think the aggression fits well though, and I do agree with you on the electronics and atmosphere. 

That's one of the reasons Demanufacture is so great, it combines all those things.

And yeah, the lyrics aren't too interesting but that's not my main reason for listening, so I can live with it.

that final exit tho

Yessss.

Edited by Bambi

so guys this is easily the best album I've heard so far this year and it's (currently) name-your-price with no minimum (so essentially free) on Bandcamp. absolutely stellar debut by an up-and-coming Swedish melodic black metal band, highly recommended for fans of Emperor, Dissection, later Hypocrisy, etc. as well as meloblack and melodeath in general.

Edited by Scythey

Anybody else listen to the new Anthrax album?

I've given it a fair few spins at this point, and the end result is that it's quite disappointing. It's not terrible or anything; it's a decent enough album with a couple of great songs in there, but it just ends up being bland and such a huge step down from Worship Music. I was hoping that it would grow on me after a few listens, but it's not happening. A shame really, it looked like they were back to being great with Worship.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 4 weeks later...

listened to the new song a couple dozen times yesterday, it's excellent. sounds like the last three albums all rolled into a single track.

there are also rumors that the new album will contain a return of some of the death/doom elements of their earlier work. stoked to hear if that's true.

probably going to pre-order the CD/DVD version from Amazon later this month.

Just got home from the Fear Factory/Soilwork show. It was incredible, Soilwork was amazing and did a great job. They played mostly newer stuff, mainly from The Living Infinite, but there was some older stuff here and there.

Fear Factory completely blew me away. They sounded tight, Burton didn't screw up the vocals, it was all so surreal. Songs like Self Bias Resistor, New Breed, and Body Hammer were crazy to hear live.

Now I can die happy lol.

Edited by Bambi

^speaking of shows, found out recently about the Blood Moon shows Converge has been doing in Europe. it's Converge along with Chelsea Wolfe and members of Cave In and Neurosis performing as a multi-instrumental collective doing renditions of some of Converge's slower, more experimental material. pretty much sounds like the best thing ever, I'd kill to see that.

also the new Deftones album is really good, got my pre-order last night and it's stellar

hey me too what are the odds

any styles/bands in particular?

I like Dragonforce, Sabaton, and Dream Theater mainly.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

hey me too what are the odds

any styles/bands in particular?

I like Dragonforce, Sabaton, and Dream Theater mainly.

Sabaton's cool and Dream Theater's 90s stuff is excellent, especially Scenes from a Memory.

one band you'd probably enjoy is Blind Guardian. pretty much the best power metal out there imo.

also Nails released a new track and it rips

whaaaaaaat

how did i miss this

yes it does rip. but then, everything nails does really rips and id really like to know how they do it outside of just playing with that much intensity

like their mixes are never muddy but they are absolutely crushing...i bet kurt ballou mixes their stuff.

only in dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard the stream for the new Gorguts EP Pleiades Dust yet? It's a very good longform composition IMO, gets bogged down in places (but that's to be expected at 30+ min)... It reminds me of a looser, more laid back Colored Sands at points.

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.

that's def on my to-listen list, I've heard great things about it. loved Colored Sands too so the comparisons are welcome.

also everybody should check out the new Vektor album. it's being hyped up as a new metal classic and tbh it probably deserves it

it basically sounds like if Chuck Schuldiner went to space and recruited a bunch of aliens and showed them Anacrusis, Rush, and Rust in Peace-era Megadeth and then they decided to make an album together

Edited by Chelsea Wolfe

I'm giving that Vektor album a listen, and it's pretty good. Reminds me of the slightly-pre Nothingface- era Voivod (Which is not a bad thing) and the vox are very Schuldiner-ish for sure! Also feeling some Atheist influence there, which is also good!

• Upvote 1

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.

jk, he confirmed in the band's Facebook bio that they are disbanded for good

new Insomnium kind-of-album was announced. Winter's Gate will be dropping September 23. it's going to be a single 40-minute track telling the story of a group of vikings who set out to find a fabled island west of Ireland. bit of a surprising stylistic turn for the band to take but color me stoked regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

are triple posts ok? I hope so because this is pretty important

Justin Hill has left Sikth. he's been replaced by Joe Rosser from Graham Pinney's other band Aliases, who does have a similar voice/style, but it's still a bummer.

the first release with the new vocalist will be a full-length coming sometime next year.

are triple posts ok? I hope so because this is pretty important

Justin Hill has left Sikth. he's been replaced by Joe Rosser from Graham Pinney's other band Aliases, who does have a similar voice/style, but it's still a bummer.

the first release with the new vocalist will be a full-length coming sometime next year.

hey wait no they just got back together :(

only in dreams.

Septicflesh has started writing a new album, which they're going to be recording later this year with producer Jens Bogren for an early 2017 release. stoked, hopefully it's better than Titan (which wasn't bad, just not as interesting as Sumerian Daemons, Communion, or The Great Mass).

oh, Windrider, if you're still looking for metal recommendations and don't mind harsh vocals, Septicflesh might be one to check out. they play a melodic, atmospheric form of death metal backed by a full orchestra. their guitarist is an accomplished composer of orchestral music who, among other things, has a Master's Degree in concert music and has had his works debuted at the prestigious Cacoyannis Theater in Athens, Greece. The Great Mass would be a great album to start with.

oh, Windrider, if you're still looking for metal recommendations and don't mind harsh vocals, Septicflesh might be one to check out. they play a melodic, atmospheric form of death metal backed by a full orchestra. their guitarist is an accomplished composer of orchestral music who, among other things, has a Master's Degree in concert music and has had his works debuted at the prestigious Cacoyannis Theater in Athens, Greece. The Great Mass would be a great album to start with.

Yeah, harsh vocals are totally cool. I've been totally stressed out recently and haven't listened to the other recs other than Katatonia, but this band sounds like it would be something I'd like. Thanks for the detailed suggestions, as always.

Oh, Windrider, totally forgot to mention it last time, but you should definitely check out The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus as well. Phenomenal progressive metal album, with elements of avant-garde, symphonic and black metal. Has a great dark ethereal atmosphere and great compositions. Their keyboardist is a classically trained pianist, and they make great use of his talents.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___